MongoDB Reviews | Glassdoor

MongoDB Reviews

Updated August 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great flexibility, honesty, lots of opportunity to grow and work life balance are the major theme of my daily work here (in 13 reviews)

• There are a lot of really smart people at MongoDB combined with a nurturing culture (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to set your own limits as far as work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Open source technology can always dilute the messaging of the enterprise offering (in 13 reviews)

"Long Term"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at MongoDB think very long term about the product and our customers, and are working to build a once per generation company.

Cons

Disrupting a big market is hard work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what we're doing.

"Let's keep it going!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After another strong year, the company is growing faster than ever. Depending how the market is, I can see us going for IPO in the near future. I've also been here for a few years and the company continuously promotes employees from within and has started leadership training for all hiring managers.

Cons

The company isn't as small as it used to be. Company off-site meetings are split between departments, which is norman once you grow. If you are looking to join a fresh startup (15-50 people) this isn't the place for you.

No real recognition for employees who have been here for 4+ years. Although we have unlimited vacation days, it would be great for the company to offer some benefits for employees reaching the 4-5 year mark.

Advice to Management

Great job rolling out leadership training. Don't forget about the employees who brought the company to what it is today.

"Growing Up Ain't Easy...But It Is Rewarding"

Pros

Strong leadership, especially in sales.
    Recognized and rewarded for results.
    Great to be NYC-based.
    Employee benefits are good, offices are nice.
    People are mostly very strong, some are exceptional, few are average or below.
    Real and earnest effort to face complex topics of culture, diversity, employee development, transparency, values.

Cons

Management development is under way but it is still early and many managers know not much more than their reports.
    Market is slow to change.
    It is still old-fashioned enterprise software go to market for the most part. Tried but true.

Advice to Management

Company is on a good and positive trajectory. Continue to improve the quality of our products and our go to market.

"Software Engineering Intern"

Pros

fast growth, fun people, high tech

Cons

not too much to say

"MongoDB is the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Up and coming company with an outstanding cast of characters. Starts with strong and committed leadership.

Differentiated product in what's been a stale marketplace for decades. MongoDB is ready to capture market share at a rapid and long-term clip.

Culture is one of accountability, camaraderie, support and excitement.

Cons

You can put in long hours if you don't pay attention to your time management. There is no pressure to work long hours... there is just so much to do. Work/life balance is promoted here, it can just be tough to pull it off at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the commitment to your people.

"Awesome place to work and grow"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Get to work with extremely smart people and learn something everyday. Huge opportunity.

Cons

Be prepared for changes since the company moves very fast.

Advice to Management

Keep the top talent engaged and happy. Continue to be transparent.

"Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Perks (unlimited vacation, free lunch, stocked kitchens)
    -Amazing Office (pool table, ping pong, basketball, standing desks, scooters, etc)
    -Great Benefits
    -A lot of office activities
    -Employees are really smart and motivated, which makes for a great work environment
    -Breaks are encouraged and everyone eats lunch together, which helps bridge gaps between departments

Cons

I honestly cannot think of too many negative things about MongoDB. Some people find the location of the office (Times Square) to be a bit annoying...but it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep up the open dialogue and continue involving your employees in all levels of decision making

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technology is transforming the industry. Customers and community members love using MongoDB.

There are interesting problems to solve across the organization (engineering, sales, marketing, etc.) and smart, collaborative people working on them. I am always learning something new here.

The company is growing quickly and there are opportunities for career advancement and expansion of responsibilities.

The work environment is also high-energy and fun, and teams enjoy socializing together.

Cons

We're growing quickly and things move fast, so you have to be adaptable. The standards are high and you have to be prepared for 100% accountability.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with employees and focus on training & development.

"Growing Fast"

I have been working at MongoDB full-time

Pros

Smart people - Without a doubt, this is MongoDB's biggest asset. Company is growing, and overall morale is very positive. Quality leadership, which leads to a cool culture.

Cons

The cons are minor and typical for any company experiencing the rapid growth we're seeing here. If anything, the biggest challenge will be maintaining the culture as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring standards high. While there is certainly a focus on growth, there needs to be a continued focus on quality.

10. "Lots of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales & marketing is firing on all cylinders. New executive leadership seems to know what they're doing and they're driving some really positive changes. There's also been an increase in transparency, which a lot of people appreciate. The company is maturing and growing at a time when a lot of companies in a related space are floundering.

Cons

Engineering black box
    Product deficiencies that are pushed out a year or more
    Tightening of budget which affect comp

Advice to Management

The recent changes have been good for the company. Put some focus on engineering.
    Continue being transparent about the business.
    Be scrappier.