KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MongoDB

Engaged Employer

MongoDB

Add a Review

MongoDB Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 24, 2020

Found 71 of over 879 reviews

4.7
MongoDB CEO Dev Ittycheria
Dev Ittycheria
Pros
  • "Highly recommend working at MongoDB(in 102 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance: MongoDB treats its employees better than any other company I have worked for in the past(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The are no downsides to working at MongoDB(in 35 reviews)

• "Work life balance is hard to guarantee(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about MongoDB

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MongoDB and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Work is never boring

Oct 15, 2020 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work is always exciting. There's always new projects going on since the product is still growing. Work/life balance is good. Great place to grow a career and improve systems and c++ knowledge

Cons

none that i can think of

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing financial opportunity, at a cost

Jun 24, 2020 - Enterprise Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB has the right market, the right technology, and the right Executive management to continue aggressive growth in one of the largest markets in enterprise technology. The opportunity to build a financial future here with the comp plan and equity structure (even as a public company) is unparalleled. Tops reps are paid well, no penalty in future years quota for overachieving etc. Executive management is top notch.

Cons

Expect 10-14 hour days, five days a week with the expectation that to be successful you'll probably need to work on the weekends too. Force management "command of the message" is a religion, not a guide. Tone deaf of any real culture, lack of diversity amongst sales teams (predominantly white male). AE's are expected to manage like enterprise account executives, but are managed at times like SDRs (call blitz, prep your list of 100 names, who are you going to call and why, track every meeting, etc). Process works, but at what cost? Most reps <12 months here will agree this is the most demanding job they've ever had in sales, and even if financially successful, at what cost to work/life balance & mental health? Not sure how any family oriented rep (especially female) could build a career here with expectations and many single/non family oriented males in sales leadership.

26 people found this review helpful

MongoDB Response

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; we appreciate the positives that you have highlighted and also respect your concerns and take them seriously. While we do have high expectations of all of our employees, we also actively encourage a work/life balance and establishing a clear operating rhythm that supports both. The sales culture is meritocratic and focused on growth. We have a robust sales process which is based on years of research and data and has proven to deliver consistent success. However, we also acknowledge that this does require consistent hard work to master, especially in your first year at MongoDB. We also remain highly committed to developing and progressing all of our employees' careers and we reward achievement through both commission and equity (as well as competitive base salary). We believe it is very important to us to maintain an environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging, always. We recognize the importance of our employees’ mental health and wellbeing and offer mental health programs to our employees where they can receive confidential assistance from qualified professionals. These include WorkLifeMatters, Spring Health, and Headspace, to name a few. Further, MongoDB is committed to Diversity & Inclusion to build a culture of inclusion that embraces and values differences, freeing the genius within our employees, customers, users and communities. Earlier this year, we set a company objective to increase representation, particularly at the leadership level. In addition, we recently launched our company-wide DI strategy focused on 4 pillars: People, Culture, Customers/Users and Community; and we launched Decoding Inclusion, an educational series aimed at building community and raising awareness of differences. In addition, we continue to ramp our diversity recruiting work to access talent from underrepresented communities through new external strategic partnerships. We encourage you and all current employees to reach out to their respective People Partner or anyone in their chain of communication to raise concerns and talk through issues to ensure everyone is working in an environment in which they feel safe and can thrive. If you would be open to sharing more, please get in touch with your People Partner or send an email to jess.katz@mongodb.com.

3. 5.0

Happier here than the past 10yrs of jobs

Aug 19, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Work/Life Balance: MongoDB treats its employees better than any other company I have worked for in the past. The workload is reasonable and there is an unlimited vacation policy. + No on-call: Depending on your team/role, there is no pagers duty and relatively low operations. I'm only asked to help when there are high priority production issues. The rest of the time I work on sprint work. + RSUs & Stock Purchase Program: The company stock has been doing well since IPO, many employees are well compensated past their starting comp. The company runs an employee stock purchase program 2x per year where you can make some money by reinvesting your paycheck (with some risk). + Specific purpose & product lines: MongoDB focuses on database products. We are all focused on it. Compared to other companies that "do everything", all employees are able to focus our energy on what matters.

Cons

- Overall compensation is lower than competition for software engineering compared to FAANG companies. It means that if you care about the money, you go and work yourself much harder at another company. Or you make less at MongoDB but enjoy life & the work. -

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

MongoDB ADR Position Review

Jul 30, 2020 - Account Development Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

- MongoDB is an overall outstanding company and I couldn't be happier with my choice to come here - Our product is by far the best in the industry and the Database space has endless opportunities and will only continue to grow. - Great management/leadership from the top down that have proven to care about your personal and professional goals, push you in the right direction, and remain transparent. - An inclusive culture that is highly collaborative, diverse, and fun. - Opportunities for advancement are everywhere, vertically and horizontally. Internal promotions are the standard. - The compensation is great for an ADR/SDR role. - PTO is encouraged and so is a healthy work/life balance. - The entry-level ADR/SDR team is the gold standard for what a sales development program should look like. You'll learn everything you need to know about prospecting and become extremely well rounded for a transition to a closing role.

Cons

- The only con I can possibly think of is when you're going through the interview process the recruitment team will tell you that you can get promoted from SDR/ADR to Account Executive within a year if you're a top performer. A realistic timeline, even for a top performer, is more likely 1.5-2 years, especially with the team growing so fast.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

I had a great Intern and New Grad experience at MongoDB

Oct 15, 2020 - Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mentorship- I had a mentor as an intern, and on every team I rotated on as a New grad. However, mentorship is not limited to your mentor. So many people have helped me and offered mentorship and advice. Flexibility- I was able to have input into what team I intern on, and what 3 teams I rotated on before picking one. I really enjoyed that, and it helped me pick a team where I can do work that I love. I also loved the culture at mongoDB. There were so many social events and opportunities to get to know each other. There is also a great work life balance which I value a lot.

Cons

If any issues came up, I was able to bring it up to my recruiter (as an intern or new grad) or with my manager, and they have been very understanding and helpful.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible place to build a career and get your masters in sales

Jul 30, 2020 - Corporate Account Executive Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

-I've worked at MongoDB over the last 2.5 years, been promoted 2x, and have learned more about myself professionally and personally than I ever thought a job could teach me. There are so many opportunities to advance - whether that be management, the field, marketing, product, you name it and the team here will make it happen. -Senior Sales Leadership all the way up to our C-Suite are incredibly intelligent, driven, caring, individuals. I could not say enough things about the leadership at this company. -Our product is the best- hands down. -There is an incredible culture around learning, development, career growth as well as a very open/transparent culture. You are always learning here! -You're surrounded by A-players everywhere you look and a rising tide raises all boats! -I've gotten my masters in sales and now have the opportunity to teach others. -Work/life balance is encouraged and PTO is incredibly flexible - An incredible company overall- excited to continue to build my career here.

Cons

-Incredibly challenging job (but ultimately very worthwhile). -No 401k match

7. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Horrible work life balance and micromanagement

Aug 27, 2020 - Client Services
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good compensation, growth opportunities, good product. The top leadership is solid and driving the company in the right direction.

Cons

There is no work life balance. Expect to spend 10-12 hours everyday for work and sometimes on the weekends too and this affects the mental health. The leadership team has done a good job of giving some days off but the burnout is real. You have to decide whether you want this financial opportunity or physical and mental well being. Especially if you have a family with kids, its going to be really tough. You have unlimited PTO but you cant really use it. You have constant pressure to deliver and if you take time off , it piles up. I think it will be better to have fixed number of days for time off. You will hear that there are a bunch of benefits like spring health etc but let me tell you whatever it is you will go back to the same state because you have so much work pressure to deliver. Micromanagement is real. Beware if you are used to operating in an environment which is independent/has minimal supervision.

16 people found this review helpful

MongoDB Response

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback; we appreciate the positives that you have highlighted and also respect your concerns and take them seriously. If you would be open to sharing more, please get in touch with your People Partner. At MongoDB, we believe that in order to give our best at work and also live a well-balanced life, we all need to take time off for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation. Our flexible PTO ethos is applied globally to ensure employees take time to refresh, relax, and unwind. This policy is based on mutual trust and communication between every employee and their manager. We aim to provide you with all of the tools you need to achieve a positive work-life blend. We also recognize the importance of our employees’ mental health and wellbeing. We want to break the stigma around mental health, and provide our employees with all of the support they need, especially at work. We are dedicated to providing our employees with valuable tools to face all of life’s challenges. We offer mental health programs to our employees where they can receive confidential assistance from qualified professionals. These include our Employee Assistance Program, access to mental health professionals through your medical insurance, and Headspace, in addition to Spring. We encourage all our employees to raise concerns and share feedback so that we can take action to continuously improve our organization.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Biggest Growth Opportunity I've had!

Aug 5, 2020 - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

MongoDB is an incredible company with incredible technology. The pros of the SDR are a ton! There's so much growth that happens in this position, and it truly opens the door to any sales job in tech. You get to learn the nitty gritty of a sales job and are trained to perform at the highest level. The standard for work is exceptional and you get the feeling you are constantly working amongst the best in the industry.

Cons

There isn't much work/life balance, and the company culture in sales is highly competitive and many times you find yourself working overtime (self-imposed). Since MongoDB is going through exponential growth changes occur constantly.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best thing that's ever happened to my career

Oct 5, 2020 - Customer Success Team Lead in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The team: The smartest, most creative, and genuine people I have ever worked with. Very strong team culture - Support upward mobility and long-term career growth - Strong mentors and leaders - Great work/life balance

Cons

- I have none -

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Support and Collaboration

Aug 18, 2020 - Customer Success in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Management/Upper Management believes in MongoDB employees and values what we do to shape the future of the company. I'm surrounded by intelligent individuals who genuinely care about my thought process and well-being. - Emphasis on work life balance - Generous PTO - Energy days - Great healthcare benefits, including a Headspace subscription!

Cons

None yet... I genuinely feel excited to work every day

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 Reviews