Monitor Group Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Monitor Group President Bansi Nagji
Bansi Nagji

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Tough work life balance, significant travel sometimes required (in 16 reviews)

• You work very long hours and sometimes is due to lack of work structure and plan (in 20 reviews)

1. "I feel fortunate to work with the intellectually curious and extremely competent people at Monitor."

Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The reason you work anywhere is because of a) the colleagues that you work with on projects, b) the types of projects that you work on are meaningful and rewarding and c) your compensation and growth projections are fair. In my opinion, in all three criteria The Monitor Group exceeds.

Cons

The Monitor Group has made a tremendous effort and succeeded triumphantly to improve the collaboration and cross-fertilization between their various groups.

Advice to Management

The Leadership in Monitor always provides clear and timely information to their employees about the state of the organization and where we are growing.

2. "Very smart people, interesting work, sub-par compensation"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Monitor Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with, projects were great as well.

Cons

Lower pay vs. competitors. Long hours.

3. "As an admin. its a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monitor Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young consultants are very fun, intelligent.
    The admin team is great! We bond very well.
    It is awesome to work at a place and actually feel needed - although I am not a client-facing part of this company, I still feel like an essential part of it.

Cons

Consultants are busy people, who are not always conscious of the people on the staff team. We are often cleaning up messes that they leave behind.

"Rewarding, educational, and very challenging."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Monitor Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* We're known for having a positive culture and good people by comparison to other management consulting firms.
    * We don't typically staff cases at the client site all week long.
    * We focus on strategy, and do comparatively little transactional, outsourced analysis

Cons

* We don't have a very well-known brand, even though we're in roughly the top five globally.
    * We're not as large as some of our competitors.

5. "Fun and intellectually challenging place to work but the leadership is challenged."

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Brilliant, quirky people. Opportunities to work across many sectors and strategic issue areas.

Cons

Long hours, weak bonuses, and challenged leadership.

6. "Great colleagues, some interesting projects, company as a whole a little aimless"

Former Employee - Senior Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Case Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Terrific, smart, and interesting colleagues. Collegial and friendly work environment. Great subunits in innovation, scenario planning, government, and nonprofit work. Terrific feedback systems and very supportive professional development environment. A great place to learn and develop valuable skills. I would recommend it highly as a good place for early career (pre- and 5 yrs post MBA/MA) growth.

Cons

The company as a whole doesn't really seem to know who or what it wants to be. There's so much talent, so many good ideas, but no clear purpose or direction. Hopefully, that will change in time.

"Great company, but facing management challenges"

Current Employee - Case Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Case Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good people. Influence over the projects you work on. You are not at the client full time.

Cons

Management can be opaque. Less range of projects from a functional perspective.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about firm strategy, and be more aggressive about cutting groups that are not profitable.

"Working meritocracy for the nerdy business type"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's cliched, but the people are great -- smart, entrepreneurial, and overall just very friendly and open to sharing experiences and knowledge. And definitely a bit on the nerdy side. With no "up or out" policy, people are not competitive and there is more freedom around customizing a career path that works for individuals. The company is also very meritocratic. If you are smart and demonstrate leadership capabilities, they will give you as much as you want to take on... and reward you with appropriate bonus.

Cons

The downsides of a meritocracy is that if you are a strong performer and they feel like you can take on more, you are pushed to take on more leadership roles and more management roles... so you're often never "comfortable" and not coasting in a role. You can often feel like you're constantly on a learning curve with the attending low level stress of mastering new skills.

Advice to Management

Compensation is behind other similar employers. The people at Monitor are what make the place. Compensate and match benefits appropriately to other similar employers.