Monotype Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Monotype President and CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-Life balance, Friendly and Learning environment, The culture of office is great (in 4 reviews)

• The company is going through an exciting period of growth and transition (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Compensation can be better (in 2 reviews)

• Everyone else has to step in line (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has made some exciting acquisitions in the past few years and is currently tying it all together. The sales team has been reorganized and set up to aggressively hunt for new business. There are a lot of new faces on the sales team (including myself), along with some very tenured people who are always willing to help when you have questions. It's not uncommon to see senior management walking through the office and conversing with any employee, regardless of role. They're very approachable and care deeply about the organization. There's a ton of opportunity to come in here, be creative, and grow professionally.

Cons

None.

The organization is going through a transition, like almost every other technology company out there. In order to stay relevant, companies need to be flexible which means employees need to be flexible. An "adapt and overcome" mindset is a must at any organization.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue to communicate. Continue to train on products and leadership skills.

2. "Exciting times for a 125-year old company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through an exciting period of growth and transition. Management has expressed a clear growth strategy and appears to be taking action against it. It’s hard to go through change, but the company’s future opportunity is compelling and I’m happy to be a part of its exciting journey! The benefits are great and even as the company has grown, the benefits have stayed the same with a few more perks added each year. We recently got AnyPerks, which offers a bunch of discounts and promotions on everything from movies to gym memberships and wellness programs – it’s been an awesome new benefit. I have been able to take classes at university with the tuition reimbursement too. My salary seems on-par with other job opportunities I get contacted about in my market. Overall, I’ve had a great experience here at Monotype.

Cons

With transition comes change – which is exciting to me – but is not always well received by certain folks. There are a lot of new people joining as the company is growing quite fast. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all of the new names! The good news is, the company is growing which means lots of opportunity for me to move up and grow.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the ongoing sales training and professional development. It’s helping me be a better leader! Please keep it up!

"A company going a lot of changes in this few years"

Current Employee - Type in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Type in Boston, MA

Pros

If you have any interest in type, it's probably the largest and a legendary company to work at. The company is going through many changes in these few years, I feel like half of the employees left and the new ones came in. (including acquisition)

Cons

Communication between regions and sections is extremely poor. You feel like you are part of the company, but you feel less that it has to be you. Stock price is getting lower and lower.

Advice to Management

Attention to improve communication obstacles and awkwardness among regions and sections.

"Exceeded my expectations"

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here for more than a year. Has truly exceeded my expectations. Company is going through a change ... change is hard and takes time, effort and commitment. Many of the newer people are excited, but takes time to turn the old guard around.

Cons

Many people have been at Monotype for a long time. They don't understand that the old revenue streams will go away and the company has to re-invent itself. Many are having a hard time making the change that is needed.

Advice to Management

Change is hard, but its needed. Figure out the folks that are willing to go along and have them help the rest of the troops

"Make Our Company Great Again!"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

Really good, dedicated people on the creative side of the font business.
    Good 401K match and benefits
    Forward-thinking with acquisitions to diversify the business

Cons

Sales management that has done nothing to endear themselves to the troops.
    Not motivating as leaders.
    Management rolled out new, ill-conceived organizational plan when it was anything but ready.
    Management doesn't seem interested in hearing feedback from team about how to better the structure.
    New sellers bait and switched about what they will be selling and unhappy about it.
    New sales structure forced on the team and clients is not working for the best interests of clients.
    Increasing the sales force by 10 fold with unachievable quotas setting up lots of people for failure.

Advice to Management

Slow your roll. Be smart about the changes you put forward by getting all stakeholders on board. Good change is great. Flawed change is bad for business, employee morale and employee retention. HR talks constantly about being the employer of choice, yet the actions of sales management sends a different message: accept their way or get out. Make our company great again!

"50% Old-World Artisan, 50% Software Startup, 50% Lost Confused Child"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

Diverse, eclectic workforce -- hipster code-slingers, multidisciplinary artists/designers, blue-blooded sales reps and financiers. Relaxed office environment. Frequent banquets, corporate outings, ice cream socials. Not uncommon for employees to "settle in" during the good old days, forge friendships, and stick around for 15, 20, 25 years. Plentiful opportunities for travel, given office presence spanning 11+ countries.

Cons

Dangerous levels of constantly-changing brand strategy, disorganization, and interdepartmental confusion. Near complete lack of accountability. Slowly-shrinking legacy revenue base (printers, fonts) shifting into questionable new investments (rent-a-font websites, ad-banner imagery, emojis). Careers tend to stall and calcify at Monotype, due to limited industry exposure and (lack of) growth paths. Some hints of faltering investor confidence, layoffs, offshoring to cheaper venues.

Advice to Management

Seems like this grow-an-experimental-new-software-shop-out-of-legacy-printer-money tack isn't working out. Too many random toss-a-dart-at-the-wall acquisitions. Senior leadership is mired in cliquish turf wars, and ill-suited for this sort of transformation. Strongly consider "getting back to basics," casting off extraneous business units, and carefully re-evaluating your next step(s).

7. "Employee"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the work environment. It's a great company to work with. Good salary and awesome benefits.

Cons

So far nothing bad to say.

"Working at Monotype"

I have been working at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many Monotype employees have had a long tenure at the company, which alone says a lot about the company. With that being the case, any way you turn, there is someone there to answer any questions you may have being a new employee. The transition into the company is made a whole lot smoother as a result of this.

Cons

None that I can speak of yet, the atmosphere is so friendly and laid back. There is a great balance of work and friendly dialogue.

Advice to Management

The training process is still a work in progress, but the company has put the right people in place to make this process the best that it can be.

"Great company"

Pros

Stable, profitable, clear direction, great benefits, flexible work-life balance

Cons

Uninteresting location in an office park

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Lack of culture"

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salaries, nice people, newish office space

Cons

Corporate culture is lacking. The exec team 'thinks' the company has a good culture, but there is nothing modern or forward looking about the culture. For a Tech company based in the Boston area, it's pretty disappointing.

Advice to Management

Get serious about building Monotype as a fun and engaging place to work, hire executives who have personality and are personable to employees.