Monotype Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Monotype President and CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Stable, profitable, clear direction, great benefits, flexible work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Pay and benefits were great and the work environment is flexible and easy going (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Compensation can be better (in 2 reviews)

• New sales structure forced on the team and clients is not working for the best interests of clients (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has made some exciting acquisitions in the past few years and is currently tying it all together. The sales team has been reorganized and set up to aggressively hunt for new business. There are a lot of new faces on the sales team (including myself), along with some very tenured people who are always willing to help when you have questions. It's not uncommon to see senior management walking through the office and conversing with any employee, regardless of role. They're very approachable and care deeply about the organization. There's a ton of opportunity to come in here, be creative, and grow professionally.

Cons

None.

The organization is going through a transition, like almost every other technology company out there. In order to stay relevant, companies need to be flexible which means employees need to be flexible. An "adapt and overcome" mindset is a must at any organization.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue to communicate. Continue to train on products and leadership skills.

2. "Nice company to work with; gr8 opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Noida (India)

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

> Latest technology stack
    > Good HR team and management
    > Flexible timing, food and games facilities
    > Agile/Scrum followed seriously

Cons

Not a good place to join if you are too stuck with one language/technology

"Lack of business ethics, poor business model, strange acquisition strategy = bad news for investors and employees"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Woburn office is pretty nice!

Cons

I worked here for a short time and I found it to be, honestly, quite terrible. Without going into absurd detail, their business model is essentially to hunt down big businesses looking for tiny samples of Monotype font violations (the fonts are downloadable for free) then corner their prospects from a legal standpoint, ostensibly for 'infringement violations'. They essentially play a card that says "Look, we want to make sure you're compliant...we're just looking out for you..." while the threat of legal action quietly looms in the background. The truth is (in my opinion) the LAST thing Monotype actually wants is to have to go the legal route - it's as expensive and time consuming for Monotype as it is for the suckers they're chasing. What (I believe) they prefer to do is to coerce businesses into giving them large sums of money without actually having to threaten them with legal action. I do believe that if companies/prospects decided to push back or ignore Monotype, Monotype would have no choice than to drop their prices significantly in order to avoid getting nothing or getting mired down in legal action.

In any case, I found the NYC office to be pretty brutal (my advice: if you're over 40, don't even think about working in the NYC office - you'd be better off at corporate headquarters). For anyone a bit older, inquire with HR about the NYC office demographics before accepting any offers.

So clearly - I advise anyone and everyone to steer clear of this place. Hope this helps someone avoid making a mistake (like I did).

Advice to Management

Think about the potential problems you could have there - there's lots of dysfunction. I

4. "Good salary"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Noida (India)

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management cares about the employees .
    Also the salary structure is great. Good work if you are passionate. Great talent.

Cons

Company is changing and change can be threatening to some employees.

5. "Gem of a Company (Hidden gem)"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Noida (India)

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Convenient location in noida. this company has very nice working environment, and supportive colleagues who are always eager to help. working on latest technology environment with plenty of opportunities to grow. there is a music room, gaming zone, tt, gym, and fun activities, family event. everyone sits in the cubicle even the managers. there is open and free flow of communication.

Cons

there are changes ( like in every company) and it can be communicated better.
    infrastructure can be improved though they had plans to redesign the office. food quality can be improved

Advice to Management

involve people more

"Good to start career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

I have been working at Monotype (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning opportunity for freshers.

Cons

bad management and execution.No retention

"Culture of the Company has changed for bad. On the name of changing product strategy it is ruining culture."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Noida (India)

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Energetic and passionate teams and opportunities to work in multiple projects across the board. Allowed to play TT and playstation in office which reflects friendly environment

Cons

Micro management and people specific process are pain. Lot of office politics where people are working to save their back instead of constructive work. Core working hours are to be adhered where coming time is stringent at 10 am but no heed is paid to leaving time (4 pm).

Advice to Management

Change the work strategy and technology. But don't let the culture of place get ruined as this is drain of time and energy of energetic and passionate group of people.

Stop blindly trusting few people in higher management who are ruining the life of people who actually are assets to company

Don't only hear the feedbacks , listen to them. People are losing trust on management and prefer to change their directon

"Bad execution and vision"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

Good to start your career

Cons

Unclear , lagging vision. Bad execution

9. "Great first job out of college!"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

If you want to sell type and font this is the place to be. You can get lots of experience and learn about fonts. You can also get a good salary and matching 401k. Great job if you are recently out of college.

Cons

Very transactional low level job. Reminds me of ADP and Pitney Bows. Also Fonts are not interesting and not a lead into marketing technology. This is important to note because this firm will tell you they are in the marketing space - but they sell fonts. Also depending on the manager you get - well the experience is very different. Mine was all about being mr cool and using his expense account.

Advice to Management

Not much good luck selling fonts. Its boring as can be. But being a boring business can be very profitable.

10. "Exciting times for a 125-year old company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through an exciting period of growth and transition. Management has expressed a clear growth strategy and appears to be taking action against it. It’s hard to go through change, but the company’s future opportunity is compelling and I’m happy to be a part of its exciting journey! The benefits are great and even as the company has grown, the benefits have stayed the same with a few more perks added each year. We recently got AnyPerks, which offers a bunch of discounts and promotions on everything from movies to gym memberships and wellness programs – it’s been an awesome new benefit. I have been able to take classes at university with the tuition reimbursement too. My salary seems on-par with other job opportunities I get contacted about in my market. Overall, I’ve had a great experience here at Monotype.

Cons

With transition comes change – which is exciting to me – but is not always well received by certain folks. There are a lot of new people joining as the company is growing quite fast. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all of the new names! The good news is, the company is growing which means lots of opportunity for me to move up and grow.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the ongoing sales training and professional development. It’s helping me be a better leader! Please keep it up!