Monotype "fonts" Reviews | Glassdoor

Monotype Employee Reviews about "fonts"

Updated Sep 6, 2019

3.6
Monotype President and CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is a real thing here(in 14 reviews)

• "Fonts are critical to brands worldwide(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Slowly-shrinking legacy revenue base (printers, fonts) shifting into questionable new investments (rent-a-font websites, ad-banner imagery, emojis)(in 6 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "fonts"

Return to all Reviews

"Growth Driven & Friendly Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked here for 6 years now, which is a short time compared to some of the veterans. The culture here is very friendly, the Team is important, and the company retains its small feel despite more than doubling its size in the past handful of years. Monotype has done a good job making sure that the people it employs are smart, genuine, hard-working and friendly. As a salesperson, Monotype is especially great... because there has been a continued opportunity throughout my time here to make well over my planned commission. This is mostly due to two factors: one, fonts are not a "nice to have", Brands absolutely need them to do their business. And secondly, because our go-to-market strategy has been structured in a way that allows us to meet and surpass our goals. Last but not least, from a professional and personal standpoint, there is room for growth here no matter what your goals are.

Cons

All companies can come with their own set of challenges, but there is nothing specific to list here.

Monotype2017-12-19

"Not that "Type" of company anymore"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

Great People, Good HR group, perks are decent and locations for relocation are in hot spots

Cons

Was at Monotype for 10+ years in finance, operations and engineering. Seeing it evolve from a friendly, low turnover, high margin company to a HIGH turnover, thin margin and inexperienced team makes me sad. The past 2.5 years is not a refreshing wind-up period; it’s the New Monotype. When the stock drops 30%, when the board is looking to sell the company but keeps it a secret while saying "we're doing just fine... from the investments we made" only the $ is from slapping everyone on the wrists for using fonts without a license implying a legal suit behind it if they don't pay-up, when the majority of growth is coming from already closed deals but asking them to pay up 3/5 years ahead for a slight discount, when your largest investor pulls close to $10M out of your business saying the CEO is incompetent, when new management needs to be trained by current low level employees and the veterans of this company are jumping ship...trouble is a brewing. [This is all public information]

Advice to Management

Not promoting from within makes everyone start over. Your veteran employees are the Type experts in the industry; after all, the revenue pre/during/post acquisitions have been from the core anyway. Their experience, knowledge and account relationships came from being on the frontline with the very companies who use Monotype products. These are now the very companies who are eating your lunch and scooping up your... former employees spreading the warning of using Monotype IP. Advice: STOP putting new hires in managerial positions; hired by people who are also new employees themselves that are still learning from the people jumping ship. ***As noted in multiple other reviews. Monotype sales managers should really stop telling employees to write fake good reviews here to lure job seekers into a high churn high pressure sales jobs***

Monotype2018-05-16

"Mid-life crisis"

I worked at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

They seem to be fine for a company that operates in Woburn, Massachusetts. However, when the CEO had a mid-life crisis and tried to move into the NYC tech industry, it became a huge strain on Monotype, Olapic and Swyft.

Cons

A year and a half post-acquisition, they still have no idea how a saas company works. Nor what the market value or cost of living in New York is. If you want to sell fonts in MA, by all means, it’ll probably be fine. But if you’re attempting to work at any of the dismantled NYC branches, save yourself the grief. They also have the most horrific HR department I’ve ever encountered. Complaints about senior management... swept under the rug, incorrect information regarding benefits and comp given regularly, payroll mishaps where they mess up the benefits or deductions and then try to get the employee to pay for it after the fact, and giving wrong answers to sensitive questions asked by the 104 employees they just laid off.

Advice to Management

Stick to what you know. There is nothing groundbreaking about your vision, it doesn’t even make sense. And stop asking sales employees to write positive reviews for you. It skews the truth.

Monotype2017-12-22

"Needs better vision"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

There are so many good people working at the company.

Cons

The vision is lost. They don't have their new vision in mind and as a result, had to make many cuts this December. I was there for almost 3 years and the transformation I saw was just utterly confusing. I think the idea to evolve and not rely on fonts forever is a good one, but I think that the process of acquiring and then trying to nurture two subsidies was poorly executed.

Advice to Management

Not much, its a really tough working environment now, fueled by fear and negativity. I think its really unfortunate what happened to the company in the span of 3 years. Work out the plan better and really stick to it.

Monotype2017-11-21

"Lack of business ethics, poor business model, strange acquisition strategy = bad news for investors and employees"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Monotype full-time for less than a year

Pros

Woburn office is pretty nice!

Cons

I worked here for a short time and I found it to be, honestly, quite terrible. Without going into absurd detail, their business model is essentially to hunt down big businesses looking for tiny samples of Monotype font violations (the fonts are downloadable for free) then corner their prospects from a legal standpoint, ostensibly for 'infringement violations'. They essentially play a card that says "Look, we want... to make sure you're compliant...we're just looking out for you..." while the threat of legal action quietly looms in the background. The truth is (in my opinion) the LAST thing Monotype actually wants is to have to go the legal route - it's as expensive and time consuming for Monotype as it is for the suckers they're chasing. What (I believe) they prefer to do is to coerce businesses into giving them large sums of money without actually having to threaten them with legal action. I do believe that if companies/prospects decided to push back or ignore Monotype, Monotype would have no choice than to drop their prices significantly in order to avoid getting nothing or getting mired down in legal action. In any case, I found the NYC office to be pretty brutal (my advice: if you're over 40, don't even think about working in the NYC office - you'd be better off at corporate headquarters). For anyone a bit older, inquire with HR about the NYC office demographics before accepting any offers. So clearly - I advise anyone and everyone to steer clear of this place. Hope this helps someone avoid making a mistake (like I did).

Advice to Management

Think about the potential problems you could have there - there's lots of dysfunction. I

Monotype2017-10-09

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are great to work with, laid back office environment / casual dress, the font industry itself is genuinely interesting.

Cons

The company uses stock and benefits as an excuse to pay employees mediocre salaries which is no longer an effective tactic as the stock price has been cut in half in the last 2 years. The HR department is beyond incompetent and painful to work with. Company perks (holiday party) are slowly disappearing. Jobs are being outsourced to India and work quality is suffering as a result.

Advice to Management

Your vision is worthless if you lack the ability to execute upon it. Focus on maintaining the core business before wasting money on questionable tech startups. Pay top performers well or risk losing them.

Monotype2017-04-09

"Make Our Company Great Again!"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

Really good, dedicated people on the creative side of the font business. Good 401K match and benefits Forward-thinking with acquisitions to diversify the business

Cons

Sales management that has done nothing to endear themselves to the troops. Not motivating as leaders. Management rolled out new, ill-conceived organizational plan when it was anything but ready. Management doesn't seem interested in hearing feedback from team about how to better the structure. New sellers bait and switched about what they will be selling and unhappy about it. New sales structure forced on... the team and clients is not working for the best interests of clients. Increasing the sales force by 10 fold with unachievable quotas setting up lots of people for failure.

Advice to Management

Slow your roll. Be smart about the changes you put forward by getting all stakeholders on board. Good change is great. Flawed change is bad for business, employee morale and employee retention. HR talks constantly about being the employer of choice, yet the actions of sales management sends a different message: accept their way or get out. Make our company great again!

Monotype2017-03-23

"50% Old-World Artisan, 50% Software Startup, 50% Lost Confused Child"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

Diverse, eclectic workforce -- hipster code-slingers, multidisciplinary artists/designers, blue-blooded sales reps and financiers. Relaxed office environment. Frequent banquets, corporate outings, ice cream socials. Not uncommon for employees to "settle in" during the good old days, forge friendships, and stick around for 15, 20, 25 years. Plentiful opportunities for travel, given office presence spanning 11+... countries.

Cons

Dangerous levels of constantly-changing brand strategy, disorganization, and interdepartmental confusion. Near complete lack of accountability. Slowly-shrinking legacy revenue base (printers, fonts) shifting into questionable new investments (rent-a-font websites, ad-banner imagery, emojis). Careers tend to stall and calcify at Monotype, due to limited industry exposure and (lack of) growth paths. Some hints of... faltering investor confidence, layoffs, offshoring to cheaper venues.

Advice to Management

Seems like this grow-an-experimental-new-software-shop-out-of-legacy-printer-money tack isn't working out. Too many random toss-a-dart-at-the-wall acquisitions. Senior leadership is mired in cliquish turf wars, and ill-suited for this sort of transformation. Strongly consider "getting back to basics," casting off extraneous business units, and carefully re-evaluating your next step(s).

Monotype2017-01-13

"Great, stable company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, strong management that cares, and fonts are fun! Pay and benefits were great and the work environment is flexible and easy going.

Cons

For a smaller company, spread all over the globe and they haven't adequately invested in the right technologies to ensure the right connectors for global teams.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workforce and take the time to hear their thoughts and ideas.

Monotype2014-05-02

"Monotype is a well run company with good opportunities for making a real contribution."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

Management is fair and ethical. Products (fonts and software) are developed in several US offices as well as UK, Germany, India, and China so you may find that there is an office near you. Good engineering and quality practices. Reasonable flexibility regarding work hours and where you work.

Cons

The culture is good but could be better. There isn't much outside interaction with colleagues.

Monotype2013-08-30