Monroe College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Monroe College President Stephen Jerome
Stephen Jerome

Pros
  • Monroe has a very student and professor focus which creates a culture of community learning amongst students, staff and faculty (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work especially if you are looking somewhere to start out with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance sucks and they could careless (in 6 reviews)

• Very long hours and extended days (in 5 reviews)

1. "Monroe College"

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Monroe College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Oriented and always flexible

Cons

None None None None None

"Faculty"

Current Employee - Professor in New Rochelle, NY
    Current Employee - Professor in New Rochelle, NY

I have been working at Monroe College full-time

Pros

Colleagues who work hard in spite of conditions

Cons

Full time professors work 6 exhausting classes fall and spring with approximately 30 students per class
    Forced to work summer semester - 6 classes as well - three semesters! (trimesters)
    No salary increase, no appreciation, poor medical plan
    Management expects us to plan emergencies, illness, weddings, bereavements and graduations during break
    Supervisors resent when faculty takes a day off - we are intimidated to not use entitled days off

Advice to Management

Start treating faculty with the respect they deserve and support their efforts in the face of a student body that is not prepared for college
    Remember it is supposed to be an academic institution

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Front Desk in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Monroe College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allow for you to grow
    Employees are quite friendly and easy to work with
    A lot of events to attend
    They do beyond for the students

Cons

Can be excessive competition to impress managers

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue showing appreciation for employees

"Admissions"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Counselor in Bronx, NY

I worked at Monroe College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1/2 day on Friday and Saturday. Former head of the college was great to staff and actually was compassionate. He will be missed by many long term employees still there.

Cons

Management Is absolutely horrific! Minorities are hired to work like slaves. Department is so understaffed with quality individuals that people end up doing multiple jobs, working long hours and at times getting burnt out. They give no significant raises that actually incentivize people to want to stay here and work hard. The turn over rate is insane. People last two to five years, possibly less for the ones who wise up quickly, and then they are gone. They continue to hire young people fresh out of college who cannot do the job but they can get away with paying peanuts.

They provide zero quality training. In their eyes these annual meetings they have where higher ups come to basically speak to staff and tell them what needs to be promoted, is their idea of "training". You either learn the admissions counselor role on your own as you go, or from experienced staff, or you don't point blank.

They make you work a late night and alternate Saturdays which they NEVER tell you about when you interview with them.

Several times management, including higher ups, have said several inappropriate and racist comments towards minority staff and basically brushed it off as no big deal since in their eyes you are beneath them and they are doing you a favor by employing you so either stay shut or leave. Which sadly many people who are left working there have either been there for over 10-20yrs and are stuck or they have a family and they can't afford to not be working. Sad but true.

Work life balance sucks and they could careless. As long as you slave for them they are ok. Management actually calls people who take a sick day and badgers them asking why they are not at work even though they are entitled to five sick days and are not required to supply a doctors note if they are sick...ILLEGAL!!

They love to rub in your face how "Everyone likes to get paid so we need to enroll more students". If that doesn't make you feel pressure or like your job is on the line I don't know what does.

Staff is iffy. Some work very hard and some do bare minimum while others are just purely lazy and seem to get away with it, even promoted which is a joke. Depending on who you mix well with you will either be ok or you will have it rough. Meaning people who work here are very sneaky and can't be trusted. They smile in your face but talk about you behind your back or even worse go to management and create lies which then jeopardizes your job. Lots of favoritism here, so much it's sickening.

Advice to Management

Listen to the few good hard working people you have left at this place. If you want change those are the people who can help you change. Stop listening to "new" or lazy people who have no idea what they are doing. Good people are over looked because higher management in admissions won't listen to those who actually want to help the college progress. Get rid of lazy people who don't want to be there or people doing just enough to get by without being noticed. You want to grow your numbers and improve the college ask people who they think should stay and who should go and you will be surprised. Now that's IF all those kiss ups actually have the guts to tell you the truth. My money is they won't and you will be fed exactly what you want to hear to make it seem as if everything is ok, but people will continue to complain when they are not in your presence and go on about their days. WAKE UP! Put the egos aside and make some real changes in that department because it was crumbling when I was there and I'm sure it is still crumbling now since I have gone.

P.S I wasn't an angry employee when I left, and I actually left very professionally and on good terms so this post was not written maliciously. I'm sure my honesty will anger you but since I'm almost positive no one in that department will actually stand up and voice all these concerns, at least I can and possibly help a few people left that I know there. I hope that you (whomever from the college may be reading this) actually take into some consideration to the things mentioned above.

6. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Counselor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Monroe College (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Too much favortism by the higher level managers. Employees weren't always treated fairly.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge and appreciate all contributions from all of your employess.

7. "Good working environment for international students"

Former Employee - Academic Tutor in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in New Rochelle, NY

Pros

Professional experience. Nice salary.
    Flexible shift depends on your class and other schedules.
    International students can work up to 20.
    Faculty members are super nice.

Cons

International students can work only up to 20 hours per week. Fridays and Saturdays are very quiet. Overall it is a great place to work.

8. "FANTASTIC"

Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Monroe College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary, nice environment, dedicated team of people. Short Fridays all year long.

Cons

Long work week; one day per week it is mandatory to work 10.5 hours.

Advice to Management

It would be better to work a full Friday and adjust to a later start time on days we are currently required to work 10.5 hours. It's exhausting...

9. "Working at Monroe"

Current Employee - Professor in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Professor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Monroe College full-time

Pros

It is satisfying that I get to teach the subject I love which is literature !

Cons

This is a for profit college so everything is driven by the numbers including academic integrity !

Advice to Management

Treat Professors with greater respect !

10. "Adjunct to Full-time"

Current Employee - Social Sciences Professor in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Social Sciences Professor in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Monroe College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Monroe has a very student and professor focus which creates a culture of community learning amongst students, staff and faculty.

Each classroom has large televisions that are connected to the computers, which allows for easy access to showing videos, presentations, and other forms of digital tools.

Professors are offered a good deal of autonomy and are supported by the administration with formal trainings, informal conversations, and a friendly atmosphere.

Cons

There is little to complain about Monroe College. However, if we could make things better, we could offer better wifi, a public café/bookstore for the community, a recreation room and a gym for students. Again, not a complaint, just things that could enhance the college.

Advice to Management

The open of semester meetings could offer professors a chance to share (in small groups) tips on how they use classroom time, the television in the classroom, smarthinking, turnitin, blackboard, and other tools. This would generate some great discussions and turn what might be an informal dialogue into a formal list of best practices.

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Monroe College (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have that old country school charm with employees that's been there all their adult life.

Cons

Low wages for some and some being paid more than they are worth.