Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 14, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Refused to give me a position full time with benefits at the St (in 34 reviews)

"Infighting"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The products and engineering side of the IT house is full of very smart and easy to work with people.

Cons

Most of the technical platforms group are idiots and actively obstruct people trying to do their jobs.

Advice to Management

Fold the engineers from tech platforms into engineering and fire the ones that cannot keep pace.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get to use cutting edge tech

Cons

Pay is good based on a 40 hour week, but that never happens. With no overtime the pay isn't great.

Advice to Management

Salaries should be higher

"Weak Leadership"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Very generous benefits package (salary, incentives, 401k match, holidays and paid time off).

Cons

Current leadership team is extremely short sighted, indecisive, and not aligned. As a result moral is low and trust is disappearing. Excessive amount of time and money allocated to safety training.

"Windows 7 Migration Deployment Leas"

Former Employee - Windows 7 Migration Deployment Lead in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Windows 7 Migration Deployment Lead in Creve Coeur, MO

Pros

The benefits are good and they are headquartered in the US for now.

Cons

The equal opportunity for people of color is non existent in comparison to other non color races.

Advice to Management

Change your mindset. Identify & remove the good 'ole boy club.

"Not for everyone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO

Pros

In this metro area, for the time being at least, this is the "gold standard" employer as far as pay and benefits. If you work well in a "matrix" organization and have a great deal of education you would be hard pressed to do better.

Cons

All rewards are basically based on how much secondary education you have and how many times you change roles. This leaves employees who prefer to be "pros in position" and "subject matter experts" not only not being rewarded for their contributions in overall compensation but cleaning up after the people who come into a role and leave. Additionally, numerous people end us ananagers with no business whatsoever in thise positions. Case in point, new manager in my department has had over 90% turnover in 18 months, me included.

Advice to Management

Stop using matrix reporting structure. It is not now, nor has it ever been, effective. Reward people for the jobs they do, not how many different things they can get their fingers into.

"Great people, dysfunctional enviroment"

Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Contractor - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Despite the anti-GMO hype, this company really is helping to feed the world. Lots of great science, great talent, generally upbeat people.

Cons

Dangerously naive about how to get project work done. Way too many people in the mix to get traction on the projects I've seen. Lots of hype based on the latest buzz word trends, but little substance. Extremely political. Lots of people get fired.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk according to the top values you say you want. Don't just draw lines on the map top-down. Have strong managers at the lower levels who really steer things. Reward good solid, yet imperfect work, that moves the ball forward. Be aware that all the cheerleading without substance ain't helping. Having 20 people to screw a light bulb ain't helping.

"Senior Chemist"

Former Contractor - Senior CHEMIST in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Contractor - Senior CHEMIST in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Interesting technology. Flexible hours and scheduling.

Cons

Company in decline. Management lacks expertise in their core businesses. Opportunity very limited. Inbred culture. Planning, foresight, organization, and discipline poor. Reactive. Key businesses at risk.

Advice to Management

Determine what your key businesses are and commit to them, including the resources and hard work necessary to succeed. Quit trying to find the easy way out.

"It used to be a good place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers good benefits, competitive salary and challenging work. That's about all there is to say about it that's good. There used to be more good things to say, but Monsanto's gotten progressively worse over the past five years.

Cons

Lack of transparency--from managers, leadership and HR--about career opportunities, no career mentoring unless you're in "the club", territorialism, backstabbing. People managers who don't care about their employees and only act as yes-men/women.

Advice to Management

Get out of the quarter-to-quarter mindset. Stop promoting only yes-men. Actually listen to your employees who provide alternative suggestions--instead of only paying lip service to diversity of thought.

"Don't Expect to Get Hired if Brought in as a Contractor"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Location- Centralized and easy to access 40-64. Great people (if you can find some without the negative attitude that seems to permeate certain departments.)

Cons

I was contacted by and brought in through the main (and I think only) recruiting agency Monsanto uses with the statement (verbal- I must emphasize) that 'after 90 days Monsanto will roll you over to a permanent hire. 90 days came and went with absolutely NO communication re the hiring phase. I asked my supervisor during the initial interview and was told the same- "once you hit 90 days, then you get hired." I inquired about the rollover process as the 90 window approached and was then told by my spvsr: "I'm not sure how that (hiring process) works, I think HR might know." Two days prior to my 90 day mark, I was contacted by the agency (kind of rhymes with "Blondespot") and told "Don't ask anyone about the hiring process, just keep doing what you're doing, work hard, and in 6 months ask for your contract to be 'extended.' In other words, it was very apparent, they had no intention to hire from day one.

There were other contractors who had been there for YEARS, still hoping to get hired on, with no commitment in sight.

Some, more than not, full-time employees treat contractors very poorly with little respect.

Environment is extremely sterile and rigid.

Absolutely NO benefits for contract employees, who are doing the same work, same hours, same expectations, for a fraction of the pay, while Monsanto reaps the benefits of additional pocket padding by going this route.

Full time employees are reluctant to share information and or develop positive colleague relationships due to the presumption of "this person won't be here long, so why bother" and resulting attitude.

No smoking on the entire CAMPUS. Really? So it makes more sense that an employee must get into their vehicle and drive off campus?

Advice to Management

While I would love to provide 'Advice to Management", I highly doubt it would reach the intended party to be read. However, here's my 2 cents worth:

Work closer with your 'talent specialists' to provide clear outlines to contract employees. Hire contractors within a reasonable time frame 60 - 90 days. Having to train and re train due to high turnover is not fair to the full-time employees or the management therein, not to mention, the contractor who's working twice as hard to prove themselves.

"Things are chaning"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Monsanto Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great! If you are able to find the right team and manger, your commitment to family first is supported.

Cons

No real sincerity or care for the employees professional development and growth. Times are changing. It is not what it used to be.

Advice to Management

Take into account just how reorgs and layoffs affect people. Reward employees and give them opportunities for growth and advancement. It makes no sense to keep people at the same level for years and make up excuses as to why you aren't able to help them find promotional opportunities.

Showing 88 of 1,147 reviews