Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated July 25, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Refused to give me a position full time with benefits at the St (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Continuous Learning, Development, & Process Improvement"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, amazing vision to feed the world, cutting edge technology and innovation, dedication to conservation and donating to charitable causes, career learning experiences, great people, travel, development opportunities, work/life balance (unless you're under-resourced), on-site daycare in St. Louis, diverse teams (unless you work in US Row Crops)

Cons

IT systems, political environment, matrixed hierarchy, workload fatigue, lack of communication between functions/teams/organizations, process improvement needed everywhere, only a select few are "the chosen ones" and it's usually because they're good at spending money with agencies/delegating/sucking up, hard/difficult work can be recognized more often

Advice to Management

Fix IT. Resource teams appropriately. Recognize over-achievers.

Jul 17, 2017

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on hiring the best and brightest to advance our innovative pursuits.
    Monsanto leverages both internal and external resources to continuously drive... More

2. "Product Manager IT"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, vacation days, flexible timing, work culture and Care for employees.

Cons

Limited career opportunity, Growth if with in the management network, Do more than your position.

3. "Good summer job"

Former Employee - Seed Laborer in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Seed Laborer in Rockford, IL

I worked at Monsanto Company part-time

Pros

The pay is decent. During field/travel season you get lots of overtime pay. You are not closely supervised most of the time. They trust their employees to get work done. Regular schedule.

Cons

Some sexism was experienced at my location. There are days when there is basically nothing to do and it's hard to stay and find random, small tasks to complete to attempt 8 hours a day

Advice to Management

There is sexism present in this company. If you're going to hire women for the same job as men, then you should assume they are capable of performing the same duties.

Jul 17, 2017

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you appreciate Monsanto's flexibility and competitive pay.
    We take these accusations seriously and will escalate your concerns to HR.

"IT falling into the toilet"

Former Contractor - Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, some smart people, good cafeteria, emphasis on safety and wellness, physical location(s), size of company means there are a lot of things going on.

Cons

I worked there for five years as a contractor (Application DBA). For the first four years, the work was enjoyable and my coworkers, for the most part, were competent and pleasurable to work with. I do have to say, though, that there is a culture of empire-building, where middle managers claw their way to the top by pushing the next shiny thing. This culture does not serve the company well.

In 2016, the outsourcing of IT to companies which are in the business of abusing the H1-B visa program began, with no warning to those of us in IT. We were training our replacements, many of whom could barely speak or write English and had little clue how to do our jobs.

Now, of course, the company is looking forward to being engulfed by another big fish. Good luck with that!

Advice to Management

My advice is for UPPER management:
    1. The next shiny thing is not always the best thing for the company.
    2. You can not replace an experienced worker with a new one just to save money and expect that it will be good for the company.

"Mostly good, but beware of HR"

Former Employee - Facilities in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Facilities in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and flexibility where needed. Decent pay with excellent benefits. I believe Monsanto's intention is to treat their employees overall in a positive manner. Safety is paramount, which is a good thing.

Cons

If you get passed over on promotions or other jobs, I discovered that HR downright lied to me and others and strings you along. It appears if you didn't pass the politically correct or minority flavor of the month club, litmus test, you got passed over again. Sacrifices and hard work I gave for the betterment of the company, to include extending global trips, middle of the night phone calls for international calls, saving millions for projects was not noticed or appreciated.

Advice to Management

If you do not appreciate the hard work and sacrifices made by your employees and opt not to promote an employee, do not add insult to injury with deceptive reasoning.

6. "Monsanto Evaluation"

Current Contractor - Laboratory Analyst in Ankeny, IA
    Current Contractor - Laboratory Analyst in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great stepping stone for new and upcoming graduates from college.

Cons

After a while, work becomes repetitive and your work is rarely rewarded.

Advice to Management

The quality of your product goes down when the employees/contractors feel inadequate and underappreciated. Show you appreciate what they are doing for the company.

7. "Decent job"

Current Employee - Seed Tech in Mason City, IL
    Current Employee - Seed Tech in Mason City, IL

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. Insurance is one of the best around that I have found. Co-workers are great to work with.

Cons

management is looking to advance adds could care less about the regular employees, just what they need to do to advance. Kids end up running the place due to rapid advancement and it shows!

Advice to Management

quit advancing managers so fast you have kids two years out of college running the place with little oversight from their superiors.

8. "warehouse operator"

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

Upper management is lousy

Advice to Management

Listen to your long-term employees. They know what they are talking about

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. When decisions
    are made at the top many factors come into play. We trust in our leadership teams and know they are making the best decisions... More

9. "Monsanto-Genetic Quality Assurance"

Current Contractor - Lab Technician in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Contractor - Lab Technician in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company as a contractor

Pros

flexible schedule, Able to cross train with other teams in the lab

Cons

hours were cut due to lack of samples coming in

10. "Agronomic Research Specialist"

Current Employee - Agronomic Research Specialist in Huxley, IA
    Current Employee - Agronomic Research Specialist in Huxley, IA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid benefits include 20 days vacation in second year, medical, dental, 401k, closed over holidays (1-2 weeks over Christmas alone), chance to do plenty of traveling and opportunity to move around in the company

Cons

Feels disorganized as of late, can be tricky to move up the ladder past research assistant/associate

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of your lower level employees and actually act on what you learn!

Showing 246 of 1,149 reviews