Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Refused to give me a position full time with benefits at the St (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Continuous Learning, Development, & Process Improvement"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, amazing vision to feed the world, cutting edge technology and innovation, dedication to conservation and donating to charitable causes, career learning experiences, great people, travel, development opportunities, work/life balance (unless you're under-resourced), on-site daycare in St. Louis, diverse teams (unless you work in US Row Crops)

Cons

IT systems, political environment, matrixed hierarchy, workload fatigue, lack of communication between functions/teams/organizations, process improvement needed everywhere, only a select few are "the chosen ones" and it's usually because they're good at spending money with agencies/delegating/sucking up, hard/difficult work can be recognized more often

Advice to Management

Fix IT. Resource teams appropriately. Recognize over-achievers.

Monsanto Company Response

Jul 17, 2017

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on hiring the best and brightest to advance our innovative pursuits.
    Monsanto leverages both internal and external resources to continuously drive... More

2. "Great company to work for but don't expect vertical advancement to come quickly."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Benefits are great! After your second year of service, there are 4 weeks of vacation, one personal day, and the week off between Christmas and New Years. Plus, there are some random days off that manangement likes to throw in every now and then. Medical coverage has declined due to heafty increases in deductables that have gone on in the past few years. Work out facility, clinic, and credit union on campus are also great perks.

Cons

Few people leave the company so there is very little vertical movement within Monsanto. However, there is a lot of horizontal movement which gives the illusion of movement.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve company image.

3. "Monsanto provides growth and learning opportunities."

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

people are great, opportunities are endless, management is supportive of ideas

Cons

a lot of work! a lot of hours!

Advice to Management

Understand how the company spends money.

4. "Best company to work for in St. Louis."

Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Monsanto is probably the best company in St. Louis to work for. It is truly apparent that a good work and home life balance is emphasized. Currently the organization is immune to the economic meltdown and salary, incentives, and raises are still being delivered to employees. I've worked for several large organizations and this organization has truly changed my perception of "big business". This is the first company I've worked for that company spirit is visible from the way employees carry themselves and speak of the company. Again, I would recommend Monsanto to anyone in the St. Louis area, the end!

Cons

Very few downsides other than the fact that if you are in a good paying salary position you will most likely be working an extreme amount. Does Monsanto make it worth your time . ....... yes, but just be aware. The upside to this is that the advancement up the corporate ladder is very quick, which is sometimes troublesome because regular contacts and networks are not in positions for extended periods of time. Overall I would say the downsides to Monsanto are the same as any large corporation although the benefits and work environment far out weight he downsides......the end!

Advice to Management

Continue with the plan that is laid out for the organization.

5. "Don't believe what you read on the internet about this company"

Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Employees are well compensated for the work that we do and the benefits package is one of the top 3 in St. Louis (with Boeing and AB). There are a lot of perks like stock sharing, stock grants and very generous bonuses. This year, the company's done so well we've gotten 2 extra vacation days!
    If that's not enough, nearly all managers I've worked with support a good work-life balance, are supportive of time off for family needs or personal time. We can work flexible hours and at home if necessary.

Cons

With all of those perks come some high expectations of employees, you are expected to give 200% all of the time. You have to be good at multi-tasking, it's the Monsanto way. Most everyone I know at the company is juggling several projects at the same time. You have to be willing to sometimes work long hours and work from home and sometimes change personal plans to accommodate a business need. But you will be well compensated with time off and bonuses for your hard work and dedication.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management is making huge strides in this area, but I don't think they really understand exactly how much work those of us at the bottom of the ladder are juggling on a daily basis.

6. "Monsanto is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Legal Systems Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Legal Systems Coordinator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

It is a great place to work because everyone is involved in what happens with the company. Our leadership team really cares about all employees and promotes from within most of the time. They support safety at work and at home and we have qualified for a VPP Star! Their incentive program and benefits are wonderful! All contributions to charities are matched by the Monsanto Fund, which helps communities around the world. Monsanto is trying to feed the world by providing the tools necessary for the farmers to produce more, conserve more and use less. I love it and would not want to work anywhere else!

Cons

Parking is not the greatest.

Advice to Management

They are doing a great job!

7. "Working for a worldwide biotechnology company."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Cutting edge biotechnology & a growing worldwide company.

Cons

The company frequently reorganizes to stay competitive. Working for this company makes it highly likely that your department, job duties and managers will change in 3 years or less.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on beating the competition. Take a very close look at internal processes with the goal of streamlining and simplifying while increasing efficiency.

"Great place for working moms!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrative Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Monsanto is very competitive in salaries. They are flexible with work/life balance, knowing you may need to take 2 hours off in the afternoon for a doctor's appointment, but that you will be more than willing to stay a little later if a project requires it. The communication between employee and people managers truly is driven for two-way conversations. It is nice to have your voice heard on a simple issue.

Cons

As an administrative assistant, there is only one incentive level ever available to achieve. Obviously, managers will be compensated more for their responsibilities, but it would be nice to at least have the opportunity to move to a higher incentive level.

Advice to Management

In the spirit of "tapping the breaks" on spending, let's examine all the promotional items that add costs when so many items are personalized and distributed but are unable to be used. This spending should be eliminated without question.

9. "By the way the CEO is Hugh Grant and not Terry Crews. Terry Crews is the CFO"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Manager
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Manager

Pros

Freedom to do what you do best
    Achievement and goal orientated
    Fun and flexible workplace although we do tend to work very hard and work life balance is tough to manage. Monsanto does all it can to help though... its just that we are all so motivated to go the extra mile that we cant help ourselves.

Cons

Not many that I can think of. Nothing is always perfect but at Monsanto it almost always is for most of the people most of the time.

Advice to Management

Great job, keep it up

10. "Monsanto is truly a "Great Place to Work"!!"

Current Employee - Procurement in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Procurement in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Monsanto is the great atmosphere that is provided - I definitely enjoy going to work a majority of the time. The benefits are better than any other company that I have considered.

Cons

The only downside is that although work/life balance is strongly encouraged and promoted, sometimes the workload just doesn't allow us to take advantage of that.

Advice to Management

Monsanto is continuing to be successful during difficult economic times, so keep it up!

Showing 688 of 1,160 reviews