Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Monsanto Company Reviews

Pros
  • Career Development & Work life balance (in 147 reviews)

• Great benefits, great networking opportunities (in 77 reviews)

Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 58 reviews)

• Going to shared services so having a position as a full time employee is not as as good as it appears (in 32 reviews)

1. "Average opportunities for growth after few years"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

leading company in the industry
    open and collaborative environment
    flexible work environment
    good business

Cons

lot of changes and cost cutting
    Inconsistent people development opportunities
    average middle management
    great end of year reviews dont mean much

Advice to Management

cut average middle management instead of average/good individual contributors
    provide consistent opportunities for growth in all functions

2. "Monsanto Seminis"

Former Employee - Analyst in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Oxnard, CA

Pros

Great benefits and really good good relocation package. Great office location, no traffic unless you live far. Plenty of parking space and a soccer field.

Cons

Business casual dress code, most of employees at Oxnard location have been asked to relocate to St. Louis.

Advice to Management

More path planning for employees, Monsanto has some of the best educational tools and support for people who want to increase their knowledge

3. "Wrong vision going forward"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefits
    Work life balance

Cons

Poor leadership
    Poor communication regarding strategies
    Poor decision making

Advice to Management

When there are fundamental problems with the company, lay offs heavily biased towards the lower pay scales probably won't fix the problem.

5. "Was a great place to work; hoping we'll get back to it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Very flexible in terms of schedules (for jobs like mine). High sense of ownership, working in ag gives great worldview to Midwesterners where HQ is based. Great people--smart, talented, hard-working, team players. Benefits packages are great. Daycare on site, fitness center.

Cons

Leadership is lacking clear sense of direction, or if they have it they haven't communicated it. Too many projects means ineffective end results. Leadership seems unwilling to address poor public image b/c changing it would mean radically changing the business model or reaching out to opponents. Agree with previous comments about open positions filled in secrecy.

Advice to Management

If you care about our public image, consider leadership responsible for communications.

"Used to Be Phenomenal: Boy How Things Have Changed!"

Former Employee - Global IT Infrastructure in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Global IT Infrastructure in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

A few years ago, this section would have been clogged with "Pro's", but there have been so many changes that have discarded most of these. I was there nearly 15 years and it created so many positives in my life that range from great career that allowed me to support a wife, two kids, wonderful home and 'downtime' for vacations etc. I was able to work my way up through hard work, dedication and creativity. Then dark clouds appeared on the horizon (and more to come), and changed everything for thousands of dedicated, hard working individuals in the form of cutbacks. Since the culture has changed so much, and is not showing any signs of improvement, I will list below, the pros as I see them 'today':

* Great benefits
    * Headquarters in located in a great area with so many good establishments.
    * Health and Wellness facility is free for employees and $15/mo for contractors
    * Very nice campus

Cons

* Employees positions are being eliminated at an alarming rate. In many cases, a contractor will come in right behind them, or worse: The employee will be told that a contractor is being brought in to help with your workload, and that you need to get them familiar with your routine. Once that is completed, the employee position gets eliminated. Nice, huh!
    * Talk to any one person there now, and there is an excellent chance that they will tell you that they are nervous for their future, and that nobody knows where they stand.
    * Cutbacks are occurring with practically no notice. You come in one day, your manager chases you down, and then tells you that your position has been eliminated.
    * There is a real lack of direction from management.
    * People are feeling like 'numbers' now instead of human beings
    * There is little to no appreciation for the hard work and dedication
    * Way to much dating in the workplace. There were so many people whom were either dating, and then getting married in area that it started to feel like an unfair advantage. Very uncomfortable.
    * We got to listen to our manager have a quarterly meeting, where that person was discussing 'money saved'. They would sit there and say (in a singing tone) 'this saved the company x amouuuunt of dollarrrrs!" I cant help but imagine that manager talking that way in leadership meetings about the employees that got let go.
    * Work life balance? Not really.
    * It appears that the company is headed for more cutbacks. Many more.

Advice to Management

It doesn't take much imagination to treat people with respect and dignity. Cutbacks happen; I get that, but there has got to be a better method than the ruthless one being used now. Good talent who have sacrificed so much of their time (and sometimes families) for Monsanto in order to make it a successful company have had their lives turned upside down. That has never been part of the Monsanto culture, and it should not be now. People who did not get 'packages' are leaving in droves voluntarily. That speaks for itself. People no longer feel safe here.

7. "Misled!"

Former Employee - Media Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Media Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Fair Pay
    Great Cafeterias
    Casual Dress
    Overall the employees are great people who care about doing a good job.

Cons

Middle Management is heavy.
    Right Hand doesn't know what Left Hand is doing. Lots of duplication in efforts.
    Employees are pretending to be happy for fear of losing jobs.
    Encourage creativity, but not open to new ideas - conundrum!
    Green responsibility is overdone.
    Favorites get the bonuses, instead of those who are doing the work. More emphasis on social networking as a success factor instead of getting the job done.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the DPR facade and make managers accountable.

8. "Good Place"

Former Employee - Java Developer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Nice place to work and grow as a software developer.

Cons

Too many trainings.
    Too many architects trying to tell you what and what not to do.

Advice to Management

Fire some senior architects.
    Bring in young talent

9. "Monsanto pros and cons"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Mystic, CT
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Mystic, CT

Pros

Monsanto is a great place to work. Research roles are not strictly defined, which allows plenty of room for growth.

Cons

Limited opportunities, especially at the smaller sites (away from St. Louis HQ). Although we have plenty of room to grow within our current roles, opportunities for advancement are limited.

Advice to Management

Continue placing a premium on quality research and development work. Encourage more things like cross training and education to broaden the skill set of individual employees.

10. "Great company when I started."

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

-Great work life balance and benefits.
    -A lot of people are passionate about the company's goal to feed the world and make a lot of money.

Cons

-Lack of direction to employee's. I did not have a manager for a year after i was hired and then quickly went through two managers.

Advice to Management

-Next time you lay off people and say that you want to save money. Layoff the guy that makes 2x my salary and was asking me how to do our job on a daily basis.

11. "Great co-workers, Learned a lot, but they are cutting back right now!"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I loved my co-workers, I learned a lot of new skills, I know that if you are hired permanent the benefits are very good. I was a contractor who had worked there permanently in the past and I think/hope they have improved greatly in their treatment of workers since I was let go 8 years ago, probably largely due to CEO Hugh Grant. I know many people who have worked there a long time with decent salaries.

Cons

I was a contract worker there, and since I'd worked there in a permanent job in the past I had to go through their Resource Re-entry Center, which has gotten better but they offer no benefits or vacation tho if you work there long enough you will get 401K. I was hoping to get a permanent job but they are cutting back there now and let me go after only 3 months, and with only 3 days notice!
    I know many people who have worked there a long time and it really depends on the group you are in how you are treated and if you will get layed off.

Advice to Management

Good, hard working scientists are hard to find and very skilled labor, don't let good ones slip through your fingers, convert contractors to permanent!