Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• Refused to give me a position full time with benefits at the St (in 34 reviews)

"Awful"

Former Employee - Category Manager
    Former Employee - Category Manager

I worked at Monsanto Company (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people there. The cubicles are a good size. Plenty of bathrooms. Can't think of anything else.

Cons

Contractors are treated like dirt.
    VERY conservative environment. Check your sense of humor at the door.
    Management seems to be paranoid.

Advice to Management

Relax. Let your employees have a personality. Treat contractors like human beings.

"I wouldn't work there"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

Pros

I met some nice people. It's set in a small town so everyone, for the most part was friendly and willing to help out.

Cons

Honestly working there was awful. It really changed my perspective on the food I eat and the quality of farming in America. I think that everyone should have a taste of working at a place like this and at a slaughter-house so that we are endorsed in our American Food Systems. Unless you want to lose your appetite for corn, I'd suggest pretty much any other job. Also they pay people different amounts based upon who contracts them out, not work experience.

Advice to Management

I think that management should value the people who enjoy working there and continue to contribute. Morale is pretty low so I think that there should be more respect for those who continually contribute.

"Abandon Ship"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Several years ago this was a good company to work for, however those days are over.

Monsanto is currently massively restructuring, yet again, because senior leadership failed to see the challenges facing the company. Over the next two years the company will layoff thousands of talented, dedicated employees. They will be selected to leave by their insecure leaders based on who is the biggest threat to their power. At the same time the remaining talented employees are leaving in droves to get away from this disaster of a company.

Monsanto offers adequate benefits at this time, but those are sure to go away as management looks for more ways to cut costs and ensure their own survival. If you’re looking for a successful career, look elsewhere.

Cons

Management at Monsanto is abysmal. Sure, there are some good people that do care about their employees, but almost all managers only care about themselves and advancing their career through back stabbing, manipulation and taking credit for other’s work. Mid level managers have no training to manage people and waste the talents of their employees through incompetence, unfocused strategies and pointless meetings. Siloed is an apt description of every team at Monsanto. Most don’t actually know what the company does.

People development programs are utterly lacking at this company. You will be on your own to develop yourself with little help from your manager. HR is charged with people development programs and is the worst run organization in the company. The HR team, starting at the top, is so completely focused on convincing others of their business knowledge, they neglect the HR jobs they were hired for.

Monsanto talks a lot about diversity and this is manifested through the promotion of under qualified minorities over much more talented employees to meet quotas and win awards. This commitment to diversity is so strong, Monsanto has fired 4 directors of diversity in the past 5 years.

Advice to Management

Leave, retire, resign, go away. Hugh Grant you are past your prime as CEO. The rest of the ET is just as bad. You failed to realize how much the world hates GMOs and the company will never recover. You know GMOs are bad for humanity yet are spending millions on PR campaigns to try and convince the public otherwise. You will always be one of the world’s most hated companies. Reinventing Monsanto as a data company simply won’t work either. You don’t have the people or the time to do this. Buying/merging with Syngenta is also not the answer as you will just layoff even more good people. The only answer is to find new leadership from outside the company and see what they can do. And accept that this company will never be what it once was.

"Research is lacking..."

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Monsanto Company part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My fellow temporary/seasonal Lab Technicians (who worked 40+ hours a week all year long) were amazing people.

Cons

The company is structured terribly, leading to communication break downs on research projects. Managers have no idea what's going on. Platform leads are even more clueless. The folks who are actually moving the research forward are overworked and underpaid. The research scientists are lazy and "answer emails" all day rather than put forth the effort to really improve processes. The list goes on and on...

Advice to Management

Get rid of satellite management. It is useless to have a Platform Lead visit a facility once every 6-12 months to "check-up" on the research. Also, consider promoting high performing part-timers rather than seeking outside candidates (who generally wind up over their head because all that "experience" they had listed on their resumes was not accurate). I witnessed seven, well qualified part-timers who were overlooked for promotions, quit. They would have been amazing full-timers, but were not even considered because they were "temps". You are going to lose a lot of wonderful, hard working folks by looking down your nose at part-time employees and refusing to promote from within.

"Work here at your own risk"

Pros

Good workplace culture depending on your department. When I was there, it seemed like there were a lot of advancement opportunities. Again this depends on your manager.

Cons

Experiences at Monsanto are 100% dependent on which department you're in. I drew the short straw and got screwed.

After a re-org, I was supporting two departments and received almost no training. During performance reviews the feedback I got was complete BS. Since I was a management trainee, I guess I wasn't worth anyone's time. I felt like I was constantly being held back.

"Monsanto Procurment Discriminates Against Older Employees"

Pros

Adequate benefits, acceptable working conditions, and fair location.

Cons

Employees that are older than 45 are never given the opportunity for advancement even if they are the most qualified in Monsanto's North American Procurement Department. Monsanto doesn't even pretend to be fair. Older employees are routinely denied an opportunity to interview. They take this to such extremes as to not even allow older employees to interview for lateral moves. While younger employees are offered mentoring and development plans, older employees are ignored. North American Procurement Leadership does not value the experience, maturity, and wisdom of more senior employees.

Advice to Management

Age discrimination involves treating an employee less favorably because of her / his age. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) forbids age discrimination against people who are 40, or older. You need to distribute copies of the act to people leaders and follow it. You also need to conduct an HR investigation and eliminate the individuals responsible for violating the law.

"Management is not truthfull"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Jerseyville, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Jerseyville, IL

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The safety and training with Monsanto cannot be compared with any other company. They are by far the best i have ever seen; not so much with office traing

Cons

Although Monsantos safety is outstanding, their office training needs some major improvement on and so does the IT department. They section of IT into several different departments therefore it is extremely difficult to get anything done. I was at Monsanto for a hair over a month and due to the fact that IT could not properly set up my computer correctly, fried 1 of my 3 computers, and didnt know what the expression of "clone" when i asked them to clone (meaning copy, mimic) the other admins computer so that i could perform my job and be completely trained; I was release from my position. Maybe if IT could get their act together, and stop closing ticket that still need work done; maybe everyone else could do their jobs too.
    The second thing to watch out for, they will not let you know of your performance even if you ask. They will tell you, you are doing a great job and give you assignments and then pull the door out from under you. All while believing you are in compliance with Monsanto.

Advice to Management

If you have an issue with your employee, talk to them and tell them what is going on. Dont just let them go with out taking to you, especially when they ask you about their performance. Very unprofessional and disrespectful!

"Lacks integrity"

Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None provided by the company; good people work there and the business is interesting. Otherwise this company is terrible and upper management will lay people off every time they make bad decisions.

Cons

Company lacks integrity and constantly discriminates against certain types of people. When upper management makes bad decisions they aren't held accountable they just lay off honest workers.

Advice to Management

Hold management accountability and especially HR because they are worthless

9. "Positive and negative"

Pros

It pays well and i suppose it will weather the storm of most economic downturns, it is well positioned to be making money for a long time.

Cons

The company has so much money it seems to ignore incompetence and ignorance at a level thats hard to believe, also while making this money they have had numerous rounds of lay-offs.

Advice to Management

The senior leadership seems to be very smart, but at lower levels of the organisation the turnover is so small that the same folks have rotated through the same positions for multiple years, Hugh Grant was very impressive, i wished more had been so.

"Sad place"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

Pros

Salary, perks, low work load, no accountability to results

Cons

Bad management, incompetent people, no strategy

Advice to Management

Change the management. For a company that cannot manage it's public image or Stakeholder expectation the future looks bleak and crisis prone.

Showing 994 of 1,158 reviews