Monsanto Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Monsanto Company Reviews

Updated May 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Finance organization is very lean which leads to difficulty managing work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• More interns than full time jobs available (in 33 reviews)

1. "monsanto review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

science integrity culture transparency collaborative

Cons

hierarchy benefits salary IT PR

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great place to work, flexible hours, family friendly benefits. Hope this doesn't change with the Bayer merger.

Cons

No real cons that I am able to think of. As I stated above it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

I hope management realizes just how hard people are working and how loyal and connotes they are, and do what they can to relate their people values to Bayer management.

3. "Global Product Expansion and Pre-Launch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work; innovative culture; delivers on mission of sustainable agriculture

Cons

Corporate headquarters are in St. Louis, MO

"Field Worker at Monsanto"

Former Employee - Field Worker in Stanton, MN
    Former Employee - Field Worker in Stanton, MN

I worked at Monsanto Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good hourly pay for the work that was done. Since the work was seasonal, there would be times where we would make over time, and thus get paid time and a half. The work isn't too challenging if you don't mind being outside in intense heat.

Cons

Working long hours on hot summer days wasn't always the best, but they would offer plenty of water breaks to make it easier. Since the work is dictated by weather, you don't necessarily know when work will be cancelled, and you are never sure if you will have any days of the weekend off.

Advice to Management

I have nothing bad to say about the management, nor do I think they really need any improvement. The managers were all very understanding and compassionate towards employees who truly made an effort to be a good worker.

6. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company (More than 10 years)

Pros

Monsanto was a great place to work, because there were lots of career building opportunities, great benefits, and overall culture. I especially appreciated the matrix environment, which I found very effective in getting things accomplished.

Cons

Company reorgs and outsourcing has eliminated many IT jobs.

7. "Field coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, IA

I worked at Monsanto Company (More than a year)

Pros

People are really good to work with. The warehouse hours can be long. Safety is key working early mornings is a benefit

Cons

Long hours during harvest. Not very rewarding. Not a lot of advancement opportunities. White hats can be unpredictable and demanding

Advice to Management

Make employees feel like less of a number and more of a key part of the operation. Have more team building activities and keep up with the safety standards

"scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good compensation for the area, nice benefits including generous vacation

Cons

the last few years I worked there, politics became much more important than competence

Advice to Management

all show and no go will not take you anywhere

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with some very smart people. The company encourages you to always focus on development. The medical benefit plans are very good.

Cons

The only way to get get a raise is to move to another role which forces people to focus on the next role they need to get instead of the role their in. This creates a great deal of chaos in teams because people are always new.
    Training is poor because of the constant movement of people.
    HR is non existent. Managers need to wear many hats including HR. Systems are outdated. Processes that should be automated are manual due to a lack of IT and systems investment.
    You have to carry your trash to a central trash can. They stopped picking up trash at the desks to save money.

Advice to Management

Look at your compensation policy. Provide merit increases instead of tieing it to job changes. Focus on smart system changes. Stop cutting spending in areas that make workers unhappy like stopping trash pick up or narrowing the parking spaces which cause door dings. Use the information in the employee surveys to improve the work environment not just to create power point slides for town halls.

"Customer Operations Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Operations Specialist in Oxnard, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Operations Specialist in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at Monsanto Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits they pay a large portion of the medical premium so employee costs are low. Good 401K match- they match up to 8%

Cons

Poor management that seems to get rewarded and praised when their contribution is lacking- they pawn off a lot of their responsibility to their direct reports and constantly make excuses for not doing tasks assigned to them.

"Not for everyone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Creve Coeur, MO

Pros

In this metro area, for the time being at least, this is the "gold standard" employer as far as pay and benefits. If you work well in a "matrix" organization and have a great deal of education you would be hard pressed to do better.

Cons

All rewards are basically based on how much secondary education you have and how many times you change roles. This leaves employees who prefer to be "pros in position" and "subject matter experts" not only not being rewarded for their contributions in overall compensation but cleaning up after the people who come into a role and leave. Additionally, numerous people end us ananagers with no business whatsoever in thise positions. Case in point, new manager in my department has had over 90% turnover in 18 months, me included.

Advice to Management

Stop using matrix reporting structure. It is not now, nor has it ever been, effective. Reward people for the jobs they do, not how many different things they can get their fingers into.

Showing 959 of 1,112 reviews