Monster Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Timothy T. Yates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communications from upper management wasn't always timely (in 36 reviews)

• Work/Life balance - the stress of this job follows me home even when I proactively try to avoid it (in 13 reviews)

1. "Support"

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture! Very fun and hardworking group of people

Cons

I really don't have any complaints

"Monster"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great culture with a start up feel.

Cons

At the time, Senior Management was going through a shake up and they were disconnected to what the sales team was selling compared to they products and services THEY thought they should offer.

"Lack of company direction today"

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

I work with some great colleagues.

Cons

Tons of turnover and lack of resources

4. "Inside Sales Rep"

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Unclear of the future of company and job security.

"Sad sad place these days"

Current Employee - Finance Director in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Director in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few positives working here these days. I am just holding on until they decide to let me go like so many other qualified people.

Cons

No CEO and the CFO is just fine with that. The CFO runs this place like it is his own little business. All the new management that has come in over the past year has come in for a quick grab at a bigger salary and bonus. I can assure you, even if Monster does survive the next few years, all these bozo's will be gone, especially the CFO. Look at his track record or lack there of....

Advice to Management

No advice because they won't listen. They keep hyping the positive news, but ignore the big negatives like lose of market share that continues to decline. I'm hoping to get a job at Indeed!

"Broken from the ground up"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Forged some fantastic relationships over the years, and did very well financially (most of my tenure).

Cons

The best way to describe Monster? They are the Titanic with a golfball-sized hole in its hull. It's taken quite some time to bring down a ship that big, but they have been sinking for years and they've finally sunk. Morale is at an all-time low, and even management is just going through the motions and biding their time to get out. I was there for 10+ years, and knew a lot of people (still do). Literally EVERY SINGLE person I know there was either recently laid off or is frantically looking for a new job. All the new IBM management that came into the company in 2015 either quit or was fired, as yet again it was a bunch of cowboys who thought they could turn things around (and then quickly realized it was hopeless and abandoned ship). So, to anyone considering working here - would you voluntarily get onto a ship that's headed towards the lip of Niagara Falls? Would you run into an empty, burning building? Of course not, and don't take a job here either. As other reviewers have said, from a sales role perspective, don't even THINK that you're going to be successful here - you won't be. The company is broken and dead in their space. Every employee at every single level is just waiting for another opportunity and then will leave. The people who aren't leaving are simply the hold-outs that are comfortable collecting a check and will need to be dragged out when the time comes. The company was acquired for a paltry $429M, a fraction of what the company was worth in its day. Most people in the know have a hunch that it will be dismantled soon, as there's no way Randstad is trying to breathe life into a dying, non-profitable brand (they bought it for its technology and database of resumes). Oh, and did I mention that in Q1, 2017, they completely screwed every single sales person that over-achieved their quotas? (there weren't many of them). They hid behind a caveat in their comp plan that allowed them to cap payouts, and by doing so they absolutely robbed their long-time, hard working employees of money that they'd earned. The verbiage in their comp plan technically made it legal, but boy was it immoral and wrong. The worst part is that they dangled a carrot in front of many of them, giving false hope that they'd eventually get paid out "if they just wait a little longer," but no one was paid was was rightfully owed to them. It was just a horrible ploy to avoid a mass exodus. Their senior leadership really put the "Monster" in Monster.com with that sleazy move.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. Any managers who are reading this review are shaking their heads in agreement and know that this is all fact. I mean, they're all looking for jobs themselves.

"Stay. Far. Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

The only serious pros that I would fathom giving this company is that there are a few good people left (not many), and the so-called "work/life" balance was pretty good.

Cons

There is no CEO and hasn't been one for some time. The little bit of senior leadership they have in place has absolutely no idea what they're doing. There have been layoffs every few months for YEARS. They are hardly backfilling positions and the office is a ghost town. There is no culture left whatsoever and nothing in place to encourage employees to stay or have a sliver of happiness with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you're doing.

"DON'T GET TALKED INTO IT, IT'S A HORROR SHOW IN SALES"

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PLAIN & SIMPLE = DO NOT WORK HERE YOU'LL REGRET IT.
    - Reps are cool for the most part, but multiple reps per team are leaving weekly. Someone left by putting a post it note on his monitor! Another rep left shouting how they robbed him out of $10k on his way out! And while IDK if he got played out of this much, I know several others have had issues with bonuses. MAJOR ISSUES>

-1 of 10 People on each team will hit bonus. These are the favorites. I used to hate people who talked about favorites b/c I'm all about hard work and I would work my way up to 100% attainment regardless of favorites. But at Monster it's impossible. So much so that the favorites on each team, who everyone knew was being fed the golden accounts, got promotions to "KEY ACCOUNT MANAGERS". More money for them, less money for us. At this point in Monster's downfall to be completely phased out, I wouldn't bank on being the 1 of 10, even if you've hit 100% for 2 years straight before monster you're still not going to (yes, this has happened to someone here who left obviously).

Cons

PLAIN & SIMPLE = DO NOT WORK HERE YOU'LL REGRET IT.
    DON'T LET THE FALSE PROMISES OF OTE, THINGS ARE CHANGING FOR THE BETTER, OR THE FAKE 5 STAR REVIEWS CHANGE YOUR MIND.

Their revenue has been down by about $100M or more each year for the last 6-7 years. Luckily they were acquired by Randstad so now Monster's (MWW) revenue is hidden. The acquisition came with hundreds of sales layoffs and they don't stop. It leaves more dysfunction for the "lucky" survivors.

Work/Life balance - the stress of this job follows me home even when I proactively try to avoid it. They always trump themselves!

Money - Ask them how many people on their team hit quota last quarter. They might lie, but look them in the eye. Oh, and it was a 6 month comp plan, ask them about the duration of that and how the reps liked the comp plan. Ask them if you're in retention, and renew 100% but don't sell new business where that takes you attainment wise. Somewhere around 50% which translates to like 20% bonus.

The list of bad goes on so much further but I know I'll look like a disgruntled employee because there's so much bad at Monster and not much good. The sales reps are cool, the campus is good, but I'm there to make money and it's IMPOSSIBLE for 9 out of 10 people on my team. While it's IMPOSSIBLE you're pressured into fake forecasts and time consuming reports and plans to attain impossible numbers!

Advice to Management

PLAIN & SIMPLE = DO NOT WORK HERE YOU'LL REGRET IT.
    Grow a backbone and tell senior management how bad things are. We know they already know, but maybe you saying something will get them to changes things a little bit to make it somewhat tolerable as we leave here at the first opportunity!

"Monster is coming back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

New leadership team committed to a renewed strategy. Talented people being hired at all levels. Flexible environment.

Cons

Still turning around. Many changes means fatigue for those who have been here a while.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with employees. Need to provide merit when possible.

"So happy I left before next round of layoffs"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Met some awesome people.
    -Remote office
    -GREAT base

Cons

-Too many to list...Unachievable quotas (unless you're part of the "in crowd")
    -The people still shouting from the rooftops "Monster is putting the Monster back in Monster" look like morons. Honestly, the ship has sailed.
    -Randstad cheerleaders look even more ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Dear Randstad: Time to let everyone go from the "old regime."