Monster Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Monster Worldwide Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Pros
  • Work life balance is definitely a plus with this company (in 67 reviews)

• 10 years of service, Great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Communications from upper management wasn't always timely (in 33 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is not a priority (in 12 reviews)

"Run the other way & don't look back!"

Current Employee - Operations in Weston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations in Weston, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

The people! Although management leaves a lot to be desired, my colleagues are some of the nicest & most professional people I've ever met. The new building and grounds sure are beautiful, and it is eco-friendly. The cafeteria has delicious, reasonably priced food and a great staff! The gym is free. Sometimes, we benefit from Biogen's offerings such as the free electronics drop off. Covered parking available.

Cons

One raise during my tenure and zero bonuses. However, during the interview process, the recruiter made raises and bonuses sound as if they were common practice. No room for advancement. Favoritism is rampant and transparent. Policies are not consistently applied. Management is immature & unprofessional. They use fear and bullying as tools for managing employees. Sarcasm and snark are recommended and rewarded. Employees are not rewarded based on performance and/or merit. Appearances are more important (i.e. as long as one is at his/her desk 9+ hours each day, one is productive regardless of the quality or timeliness of the work). In short, welcome back to Junior High!
    Lunch breaks are strongly discouraged. Work from home is virtually non-existent despite the fact that it is a tech company and employees are provided with laptops and work from home capability (tokens, cell phones, etc.) The health care plan is definitely lacking and rather expensive considering the actual coverage.

Advice to Management

Two words: raises & bonuses!! How can you retain good employees without them? Model the behavior you wish your employees to follow. If you want us in the office 9+ hours, you should be here for more than 4 or 5 as well….just a thought! Add work life balance opportunities by providing more flexible schedules, work from home capability, and flex/summer hours. A large majority of the management team is very immature and unprofessional. Sarcasm, gossip, and snark are rewarded and bullying is encouraged. Favoritism is blatant and transparent. Reduce the Sales Team head count and consolidate sales books in order to save money on base salary while providing the Sales Team with an opportunity to actually make commission. No Sales Team wants to work for base alone. Apply policies consistently.

"National Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deep resources for HR clients

Cons

A major name that no longer has star appeal.

"A Great Company that Let it all Go"

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with Monster for 9 years. In the beginning, work life balance was great. I was making excellent money (six figures every year). It was stressful as with any sales job but was still fun and exciting mainly because of the people. Set hours so no taking your work home with you, which allows you to enjoy your family/ free time. Good benefits, Including a 401k which the company matched. Raises every year in the beginning based on performance. Sales achievers trips. I have some amazing memories with this company.

Cons

Unfortunately, most of the things that made the company and culture great stopped. No sales trips, no raises, and it became extremely hard to hit your number unless you are part of the favorites club. Management completely ruined the company. What was once so promising has become a dinosaur in the industry and I don't see how that can be fixed. I stuck around long enough to hear the plans to rebuild and couldn't see their vision. Micromanaging at its worst. Only there for shareholders, company could care less about the customer. In fact, as a sales rep they made it extremely hard to hit your number and make money without getting customers to buy products only to make Monster look better. In a lot of cases these were not products these customers even needed. I started with Monster because I felt I was helping people and making a difference....it happened to pay well and was fun which was icing on the cake. In the end I felt guilty, I was doing a disservice to my customers all for a buck. Management could care less, they are all about looking good. They rule by fear and threaten to fire you if you speak up, mainly because they themselves do not know how to manage.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees... They want to be successful too. They are the ones on the front line, let them help you right this ship. I still have a lot of friends and stock with the company and I would love to see there be a change. I do not know how Tim Yates is managing things as he took over just after I left but hope he is not running it the same way Sal did. Bring back the sales trips and raises each year.....sales people are in sales for a reason.

"IT specialist"

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the position was great, I had opportunity to advance and live anywhere they had an office.

Cons

Upper management changed often while I was there which led to different directions and company strategy.

"Tough place to work but if you can endure that dysfunctional - could be the place for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and good money - beautiful office space in Weston MA

Cons

Dysfunctional place to work. Cut throat dynamics. Monster has a broken process for getting things done. They are their worst enemies.

"Finance Professional"

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, committed people that work hard and always do the right thing for the company. Beautiful new facility with great amenities. Fun and relaxed environment. Challenging and always changing projects

Cons

New Management probably the best the company has had in a number of years. Unfortunately it is too late for Monster to turn it around.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. Retain your good people. Control expenses. There are still opportunities to make the end a bit less painful

"Telesales Small Business Account Manager"

Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Florence, SC

Pros

Great Co Workers, Monster really knows how to hire good people to work with. Paid well for the Florence SC area. Great place to get experience to go work somewhere better. If it hadn't been for my time with monster I wouldn't have my current position which I love.

Cons

I worked in the Florence SC Office and I can only speak for THIS office! Management is stressed to the max and doesn't communicate with the reps about what needs to be done. The focus switched from being about sales to you better be making those 75 calls a day or else. It doesn't matter if you hit quota of not they don't treat you any better. I was a top performing rep with one of the highest quotas in the center and my manager would come to me and expect me to make more to cover the slack from other team members. If I've already hit my $80,000 for the month you can't expect me to haul in that much more to cover for under performing co workers. If they're under performing let them go and replace them. Very VERY poor communication although you could tell the atmosphere in this office changed no one really knew why or what we could do and not do anymore since many rules changed. When I started working here I worked independently with very little supervision, if a question came up and I needed assistance I could go to colleagues or my manager or other managers in his absence. After the first year this was a big no no. One manager allowed one thing while others did not. There was no consensus for what could and could not be done. In my last few months I felt my job wasn't even needed truly because I couldn't even make a sale without approval from the manager, director, CEO, Pricing team, the legal department and so forth. It became ridiculous how many channels a sale had to go through just to be approved. I lost a $30,000 sale because it took 3 weeks for approvals on the sale. Not to mention I tried to starting on this early and was repeatedly ignored by my manger until the very last minute. Another big problem came from the introduction of the new products in the last 6 months of so. It wasn't about finding customers that needed these services it was about shoving them down their throats until they bought them or walked away. I lost 2 larger sales because the customer didn't want the Twitter Cards($150) so my manager wouldn't approve the deals which were $10,000 or more. Personally I think it's stupid to let deals like that walk away over $150 product. I was literally told as a direct quote from my supervisor that these products needed to be on every quote whether the customer wanted the products or not. To me this is a big issue. I'm responsible for the renewal next year and if I give you products you don't need, wants or use you will NOT renew next year. Those are simple facts.

Advice to Management

Communication, bring back a decent working environment, stop threatening to fire people you can't afford to lose and get rid of those that are bringing you down. Put set rules in place and if sales have to go through so many channels just get rid of your sales reps and have the managers handle everything because that is what it seems to be trending to anyways. Starting worrying about the customer instead of the number and maybe the stock prices will stop tanking. No one wants to be sold but everyone wants to buy SO STOP TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE INTO THINGS THEY DONT WANT. That's how Monster got into trouble in the first place.

"Joke"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Work from home. Competitive salary

Cons

Horrible Management on all levels

Advice to Management

Figure out what Monster does

"Great experience for a while"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Smart people with a lot of pride about the brand and company (when I was there).

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Plenty of pot-stirrers and gossips, but plenty of opportunity to keep focused on your job if that's what you want.

Advice to Management

Move on. Environment has been a stale, old boys network for too long.

"Started as a great company, quickly went down hill."

Former Employee - Sales Help Desk in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Help Desk in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some very talented and nice people who worked there. Great training program when first starting out.

Cons

Poor management, not flexible, unrealistic goals and expectations for employees working in call center. There were times when the environment felt more like a high school than a place of employment - lots of gossip, lots of drinking, and just overall mayhem. It was distracting.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and try to get back some of the magic of the earlier days of the company.