Monster Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Monster Worldwide Reviews

Updated May 8, 2017

Pros
  • Work life balance is definitely a plus with this company (in 67 reviews)

• 10 years of service, Great people (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Communications from upper management wasn't always timely (in 33 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is not a priority (in 12 reviews)

"Monster pays well but they have no organization. They change their business-model at the drop of a hat."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was great, $65,000/annual with bonus structure; working remote. Developed many skills with the help of fellow teammates and support personnel. Offered home office equipment and expense account via Visa credit card.
    Never had any issues getting reimbursement.

Cons

The company doesn't have a clue what they are doing. The rules are different from person to person and from manager to manager. I found management to be worthless in supporting sales reps and in knowing the job that they expected the reps to do. I had three managers in 2 years, four different account lists and various supporting cast that changed with the wind. The CEO is invisible as is the rest of the folks in the ivory tower in NY.
    Monster has a horrible way of talking bad about present and former employees to customers. They broke various laws that I saw and will never pay the price.
    They tend to put certain people in no-win situations and then critique them on lack of performance.
    Sal is a freaking joke as is the rest of upper-level management. They are totally out of touch with the grunts in the field.
    HR is a joke as well, they are clueless as to how to run a HR office.

MICRO-MANAGEMENT is the name of the game here.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people and quit pushing the envelope where employment laws are concerned. Learn to communicate with everyone and give new ideas a chance to work before you change everything.

"Horribly Run Company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are not a lot of good people there so it can be relatively easy to get promoted.
    Work-Life balance is good. Virtually 9 to 5.

Cons

CEO has no clue how to run a technology company or how to innovate.
    Always focused on meeting analyst expectations for the quarter.
    No real long term vision.
    Horrible software development practices that are very waterfall-y.
    Offices are sad places with offices and cubicles.
    Virtually no perks unless you consider a Flavia coffee machine a perk.

Advice to Management

Monster needs a new CEO and the board needs to fire Ianuzzi.

"Fraternity Style Environment"

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers career opportunities and promotes from within. Work-life balance is good - no need to take work home at high. Compensation is higher than industry standard.

Cons

Office culture was like a fraternity party with drinking on the job and rampant unprofessional behaviors. While the corporate culture was good, the local office culture goes back to the local management.

Advice to Management

Professionalism at the top creates professional in the office.

"They don't value their employees"

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. The managers, and colleagues on the inside sales team were great co-workers. I think their sales training program was fantastic as well. I have never come out of a on-boarding training more ready to go than Monsters. Also, they paid hourly, which also meant they paid over time which made up for a lower salary.

Cons

Too long to list. Poor compensation, weak benefits, lock of respect for sales team. Once you put your 2 weeks in they will doc your pay, or send you a bill. I hit my number while I was there, so I'm still baffled at this. In fact I would be writing a good review until I experienced their exiting process. I only left because I had an offer I couldn't refuse...now I'm glad that I left there. Not really any other career opportunities once you get here. Most of the team had been there for 7+ years. I didn't see any promotions while I was there either.

Advice to Management

You're employees are trained well and work hard. Start treating them like it...and I don't mean buying ice cream at EOQ. I heard that Monster used to take care of the sales team before Sal came aboard as CEO. Maybe the change needs to be made at the top.

"Went downhill fast after founder and early executives left. Used to be fun, now it is just a factory."

Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Telesales Executive in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young telesales group that was competitive In a good way amongst themselves.

Good benefits, free soda, and they bring in lunch at end of months and quarters.

Cons

New c-level managers suck. A bunch of retreads from Motorola. No industry experience.

Constantly messed with territories and quotas. No consistency. High pressure and if you get the wrong manager, you will want to quit.

Totally missed on strategy for mobile for years. That is why linked in and indeed are killing them.

Stopped innovating and was ok with being the big bully for market share.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and either acquire an innovative competitor or sell to a bigger firm with resources to innovate. You are moving toward irrelevance.

"Great life balance"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best part is you get to work from where ever you feel like it ie.. Home, Starbucks, at the beach wherever your heart desires. Or don't work at all one day and no body cares or knows what you're doing. Calling in sick or for vacation not necessary either. As long as your showing numbers, that's all this company cares about. Benefits used to be fantastic with just a $500 deductible for $330 a month family plan but now it's $4000 deductible.

Cons

Extremely high quotas, management is never available when needed. Biggest problem with this company is they require things of you but never ever follow through with it. They create products to compete with companies when there's no completion in the first place. Apples and oranges are fruit but nothing alike. They create technology products and expect non-techie sales people to sell it. They offer incentives to sell certain products because they know those products are tough to sell. Plus they bought Hotjobs a few years back when HJ was going down hill. So they invest in a company that wasn't making any money and is not helping to make money. Not to mention this company is up for sale now. They have huge social media competitors and they have no idea how to compete. They're job postings don't work and they make clients spend more money in other products to make job postings work better.

Advice to Management

Be around more for your team. Live a day in your sales team shoes.

"Lack of real Management"

Current Employee - Sales in Maynard, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Maynard, MA

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Co-Worker
    Okay Benefits
    Flexibilty of Time off
    Good Location

Cons

No Accountability for actual time worked by employees.
    Lack of real Management
    Favoritism to some employees
    Managers use internet inappropriately as do employees.
    Sales people are give spiffs for things they should be doing as part of their normal jobs they are being paid to do.

Advice to Management

You need to make sure you employees are actually working and putting in the hours they claim on there time cards. There employees who come in at 10am leave at 4pm and take 2 hour lunches. You also have people claiming to be working and are actually on vacation with with the family or or friends.

"Not Innovative, lots of red tape"

Former Employee - Sales in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not much to speak of - mostly chasing their tail and wishing they were linkedin. Very late to the game

Cons

management is not supportive, CEO is not innovative, the company thinks b/c they were one of the first sites on the internet, that should be enough to get customers to buy - NOPE

Advice to Management

listen to your people and pay attention to the market.

"A caotic sinking ship."

Former Employee - Technology in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Technology in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pockets of smart, dedicated, and talented people.

Cons

The company is on the downside of declining industry (large job boards). The talent that built the company has largely long since left or has been laid off.

Employees are under a tremendous amount of stress and pressure to do a lot with less than the bare minimum.

Advice to Management

Sell the company and move on.

"Lack of Direction - Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Mid-Market Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Work-life balance is ok if you don't want to have a life outside of work. New intiatives are rolled out with no explanation of how they will be executed. it's like mystery meat in the cafeteria. Do you really want to try it?

Advice to Management

Restaff all key positions. The CEO gave a two hour speech this week and he sounds like Rocky Balboa after he took too many blows to the head.