Monster Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Monster Worldwide Reviews

Updated August 19, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communications from upper management wasn't always timely (in 32 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is not a priority (in 12 reviews)

"National Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Deep resources for HR clients

Cons

A major name that no longer has star appeal.

"Management"

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people at the company are fantastic and helpful. I couldn't ask for better colleagues.

Cons

Management is "old-boy network" and you work in daily fear for your job every day, even when you are doing well.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your customers. They are the bread and butter of the orgainzation. Without them, you don't exist.

"A Great Company that Let it all Go"

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant (Sales) in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was with Monster for 9 years. In the beginning, work life balance was great. I was making excellent money (six figures every year). It was stressful as with any sales job but was still fun and exciting mainly because of the people. Set hours so no taking your work home with you, which allows you to enjoy your family/ free time. Good benefits, Including a 401k which the company matched. Raises every year in the beginning based on performance. Sales achievers trips. I have some amazing memories with this company.

Cons

Unfortunately, most of the things that made the company and culture great stopped. No sales trips, no raises, and it became extremely hard to hit your number unless you are part of the favorites club. Management completely ruined the company. What was once so promising has become a dinosaur in the industry and I don't see how that can be fixed. I stuck around long enough to hear the plans to rebuild and couldn't see their vision. Micromanaging at its worst. Only there for shareholders, company could care less about the customer. In fact, as a sales rep they made it extremely hard to hit your number and make money without getting customers to buy products only to make Monster look better. In a lot of cases these were not products these customers even needed. I started with Monster because I felt I was helping people and making a difference....it happened to pay well and was fun which was icing on the cake. In the end I felt guilty, I was doing a disservice to my customers all for a buck. Management could care less, they are all about looking good. They rule by fear and threaten to fire you if you speak up, mainly because they themselves do not know how to manage.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees... They want to be successful too. They are the ones on the front line, let them help you right this ship. I still have a lot of friends and stock with the company and I would love to see there be a change. I do not know how Tim Yates is managing things as he took over just after I left but hope he is not running it the same way Sal did. Bring back the sales trips and raises each year.....sales people are in sales for a reason.

"Director"

Pros

I worked with great people

Cons

Leadership does not engage, no innovation

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, work/life balance, decent benefits. Monster seems to FINALLY be trying to reinvent itself and has made a few good acquisitions and product launches. It may be too little too late but at least there is an effort to change.

Cons

Moral is very low. Fear based culture. Managers ignore their direct reports while trying desperately to impress the executives. There seems to be a struggle between what Monster really is...Are we a job board? A software company? A media company? Monster is trying to be everything to everyone and as a result not doing anything very well at all.

Advice to Management

Your employees want Monster to win but you have to bring the fun back to the workplace. There is a huge lack of passion and enthusiasm which our customers feel.

"IT specialist"

Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - IT Support Specialist in Florence, SC

I worked at Monster Worldwide (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the position was great, I had opportunity to advance and live anywhere they had an office.

Cons

Upper management changed often while I was there which led to different directions and company strategy.

"Manager"

I worked at Monster Worldwide part-time

Pros

There are some very talented people that work at Monster.

Cons

Monster is lacking vision good leadership.

"Tough place to work but if you can endure that dysfunctional - could be the place for you."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weston, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and good money - beautiful office space in Weston MA

Cons

Dysfunctional place to work. Cut throat dynamics. Monster has a broken process for getting things done. They are their worst enemies.

"Finance Professional"

Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Monster Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, committed people that work hard and always do the right thing for the company. Beautiful new facility with great amenities. Fun and relaxed environment. Challenging and always changing projects

Cons

New Management probably the best the company has had in a number of years. Unfortunately it is too late for Monster to turn it around.

Advice to Management

Keep at it. Retain your good people. Control expenses. There are still opportunities to make the end a bit less painful

"I would describe my time at Monster as challenging - unreasonable quota's and unhappy culture looking to leave."

Former Employee - National Account Manager
    Former Employee - National Account Manager

Pros

There was a strong benefits package for my family and the Sales Reps were a fun group of people when we got together.

Cons

Poor Brand Recognition from the customer base in that any innovation was overlooked with pre-conceived notions of the company.

Advice to Management

All you do with unrealistic quotas is drive poor behavior by sales managers to lower prices and turn your products into commodities