Montalba Architects Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David D. Montalba

1. "Great Employer, award-winning designs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Montalba Architects full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart, talented designers with diverse experiences
    Sophisticated designs, opportunities to work on a variety of different types of projects
    Strong leadership
    Good salary and benefits
    Collaborative culture

Cons

In order to provide the highest level of quality in our designs, hours can be long for some.
    Due to busy schedules at the senior level, it is sometimes difficult to get feedback on our work.

Advice to Management

Providing employees with constructive feedback, getting to know them personally and making time for regular meetings/mentorship will help keep us happy. Help us find ways to allow more time for balance outside of work.

"Rewarding experiences shared with great people"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Montalba Architects full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My experience at Montalba spanned a period of rapid growth bringing the former company of under 10, at my arrival, to more than 30 at my departure. This transition undoubtedly had its challenges as David and staff learned and adjusted the management structure along the way. Experiencing this growth proved to me the dedication of the company to do great work with great people and to continually learn and improve as an organization. A typical experience at MA offers great growth potential, especially to those bringing motivation, a positive attitude, and a willingness to communicate. Dedication by staff is rewarded and recognized. My experience started with model-making, and left with a portfolio of beautiful award-winning projects that I saw from design to completion. Two years later, I’m happy to count as friends both David and the other great people I met there - who continue to support and encourage me to this day.

Cons

As with any design-oriented architecture office, the hours can be long. Working on great projects with a great group of people more than makes up for it. Work is primarily very high end, which may not be for everybody. Bad attitudes are not appreciated.

3. "Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Montalba Architects full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, humanistic approach, wide range of projects (type and scale), international projects.

Cons

High expectations and sometimes hard work to meet the deadlines.

Advice to Management

Project and human management can be complicated in such a big architecture firm. However the company always cares for the well being of the employees and helps them learn and grow.

5. "Ups and Downs"

Pros

Smart coworkers, some fantastic projects and notable clients. Hard work sees great reward, but be ready to work, work, WORK.

Cons

Favoritism is the name of the game here. Everyone is expected to work long hours. Weekends are fair game.

Advice to Management

Don't compare employees - recognize everyone for their own strengths. Value your employees - they work their butts off. Don't play favorites - it's obvious to those who aren't on the list.

6. "Broad range of experience, fast turnover rate"

I worked at Montalba Architects full-time

Pros

Range of projects to work on really helps find your fit. David truly attempts to mentor all in the office even with his busy schedule. Although not always successful, the firm

Cons

The firm feels more like a production office than a design studio with no original ideas being developed. Those in upper management positions other than the founding principal do not attempt to know the employees becoming isolated and uninvolved. The long hours make for a toxic environment leading to quick burn out. This resulted in a very fast turnover rate within the office and a hostile attitudes towards those in the office trying to leave or unhappy with the work. Lack of (and refusal to use) appropriate software, equipment, and work areas made for a inefficient and often times frustrating work flow.

7. "There is no place like home yet there is Montalba Architects"

I worked at Montalba Architects as an intern

Pros

This year I spent abroad will with no doubt always be the best experience of my life but it would certainly not have been so enriching and satisfying without my internship at Montalba Architects. You know this little pinching in the heart when you feel melancholic? Well it just keeps coming back. MA was like a small family to me.

Everyone in the office was always willing to help and to answer my questions. They took the time and everyone knows time is precious for architects. I felt very supported, whether I was working in team or alone. That's actually another great thing about this experience; I got the chance to work on a small yet very interesting project alone and it was truly rewarding to notice that my own ideas were taking into account.

Great atmosphere, interesting and wide range of projects, supportive colleagues and a GREAT office organization. I would definitely recommend working at MA.

Cons

I had the chance to go on a construction site only twice and with hindsight I would have liked to go more. However I am sure that if I would have asked, I could have been more involved in the execution phase of a project.

8. "Truely recommend"

I worked at Montalba Architects as an intern

Pros

Working at Montalba was the best work experience I've had so far. The projects in this office are quite diverse and situated all over the world which I found enriching. Although I was just an intern, I immediately got to not only work on various projects at the same time but I was also given a lot of responsibility which I really enjoyed. Another thing I enjoyed was the fact that the team is young and always willing to help out if needed. This is probably due to the great atmosphere in the office. We are always encouraged to learn more with different organized courses or learnign experiences. I would clearly recommend this office.

Cons

There is a lot of work but I did not mind as it was very interesting and motivating.

Advice to Management

Continue on this path! The little things you do (team building events, Fridays@5, etc) for the staff really makes it encouraging and great to work at Montalba!