Monteith Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

Monteith Construction Reviews

Updated Sep 24, 2019

3.7
Monteith Construction President/Founder John Monteith (no image)
John Monteith

"A company where employees matter"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Monteith Construction full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

By far the most forward-thinking company I have ever worked for. The company truly takes action on an employee's requests. Everyone working at the company is hard-working but easy to get along with. Monteith encouraged growth and allowed me to learn as fast or slow as I needed.

Cons

The aggressive growth can be tough on employees that are not willing to come in and ask their own questions and chase after their own goals.

Monteith Construction2019-09-24

"Be very cautious..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Monteith Construction full-time

Pros

The company gives you a lot of freedom depending on what department you work in. They are understanding of emergencies, appointments, private/personal needs, etc. Very willing to reimburse work-related expenses.

Cons

I didn't really feel like my position was going to develop into anything further - maybe raises but never more authority. Very cliquey. There's definitely an inner circle. I personally thought there seemed to be a lot of sexual relations within the company. In my opinion, the place was ran like a frat house. Lots of beautiful women and partying/drinking (even during the day at work). Lots of "head turning" by the higher ups - to things I personally think would be "red flag" to other CEO's/managers/bosses.

Monteith Construction2017-12-19

Monteith Construction Response

January 16, 2018HR Director

First, thank you for the feedback. We value and respect the opinions of every employee at Monteith Construction. Complacency is not in our DNA, and it is through feedback like this that we work to continuously to improve. As we hire, we bring in great people who make great decisions, and we trust those employees with freedom. We are glad to see that mission resonated with your time at Monteith. Sometimes freedom and flexibility are at odds with structure. As a company we are looking for the right balance of both. From a recent employee survey, we found that an area of growth was to provide a clearer career path for all employees, and we are currently in the process of implementing this change. From that same employee survey, we found that 92% of people both enjoy working with their coworkers and are proud to work at Monteith Construction. We are sorry to hear that neither of these sentiments applied to your experience. We respect your opinion, and we will continue to make Monteith an excellent place to work, where people enjoy one another and are proud to be a part of our team. We wish you the best in your future endeavors. Again, thank you for the feedback.

"Apply With Caution"

Former Employee - Superintendent in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Monteith Construction full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Sense of community is strong. Great co-workers

Cons

Pays not to Industry standard and no raises so negotiate high up front. No annual or Christmas bonus. Hires less experience for lower wages. Hours are long and you are expected to work weekends. No smart growth. Does not value its people No communication Projects under staffed or wrongly staffed. High turnover Work life balance is only for those working in the office.

Monteith Construction2017-03-30

Monteith Construction Response

June 22, 2017HR Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback, it helps us get better. First and foremost, we appreciate how much time you put into this company. We are deeply sorry that your experience at Monteith did not match our intention of being the best place you have ever worked. As we continue to grow, we're constantly looking for ways to improve the way Monteith does business. We place a tremendous amount of value on the people we work with (both inside and outside our walls) and a work / life balance is vital for all employees. For that reason, we've started circulating regular employee satisfaction surveys to find ways to better promote a healthy and happy working environment. We've also recently hired a Communications Manager to help better tap into the needs of our employees. As we scale, communication is one of our highest priorities. We have many ideas for improving internal communication to help avoid losses like this one, and we will continue to push forward on those. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you well in your future endeavors.

4. "Great company!"

Project Manager/Safety Trainer in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Monteith Construction for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work! Co-workers and management are awesome!

Cons

Sometimes scheduling can be last minute, but that's really more of a industry issue.

Monteith Construction2016-08-15
  5. "Accoutant"

I have been working at Monteith Construction

Pros

Nice working enviroment. Very respectful. Salary is above the area average with all kinds of benefits and personal education and development opportunities

Cons

If you don't like beach, Wilmington may not be your best choice.

Monteith Construction2016-05-01

"Project Coordinator"

I worked at Monteith Construction full-time

Pros

They have a great work/life balance.

Cons

Communication between the 2 offices is weak.

Monteith Construction2015-07-26

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews