Montesquieu Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Fonda Hopkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our work environment is fun, supportive and energetic (in 8 reviews)

• They teach you a whole lot about wine (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a job that requires hard work and a drive for success (in 5 reviews)

• COLD CALL LIKE YOU ARE A GLADIATOR IN THE COLESIUM (in 3 reviews)

1. "A career that's easy to be passionate about"

Current Employee - Wine Advisor
    Current Employee - Wine Advisor

I have been working at Montesquieu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First I want to state how proud I am to be working with the team at Montesquieu. Across the board, from the executive team to the other wine advisors...they're real people with a desire to educate and make us successful.

I've learned a lot about wine. I've learned even more about being a professional sales person. It's been challenging since I was new to wine and phone sales. This might sound bad, but I used to think selling was about tricking people into buying. I'm embarrassed to write that, but it's true. I've learned here that successful sales people are a partner and a leader that serves the client. You can't fake that. It means being sincerely interested in your clients.

I believe I'm getting a career and developing skills that I can transfer into many other industries and positions.

Thanks, Fonda.

Cons

Selling over the phone is a numbers game. It's a lot of hard work. Most aren't cut out for this kind of job because they're too lazy, can't take the "no", or most often they're just not interested in being helpful to others (clients). Some focus on the "close" rather than being a valuable advisor and partner. Anyway, I guess the con is just that selling over the phone is hard work that takes skill development. It gets easier as you ramp, but I don't want people to think that this is an easy job. It's not, but it's worth it. .

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people.

2. "Wine Broker"

I worked at Montesquieu full-time

Pros

Great for day drinking and learning about wine.

Cons

Not a lot of training, extremely high turnover, can be a hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Proper training for brokers and management would be recommended.

3. "Time for a change"

I worked at Montesquieu full-time

Pros

Energetic Climate with great product

Cons

Business is antiquated and turnover is high.

4. "New career and loving it!"

I have been working at Montesquieu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working and being exposed to some of the best wines in the world! Our sales manager has helped so much in training me to improve my skills in sales and helping me grow and succeed. I take pride in being apart of such a great company and I'm excited to see where it takes me.

Cons

Cold calling can be tough but in reality it helps develop the skills required to be successful in life and work. It was always a fear of mine but I now know it has helped in developing my skills as a sales professional.

5. "First Sales Job"

I have been working at Montesquieu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a multitude of pro's. Aside from full benefits and a very positive work environment, the job itself is wonderful. I am growing as a businessmen. Learning how to build a book of business. I have great support from our team. We have a great back office support (administration, financial, warehouse, etc.). It's wine, so it's a very fun and entertaining environment. It's also exceptional wine, so it's even easier to get passionate about. You get to develop yourself as fast as you want, look at yourself as a personal entrepreneur.

Cons

This is a tough career path. This is my first job in sales. The pro's have more to do with me. Cold calling, remaining positive, those tough days are hard. They can wear anyone down. You have to dig deep and find yourself. This also isn't a regular 9-5. You work all day everyday, which you have to be ready for. I was going into it.

Advice to Management

Understand where we are at. It's 2017. The world is growing at a fast pace rate due to technology. The more efficient we are on that end, the more we can grow as a company.

6. "Finding Opportunity"

I have been working at Montesquieu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Montesquieu for just about 5 months and as my first real sales job I have experienced all the ups and down that come with adjusting to becoming successful in this field. Luckily, I have been able to rely on a positive team, mentors and a great product to help me through. Our work environment is fun, supportive and energetic. We are always getting new wines from all over the world and so we are constantly learning and building on our wine knowledge. Each day can bring something different but I love that we are in charge of our sales destiny. The company is working on expanding and growing and with that brings various opportunities for a strong career.

Cons

This is not a typical 9-5. You are expected to cold call, find leads and build on both your sales and wine knowledge outside office time. You are responsible for making yourself the best you can be. There can be a lot of rejection and uncertainty, especially as you are building, and it's up to you to stay positive and motivated to overcome that. This is definitely a job for self starters and individuals who want a career.

Advice to Management

As we are growing and moving beyond just cold calling and personal referrals for leads, it's important to continue to move with technology to advance our reach. This is something we are starting to do and I feel we can only continue to benefit from as we find more avenues for our outreach.

7. "Best Career Choice!"

Current Employee - Sales/Training Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Training Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Montesquieu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Montesquieu for a little over 4 years now . It has been such a fun ride ! I previously came from a face to face sales background and for me I found working over the phone to be a new exciting journey and challenge. First of all I love the wine so its easy for me to get passionate about the product. Second, I was mentored by great Leadership in the company and always felt I had a mentor that had my back to guide me to success . In some of my past jobs you went through an initial 3-6 week training , here at Montesquieu the training is ongoing your entire career but very focused your first 6 months. Montesquieu is also changing the way we do business in 2017 and "reinventing" our company and hiring/training process , with these changes over the next few years the opportunity to grow is truly endless!

Cons

This is a job that requires hard work and a drive for success! You have to be a great people person , and by people person that means not being scared to jump out of your box and embracing the adventure. There also has to be a "never say die attitude", meaning you have to really work hard, especially your first six months and trust in your mentors.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the fun new changes !

8. "Fun company, great product and leadership!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Montesquieu part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Montesquieu has been great. It's a fun company that sources great wine from all over the world, offering it exclusively to our clients. The work environment is relaxed, everyone is friendly and passionate about what they do, and leadership is focused on the right things.

Cons

In the past the company was too reliant on cold calling to bring in new accounts - that definitely burned some people out, particularly in sales. Management is now focused on web based lead generation strategies which is solving that problem and resulting in a much better experience for new sales reps.

Advice to Management

Keep making great wine and evolving lead generation strategies to better mirror the buying patterns of today's buyers!

"Don't Work Here"

I worked at Montesquieu full-time

Pros

They teach you a whole lot about wine.

Cons

Boiler room. They basically throw you into a room with no real training on rebuttals and expect you to sell. It can be a fun environment for some, but not if you;re looking for a real career.

"Demise"

Former Employee - Wine Broker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Wine Broker in San Diego, CA

I worked at Montesquieu (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no longer any positive attributes to this company.

Cons

What was once a successful organization has become a volatile ship headed for the bottom of the ocean.