Montrose Environmental Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Montrose Environmental Group Chief Executive Officer Vijay Manthripragada
Vijay Manthripragada

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Montrose is a growing company that is adding labs and consulting firms that complement existing group" (in 5 reviews)

• "Working with great people, many who are highly skilled and specialized in their work, you will learn a lot" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Lots and lots of travel, must be willing to travel a lot" (in 5 reviews)

• "There are lots of long hours and controlled chaos" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Montrose / Enthalpy"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Montrose is a growing company that is adding labs and consulting firms that complement existing group. I've worked at other labs that purchase other large networks and those networks always end up being so large that lab closures are inevitable. I prefer working for a company that takes a more strategic approach to growth.

The wide range of services offered by Montrose allow growth opportunities for employees that want to try something new.

On a more local level I feel that our lab director truly cares about our team and has our best interest at heart

Cons

Communication can improve when new businesses are added to the company.

"Large Company Struggles Small Business Attitude"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent benefits/vacation policy, wide diversity of people and experiences.

Cons

Corporate is very money driven to the point it hampers daily activities. They expect people to make more and more for the company while giving very little back. The corporate team in general is clueless on what environmental services actually is since none of them have an environmental background. They don't listen to the struggles of the employees, force us to use awful software for project management, and hardly acknowledge the people behind the company. For a large company, each office operates fairly independently so nothing is streamlined and each office is only concerned about their own finances and looking good for corporate.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are telling you what is wrong with the company. Stop squeezing every single penny; people make this company successful, invest in them, their equipment, and their time. WIthout the respect of your employees, you will loose valuable talent and cannot recruit new ones. Learn how to manage the company as a whole. We need to operate as a large company, and stop letting every office manage themselves. Worry about profitability as a whole company and not each individual group. Stop acquiring companies until you have fixed the ones you already acquired. Connect and communicate more with your employees; we don't trust corporate since they never really make the effort (the CEO does but no one else).

3. "Profit Over People"

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with a couple of the people, but that didn't outweigh the negatives.

Cons

Lack of safety, lack of training, lack of equipment that works, lack of structure. Honestly, I've been in the professional industry for 20 years and I've never disliked a job more.

"Still a long way to go"

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

Salaries for the exempt positions are decent. Benefits provided are on the generous side.

Cons

Work-life balance is still very out of sync. Too much travel/time away from home for too little money. No real training or continuous career development path for the non-exempt field technician staff.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate how you look upon the field staff. Many of these bright you people can go just about anywhere else and get better work conditions, better pay and still have a life outside of work. If you expect people to be away from home and family for as many as 6,000 hours a year, then you really need to make it worth the sacrifice.

"Move aside little guys, here come the corporate shills"

Former Employee - Environmental Project Manager
    Former Employee - Environmental Project Manager

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work independently
    Good health benefits package
    Relaxed work environment
    Variety of project areas

Cons

Lack of opportunity for advancement
    Corporate mentality imposed on mom/pop small businesses
    Salary significantly lower than industry averages
    Top down management that is clueless of day-to-day operations
    No bonuses

6. "Growing, Diverse Company with Many Opportunities"

Pros

Montrose is a specialized environmental services company with many opportunities for career advancement for motivated employees. Fast-paced environment with dynamic leadership and dedicated employees (at all levels within the organization) who take pride in their expertise and work.

Cons

Employees need to be open to change, as the company is constantly evolving (for the better!).

7. "Good people, Engaging, Challenging"

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

Working with great people, many who are highly skilled and specialized in their work, you will learn a lot. It can be fast paced and will keep you on your toes but I enjoy that. Good opportunities for advancement. Positive mission.

Cons

It's a fast growing company which causes some growing pains, but they do put effort into addressing problems and updating processes.

"Interesting Career that Provides Decent Pay"

Pros

Interesting work with decent pay. Every day is different. Provides the ability to learn many skills in both an industrial and office atmosphere.

Cons

Requires lopsided work/life balance at many times throughout the year.

Advice to Management

Don't fix it until it's broken.

"Great company to work for if you're hardworking and patient with expansion, standardization"

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity for advancement if you work for it
    - Management continually trying to improve
    - Flexible hours despite heavy workloads
    - Great company mission for the environment

Cons

- Can be labor intensive, especially during peak seasons
    - Positive changes can take a while to come about because it's such a young, expanding company

Advice to Management

- Continue making progress on improving employee morale and company culture
    - Support new acquisitions more thoroughly

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - District Manager in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

Opportunity to travel and see places most people never know about. Corporate really does seem to care about the employees. There is a good balance of working both outdoors and in an office setting. The field is constantly evolving which can offer good challenges to a motivated employee. Montrose is on the cutting edge of that evolution.

Cons

The work can be physically demanding. There can be a lot of travel for new employees. Communication between management and employees is sometimes lacking.