Montrose Environmental Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Montrose Environmental Group Chief Executive Officer Vijay Manthripragada
Vijay Manthripragada

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There are lots of long hours and controlled chaos" (in 5 reviews)

• "lots of travel, low pay, bonuses/incentives are only good for some but not others, hard to tell what direction the company is moving in" (in 3 reviews)

"Enthalpy Analytical - Quality Data & People"

Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management fosters environment of teamwork and collaboration
    Employees take pride in generating high quality data

Cons

Sometimes locations seem disconnected causing redundant work because of poor communication

Advice to Management

Keep investing in talent and technology (LIMS)

2. "Not great"

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

Nice per diem, benefits. Gone so often you get to see a lot

Cons

Overworked, pigeonholed, disorganized management, very little communication

"Lots of potential"

Former Employee - Field Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Field Project Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

-Great advancement opportunities for entry level employees
    -leadership at the technical level is excellent
    -Great PTO policy
    -I have worked with several offices and I have found the vast majority of employees to be hardworking competent and good people
    -The one to two star reviews are unfair because they really are just criticizing the nature of the industry, which Montrose has no control over. In order to be cost competitive employees will have to work long hours on some occasions. I have spoken with other companies, and the pay is competitive within the industry.

Cons

-not much advancement opportunities for mid-level employees
    -Jobs with long hours are doable but there cant be too many back to back days and back to back weeks
    -Capitol spending seems low in a way that is unsustainable. Source testing equipment doesn't last forever.
    -The five star reviews are unrealistic. Very few companies are perfect but anybody who gives the company five stars doesn't really have their finger on the pulse of the company so to speak.

Advice to Management

-Montrose is one company. Once best practices are established for business models/marketing/technical approach they should be instituted company wide. Inertia is tolerated too much in my opinion.
    -Non technical management needs to consult with technical staff about what their needs are before making decisions that affect them

"Senior Field Technican"

Former Employee - Senior Field Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Field Technician in Portland, OR

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and culture in the Portland office. Travel and OT if you like that. Occasional projects that are very easy (lots of down time.) Whopping 5 weeks of PTO per year, to make up for the sometimes absurdly long work weeks. Decent medical and 401k.

Cons

Montrose could be better, but many of the cons are a result of the nature of the industry. Work in rainy, loud, or intensely hot environments. Clients that are unprepared or have semi-unsafe work areas but we feel like we ask them to spend money on improvements for fear they might go with one of our competitors. Many parties involved in a project (client, safety, corporate, government) and sometimes it's impossible to please everyone, a lot of pressure to keep quiet about certain things.

Advice to Management

Local management does the best they can but are often hindered by corporate, which prioritizes the bottom line and doesn't seem to understand the work that makes them money. Their priority is to go public, so they seem to be squeezing a little more than usual, and are also implementing some policies and technologies in order to seem cutting edge and corporate-like, but all they do is make more work for their employees.

5. "Customer service"

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

I would not recommend this place

Cons

Manager and CEO treat employ with no respect

Advice to Management

Treat your employee fairly

6. "Former Employee"

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

This is a great place to get your foot in the door particularly if you are an Environmental Science or Chemistry major

Cons

At times the workload can be pretty high and it sort of got to. Expect long hours and that you will be pretty much living in the lab.

"Project Manager"

I worked at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of resources and locations

Cons

Poor work quality,lack of knowledge, long days/weekends, treated like a number to the company, poor pay

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I've been working here for 3 years. Like other companies, if you're not a contributor, you'll not get advancement. Don't be fooled by the negative reviews from those who are not star performers. If you see things that are not right, say something and the management will take care of them. Everybody is working hard.

Cons

Overtime is required quite often

Advice to Management

Take care of your good employees and you'll be fine

"Don't Trust These Ratings!!!"

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time

Pros

Better than average pay for our area. The ability to help you stay single, or rid you of that pesky wife. Getting constantly browbeaten by superiors will make you a tougher person and more capable of handling the worst life can throw at you. This company also excels at not letting your ego get too large and keeping you grounded by reminding you how worthless and easily replaceable you are.

Cons

Do NOT trust the positive reviews on this site! Corporate emailed the entire company and encouraged us to go on this site and write positive reviews to improve our score. The recent bad review of a lab on 2/22 and a positive review of the same lab on 2/25 is a prime example of this. This is the culture Montrose truly promotes. Pay scales vary drastically from region to region even when taking in to account factors such as cost of living. Lost time accidents are manipulated to win awards for hours worked without a lost time injury. Offices are treated as their own entity and left to be lorded over by the district managers who are purely revenue driven and talk/treat their employees in the worst tones. Paychecks and expenses reimbursements are consistently incorrect or slow and always blamed on the employee which leads to one having to wait longer for monies due to them. In the most recent negative post that Montrose replied to, they instructed that employee to speak to upper management to help resolve issues. This cannot happen and is not tolerated. Human Resources is not confidential in this corporation. I have witnessed HR calling a manager and telling him a complaint was filed against him and who filed it. There is a lot more that can be said, but I think this will suffice for now.

Advice to Management

I would, but if my District Manager found out I talked to corporate I'd get fired.

"Enthalpy Analytical, LLC - a Great Fraud"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Montrose Environmental Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice location, laid back environment. Decent benefits.

Cons

Enthalpy Analytical, a subsidiary of Montrose, has no regard for data integrity and quality. Practices such as data manipulation, data falsification, and outright fraud are not only tolerated and enabled, but persons engaged in such practices and their cover up are promoted and rewarded. Any inquiries and concerns are minimized, disregarded, and swept under the rug - all in the name of securing client contracts. People that follow the rules and do the right thing - are either ignored and pushed out, or terminated for fabricated reasons. Dishonest frauds get promoted and put in charge. Hardworking, talented people are disregarded, treated unfairly and driven out. Management is motivated by greed, with only priorities being profit goals and multiplying the vice presidents, of which there are a-many.
    Leadership makes a lot of proclamations on the importance of quality and integrity, urging employees to be vigilant and report any issues - a shameless farce. Data is manipulated and falsified on the highest levels to meet client expectations, so that lucrative contracts can be secured and some more VP's get promoted.

No surprise that the real data generated is crap - the company is extremely disorganized and severely lacks in competent leadership. Communication and workflow organization is poor, employees receive no training, and are left to figure out their duties on their own; projects and tasks are miscommunicated on the daily basis. The atmosphere is of confusion, frustration, disdain, and extremely low employee morale.
    A lot of equipment is second hand, non-functional junk from ebay, with no service contracts.
    Garbage in, garbage out.

A depressing and disgusting place to work if you have integrity, value professional ethics, scientific integrity, and honest business practices.

Advice to Management

No point giving advice to crooks who do lip service to decency.

Montrose Environmental Group Response

Mar 1, 2018 – Montrose Environmental Group

Montrose takes great pride in our data integrity and quality assurance programs. Our laboratories maintain a robust set of accreditations which dictate minimum thresholds for quality assurance... More