Monumental Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Monumental Life Reviews

Full-time Part-time

1. "Unfair practices by agency managers"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Allentown, PA

I worked at Monumental Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate HQ's training is top-notch

Cons

Disconnect between Corporate HQ's and local agency managers. Corporate is for doing it right and local agency managers that I had were all for doing it their way. Unprofessional male managers that talked trash to females and treated the job as if it were their way or the highway. If you didn't like their approach they retaliated in their own ways. Don't be a female and say no to them because they the male managers got together to make your life with them fail because they will not allow you to grow and do well. Sex harassement and discrimination by local managers...for sure! Don't dare produce more than the boss because he will not allow you to get ahead. That was my experience and worse than I am prepared to say here.

Advice to Management

Have corporate monitor closely the local agencies and how they operate.

2. "Very good place to work if you have no personal life or want any time to do personal things."

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Mount Sterling, KY
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Mount Sterling, KY

Pros

The chance for advancement and to make money is unlimited. They will help you succeed any way they can. The training is second to none.

Cons

You are on call at all times, they call early 7:30 am and late 11pm every day of the week except sundays. You cant ask for a day off or you are given the third degree about missing out on sales and made to feel like you dont care about your job.

Advice to Management

I am a very motivated person and i understand that some people need to be pushed and that they lie about working and what they are doing, but some of us dont need to be "bird dogged" or baby sat, its degrading and demeaning. I feel like im on call all the time, i signed on to be available to my clients at any and all times but this 24/7 thing that you think you can call and i MUST answer the phone is b.s.

3. "My experience with Monumental Life was great, the benefits spoiled me!"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Livingston, TN
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Livingston, TN

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexibility, great management, excellent pay (even during the beginning months)

Cons

Pay could be great but it all depended on your previous 3 months' sales.

Advice to Management

Mentor, mentor, metor!!!

5. "It gave me the ability to change my familys way of life, and I took full advantage of it."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mount Sterling, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mount Sterling, KY

Pros

The ability to plan my own scheduel. By helping my customers I help my family at the same time.

Cons

The ability to plan my own scheduel. If I don't plan I am not productive.

Advice to Management

We have to recruit, and treat our agents good. Without our sales people in the field we can not operate.

"Not a bad position.... for a sales job."

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Waynesboro, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Waynesboro, VA

Pros

Flexible Schedule - You can work as many or as few hours as you would like as long as you meet mimumum sales goals. You are not expected or pressured to work weekends/holidays. Benefits Package is above average: Health/Dental/Vision, 401k, Pension Plan, Stock Options. Advancement is possible if willing to relocate. You are given a book of business which pays service commissions immediately (essentially acting as a salary).... though it's not enough to live off without generating your own sales, it's better than what most insurance companies offer to start. Mileage is an itemizable tax deduction.

Cons

It's a Sales Position!! Meeting weekly/monthly goals can be stressful. If you're expecting a six-figure income, it's not likely... $35,000/1st year, $40,000/2nd year is more reallistic.... and that doesn't factor in your gas/car expenses. Expect to work nights! Warm-calls are not much better than cold-calls... you need thick skin. Expect to put some miles on your own car.... In two years I put 60,000 miles on my vehicle and that was strictly work miles.

Advice to Management

Make the client's best interest the focus rather than the sales numbers!! In the two years I worked for Monumental, I saw a shift from focus on the client to more of a focus on the numbers/sales goals. Agent's compensation went up through consolidation at the expense of the services provided. Not a recipe for long-term success.

7. "Monumental - good and bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Agents service an existing customer base (renewals are paid as base salary). It is relatively easy to earn a promotion - there is a lack of competent sales managers and/or district managers. Openings are frequent at the sales manager level. Easy-to-do job: the agents are selling policies to an unsophisticated, uneducated clientele for their own, immediate financial gain.

Cons

Pressure for results at any cost. Lack of respect for the agents. Agents have to collect premiums in dangerous areas. Charges for lapses on policies written many years ago. Unethical behavior is sometimes tolerated.

Advice to Management

Promote competent, energetic, educated, and motivated employees. Get rid off the "experienced", unprofessional, and forceful managers. Respect people!

8. "Good Company at a Crossroads"

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Bowling Green, KY

Pros

Benefits, good rapport with our office. The history of the company.

Cons

The company, like many others is changing, and with the changes comes insecurity about jobs. It's trying to be a leaner company, with a larger volume of sales which is quickly taking it away from the incredible and personal customer service that made it both a great company to work for and to do business with. From there is going into a generic 1-800 number type insurance company, that while still providing a great insurance product is very cookie-cutter.

Advice to Management

Do you want a large gross margin of profit and an excellent reputation that took 100 years to build or do you want to be AIG?

9. "insurance agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Monumental Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

enjoy working with customers on a regular basis. Had clients in several different counties.
    However,enjoyed the traveling.

Cons

many late hours.often from 8a.m. to 11 P.m. district mgr. berated various agents for having an off week in front of 30 other agents and managers.

10. "Hard work great pay."

I worked at Monumental Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is great and loved working with people.

Cons

Didn't like to travel in the area assigned.

11. "Monumental Life good place to work (AEGON)"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

Pros

In the institutional marketing area where I work the atmosphere is professional yet friendly. The work is challenging and rewarding.

Cons

Very difficult to get promotions in the finance and accounting area. Senior level in department is comparable to team lead or department head at most other companies.

Advice to Management

Have uniform standards and expectations accross all divisions and departments. Need to stop being so risk adverse and missing opportunities for growth.