Mood Reviews | Glassdoor

Mood Reviews

Updated Sep 17, 2019

Found 294 reviews

2.6
Mood CEO Steve Richards (no image)
Steve Richards

"Bad company, Bad culture, Bad leadership, Bad pay"

Former Employee - Sage in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Mood full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are no pros to working at Mood. It is one of the worst companies to work for in America. There is no positive culture and no reason to be excited to go to work. The people working there are all waiting for a new job or the next layoff/ office closure. Nobody I know is making Mood their career choice. (And if they are, they are in for a world of hurt.) When I worked there, I would have panic attacks on... Sunday evenings because of my horrible boss and the toxic/ negative environment at Mood. Don't let HR tell you differently. Working there is not fun and funky. It is sad and desperate. It is cold and self-serving. It is heartless and demeaning.

Cons

The management is clueless and arrogant. It is the place where careers go to die. Mood management (note I did NOT say leadership) is incompetent and is oblivious to the issues that the employees deal with daily. Middle managers are all yes-man "empire builders" and have created their little departmental silos to keep other groups at bay and puff up their authority. Unfortunately, I reported to the sorriest... individual that I have ever met. He was brought in by the management du jour (who has since been bounced out) and he promptly placed his buddies into lead positions over others who are clearly more qualified. Furthermore, they are not replacing employees in their Fort Mill location and are going to phase the duties in that office to Austin over the next year. I say "good riddance to bad rubbish".

Advice to Management

my advice to management is to quit so you can get a golden parachute and more than likely get rehired in 9 months to a year. It is a great deal if you can get it. Mood has made a few people rich by firing and rehiring them repeatedly.

Mood2018-03-13

"More responsibilities with no financial growth in sight."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Mood full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many good co-workers, live music events, and opportunity to learn. Good snacks. Decent entry-level job.

Cons

Pay is not even close to competitive. I worked at Mood Media for more than three years and achieved all of my long-term 5 year goals outlined in employee development plan reviews. I also took on my additional responsibilities left over after the departure of two senior managers in my department and did not receive any form of pay increase. After three years of entry-level pay I realized it was time to seek career... opportunities elsewhere despite the fact that I liked my job and had hoped to work at Mood long-term.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of the company. Mood is losing a ton of smart, talented, and motivated people because they are taking on more responsibility and not growing financially.

Mood2018-03-10

"Temporary means to an end"

I worked at Mood full-time

Pros

People, PTO, don't have to take your job home with you

Cons

The overall attitude of the employees is complacent, stressed, or an overall negative combination of both. There are no raises, the only pay increase is by moving departments, making it feel like they don't care about their very high turn over. If you are looking for a 9-5 that you can get done and leave at work, depending on the department (not PSM - very stressful) this might be for you.

Advice to Management

Offer raises to your dedicated employees that stay, rather than leave like the majority. There is no incentive to stay.

Mood2018-01-27
  4. "I look forward to coming to work everyday!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Mood full-time for less than a year

Pros

Outstanding events team, great building with music playing throughout the day, great department morals. I love what I do, who I work with, and the place I work at.

Cons

Not all departments have fun. If you're not having fun at work, fix it. Or, LEAVE. Don't bring down an entire company because you don't like how things are working. One negative would be the compensation - it is rare to have reviews and increases in pay. BUT there is always opportunity to grow if you show interest. If you work hard you will work your way up. My dept feels like family, I wish it felt that way... company wide.

Advice to Management

Work with other departments and be more cohesive throughout the company. For example, AMS or CS can engage in the same management principles as Visual or IDSR. Have fun! You're here for 8 hours a day, why not make it great?

Mood2018-01-25

"Yikes!"

Former Employee - Scheduling Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Mood full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cheap snacks / wear jeans to work

Cons

When you're swamped, you're swamped. Don't bother complaining, you will not receive any help. Management likes to turn their heads and ignore problems. There is (awful / repetitive) music blasting constantly, while angry customers yell in your ear about how terrible the company is. We had no ability to fix anything, and we would have to send our limited techs out to work 12 hour days. If you suck at your job,... management will bounce you out of your position and promote you to a different position. If you're awesome at your job, management will keep you and make you unable to move to a new position.

Advice to Management

Give these people raises. I'm talking about every customer service department. We work so hard to keep the company afloat and we're making pennies. Turn the music down, we're talking to customers and we're trying to keep them as customers. LISTEN to problems and try to fix them. Don't sweep them under the rug.

Mood2018-01-30
  6. "Vs fulfillment"

Former Employee - Vs Fulfillment in Clover, SC

I worked at Mood full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Coworkers are like a family. Great PTO and health care, Denial. Had a great director who cared and make the place as fun as he could to work. Had special events.

Cons

Upper management heavy. Departments like to pass the blame on to others. Some departments new hires make more that people who have been there for years.

Advice to Management

Think about giving raises as the company has not on almost 10 years. Have more chances for advancement. Also be more open about company changes.

Mood2018-01-17

"Project coordinator"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood full-time for more than a year

Pros

2 weeks of PTO, casual dress, not micro-managed, ability to work overtime, social environment, team building events, good management. Audra in the service delivery department is extremely knowledgeable in almost every situation and is very helpful and hands-on. There need to be more managers like her.

Cons

There is a big learning curve working here. Many things come up that are on a case by case basis and there is not a one size fits all process or policy for a lot of situations so it can be confusing what to do in certain situations. Don't get me wrong, this is not a difficult job, but you can definitely expect to multitask and be able to handle a large volume of work. Daily tasks are extremely repetitive and your... day becomes very monotonous but do require focus. There should definitely be better communication between departments and better training for some (sales). Because we install different sound and visual equipment, you do need to understand basic construction details and be able to quickly catch on and understand new things. There is an attitude of "that's not my job, so that's not my problem" which is not helpful to anyone. But this seems like it will be getting better. The most important downside is the pay. We are not paid a lot, and raises do not occur often despite the high amount of work you are responsible for.

Advice to Management

Hire more good managers, hold re-fresher trainings, incentivize employees through some healthy competition, pay employees more.

Mood2018-01-16

"account management"

Former Employee - Acct Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at Mood full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

good sr management tools training

Cons

poor decisions management muzac people

Advice to Management

go back to dmx values

Mood2017-12-28

"Operations Mess"

I worked at Mood full-time

Pros

It's a job and pretty hard to get fired.

Cons

Operational nightmare. NOTHING goes the way it's supposed to, and the senior executives make no effort to correct problems so the same mistakes happen over and over. When a client freaks out because their installation went wrong or their music went off, no effort is made to make sure it doesn't happen again...all the effort goes into coming up with a plausible lie to tell the client so they cool down. No client is... happy with this company and Mood's competitors keep stealing their business.

Advice to Management

Accusing your employees of being "negative" when they explain the problems just makes you look out of touch. Fix the problems and you will stop losing accounts.

Mood2018-01-31

"All that shimmers is sure to fade"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at Mood full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The PTO is generous, and many of your coworkers are quite good and talented at what they do. There is a lot of creativity and support for advancing creativity. Lots of musical artists, known and up-and-coming, performing in the HQ offices. Or at least there used to be.

Cons

Quality of health benefits dimished over the years while premiums went up, as with many companies. 401k contributions were revoked while I was there, but I believe they have since reinstated them. Company morale is generally pretty low due to overall poor financial health, well-below average employee salaries, ever-looming excessive debt, personnel instability within management, constant client complaints, and... poor/no management of installation projects.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees more. Invest in them. Put some effort into supporting your employees, incentivize and train them. They will in turn be more motivated and invested in contributing to the company's success. Clients will notice and react positively to the change.

Mood2017-12-22