Mooney Aerospace Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Small town anomaly"

Former Employee - Engineer in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent skill development considering the location
    - Competitive pay relative to the cost of living
    - Builds a very exciting product
    - Diverse opportunities and chances for career advancement

Cons

- Big business structure in a small town hurts productivity
    - Multiple locations with differing needs create a silo mentality
    - Lack of intercompany cohesiveness

Advice to Management

Build intercompany relations and reward individual effort. Upper management seems disparate from day to day operations.

2. "Good Intentions Gone Wrong"

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time

Pros

Foreign Investment keeps jobs in small town

Cons

Very little chance for advancement. Don't wait till you are hired to get what you want financially. Once you are hired you will most like not get a raise. Quality in need of a tune up..A good quality leader is needed to bring quality up to par with other aviation companies. Chinese investors may or may not stay. Good Luck if you decide to work there.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers as you would want to be treated.

3. "Consistent cycle of failing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There are some nice people who work there.

Cons

-CEO/upper management have no idea what people are working on or know how to manage workers
    -I have seen close to 200 people come and go...
    -Some teams are expected to stay for 10+ hours a day and work like dogs.
    -After a while you loose hope that the project you are working on will ever be done.
    -Set hard dates to finish parts of the project, don't let team A keep making major changes that effect everyone because they think (with no real research or proof) it will be better
    -You will never get a raise, I worked there for 3 plus years, worked hard and never got a raise.
    -No real work to be done. You work hard to finish your parts and major changes happen and you have to do it again. After a while you wonder why you keep making parts if everything is going to change again in a week.
    -If your going to announce a new project make sure the project will happen. Don't get everyones hopes up and get people to start working on a project and then a month later say stop working on that project.
    -Chinese investors. They have no idea how an aviation business is run or in fact any business. They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
    -Location
    -Benefits are no good. This was my first job out of school and I didn't have much to compare too but all my co-workers said they are terrible benefits-.
    -No 401k contribution. When the new CEO came(2016) in he said they were going to start matching 401k contribution, which they did for 1 pay period and then never told us they stopped.
    -A lot of "old school" people there that are stuck in there ways and dont want to change, really delays the projects and products are not as great as they can be.
    -No real way to move up in the company. Myself and many more have asked/tried and instead of helping us and keeping us happy they higher someone else that changes everything and once they realized what a mess they have made leave for another company.
    -No help for learning new programs. They expect you to know everything already.
    -A lot of pointless meeting where nothing get accomplished, just arguing and yelling
    -Quality and execution on production planes are below par and embarrassing.
    -They keep outsourcing work that could be done in house.
    -I am sure Mooney will not be around after 2017. They moved to Texas and its easier to fire people in Texas...

Advice to Management

Non, there is not much that can bring this company back from the depth it has dug its self in.

4. "Drafter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chino, CA

I have been working at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was always busy and allowed to work in different departments to gain a better understanding of there product.

Cons

Upper management could not get set on a path and stick to it.

Advice to Management

Built what your asked to build.

5. "ownersrunning into ground"

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really great product and brand

Cons

Chinese investors and owners have no clue how to run an aerospace company. I wouldn't be surprised it declares for bankruptcy at end of 2017

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Design Engineer

Pros

Great team, Salary is alright, Some nice people, Laid-back atmosphere

Cons

Each department is not communicating with each other effectively. It prevents the company from moving forward.

Advice to Management

Communicate with each team more effectively

7. "Aircraft Interior Design Engineer"

Former Employee - Aircraft Interior Design Engineer in La Habra, CA
    Former Employee - Aircraft Interior Design Engineer in La Habra, CA

I worked at Mooney Aerospace (More than a year)

Pros

Broad latitude to design and refine interior aircraft parts and ways to install said parts.

Cons

Too many overall large changes that completely affect all departments, focus and stay with main changes into refinement, finish it.

8. "Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Kerrville, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kerrville, TX

I have been working at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small company, get to wear multiple hats, good learning opportunities, great exposure to general aviation, sheet metal and composites manufacturing. Fun place to work. Small enough to have family environment. Great to work with a good team and awesome airplane.

Cons

Like many older companies, Mooney struggles with the "we've always done it this way" mentality. Communication between managers and managers to subordinates can be less than perfect. Conflicting direction within the company can hamper progress and moral. Lots of overtime at times.

Advice to Management

Management should all be on the same page and give clear direction to their employees. Better salaries will help with employee retention. Listen to advice of employees (particularly the engineers!)

9. "design engineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Chino, CA

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's a small but growing company. Salary was alright. There were only some nice people to work with.

Cons

Many conflicts between departments. The work environment is lacking respect from each other. Everyone seems to be doing things on their own. The upper management is poor. they have no clue what they want and they keep changing ideas over and over again without getting the job done. Some employees are unprofessional at a workplace and should be fired. Guess what, these are the ones that still work there and don't get fire regardless of complaints. Employees tend to look for other opportunities to get out. I will never work for a place like Mooney ever if there are still that same management there because I know things won't go far regardless of a new CEO.

Advice to Management

just a piece of advise that if the company needs to go far, the management needs to change and I mean big change. So far more talk than action. Just wait and see if the new CEO can make a difference. I don't know if he can. All I know is he's cutting off the budget by firing a number of people. This isn't always a wise idea. He needs to look at the root of the problem.

"Wish it would had lived up to the hype"

Former Employee - Operator in Kerrville, TX
    Former Employee - Operator in Kerrville, TX

I worked at Mooney Aerospace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to do job with minimal supervision. New owners "Chinese" are investing in company. Pay OK for location of company.

Cons

Little to no training. Very few new ideas due to majority of hires are older employees that were brought back that do not like change. Little support from engineering. Facility and equipment antiquated. Diverse workforce but upper management not diverse. High Turn Over rate.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and try to make them feel like they belong.