Moorehead Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Moorehead Communications President & CEO Scott Moorehead
Scott Moorehead

Pros
  • One of the beat things about this company is the Culture of Good (in 21 reviews)

• Fun and Friendly work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management has personal relationships with staff (in 40 reviews)

• The nature of the industry leads to a off kilter work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

1. "Tech advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington Court House, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington Court House, OH

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money for entry level position

Cons

Communication with management is lacking.

"Pay scale is irritating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to make bonuses
    Love my customers
    Have lots of work to keep busy
    Great team
    Outside of that nothing really.

Cons

I bust my butt every month to be number one in my state and it always goes in noticed. Our top tear goal is 16500$$ if you meet this you get paid 3% of all gross profits after this mark.... are you kidding me?!!? So If I sell 10000 for this company I only profit 300 dollars? No no no I refuse to try after I'm at my max. I feel like the company has a serious disregard for how much we have to do for 1000 gp. ....

Advice to Management

We are the front lines and are the sole bread winners for the company please treat us like we actually matter.

Jun 12, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for your comments and concerns as an employee of our company. I want to be the first to say that we truly care about our employees and want to properly reward them for their hard ... More

"Great job, not great people."

Former Employee - Verizon Wireless Retail Sales Representative in Midland, MI
    Former Employee - Verizon Wireless Retail Sales Representative in Midland, MI

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved working with customers, great boss, had a fun time every day when I went into work. Learned a lot about cell phones and new technology

Cons

It was a decent job but there was much too much work to do for the amount of money I was being paid. The manger was also rude and made it hard for me to do my job to the best of my ability

Advice to Management

Be careful who you let run your stores

"Great in the beginning before commission structure changed."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Greece, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Greece, NY

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros what so ever. I had to quit because sales were being taken away from me. HR didn't respond to me when I emailed. Very unprofessional.

Cons

Pay and commission structure. Stop worrying about giving back to the community and give back to your hard working employees. Sales jobs should be unlimited income as long as you put the best foot forward. Not capped.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't give a hoot about anything. As long as their slave employees show up to work they are happy. Worked there for 2 years and didn't meet a manager that did any work.

Apr 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for your comments and concerns about your time as an employee of our company. I want to be the first to say that we truly care about our employees and want to create a work ... More

"Posers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn how to slam customers and how to work in an environment that pretends to be family oriented.

Cons

It's a corporation that is franchised from Verizon wireless. You get your beatings from both Verizon and TCC. You have to learn quickly how to slam customers and mislead customers. Don't disclose everything or you'll find yourself in the bottom 20%. There's always going to be a bottom 20%.
    They never own up to their mistakes. They just simply pass it off and try to sell you on the why. Even if the why is a terrible idea created by disconnected corporate employees. The retail game is changing. Watch how many of these locations start to close over the next few years. The market has matured and the innovation become stagnant. Why do you think Verizon is pulling out of retail? Minimize your overhead and focus on internet sales and service. Verizon is publicly traded so they have their own agenda. Which makes it pointless to assume that working for a franchise would allow you any freedom to have a family culture.

Eliminated the MM layer then blamed the lack of sales growth on the position. During the restructure they stated that this role was removed because it prevented sales from happening. When in reality they broke records when the role first came out. I think the issue was not providing proper support to this layer. Changing focus and direction constantly. Dealing with growth and pulling people out to deal with this new areas. Lying to the new acquisition employees about who we are. Major miss and you should have been honest. You paid the majority of them less to work more. Over promised and under delivered.

Advice to Management

Good luck. I couldn't tell you anyone who works in the field that's been with the company for more than 10 years. At this point probably 5 years. The talent pool gets worse and worse. They keep promoting people who commit the most fraud and lie.

Apr 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for your comments and concerns about your time as an employee of our company. Let me be the first to say, the last thing we want to do is take advantage of our customers or our ... More

6. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Got to work the schedule I wanted
    Culture of Good is a great thing
    Pay was great when the store is busy
    Coworkers were fyn to work with

Cons

The store I was in was not properly advertised since we were in a big shopping center surrounded by multiple stores. Customers didnt even know we were there because there was no signage at the entrance of the shopping center.

Advice to Management

Really listen and talk to the employees in the field. You will be surprised by how they really feel about the company and the recent changes

"Constantly reinventing itself"

Former Employee - Technology Advisor in Grand Haven, MI
    Former Employee - Technology Advisor in Grand Haven, MI

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Benefits are good and affordable if you're single
    -With new pay structure and a hot streak, it can be quite easy to maximize bonus potential

Cons

-Policies are inconsistent. Front line employees are entirely at the mercy of their direct manager and the Market Manager/Regional Director above that level.
    -Pay is now capped with latest revision to pay structure (Nov. '16)
    -Minimal sense of job security, especially after Jan '17 wave of layoffs

Advice to Management

In the 16 months I worked for Moorehead, the company underwent at least 4 major overhauls/restructurings/reinventions/direction changes. Middle management was shuffled all over not just my market but my state, often given the ultimatum of "make the move go." It's unfathomable to me that a multibillion-dollar company would feel the need to turn on dime, undergo a facelift, and at the same time spin off divisions into their own companies *multiple times in the same year.*

Give your strategy some time to play out first before you tear it down and start over. It leaves your employees with a very thin sense of security. I know of one 12 year veteran of the company who got fed up with the whole "take this or go" Hobson's Choice that he decided to leave.e

Feb 16, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for letting us know about your concerns while an employee with TCC. We're listening to you and understand where we need to improve. These are issues that are affecting our employees ... More

8. "Central Ohio ALL IN"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Troy, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Troy, OH

I have been working at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Firstly, this isn't a fake review. No one in Ohio would ever do that. I can't speak to other areas. This is a company that has good leaders in place and rough leaders. A recent restructure has eliminated the "too many cooks in the kitchen" vibe. The mindset that the negative reviews have is simple, I didn't get what I wanted, I didn't make 60k a year. This is an entry level retail job. Most of my employees have none to little sales experience and most have no college education. I'm not saying either is bad, but do you think you should come in here and make that kind of money? When you have the right leaders in place, this is more than a job. If you are not afraid to work hard and put in the effort, you will get noticed. I recently met the President and Director of Sales. They have the same mindset. I've been recently moved to one of the busiest stores in the state of Ohio. I got there after running a small store and grinding success out of it by working with my reps. My managers have allowed me to "take the keys to the store" and do things MY WAY. I've never been given a chance like this before in my many years of wireless experience. I will follow my boss to the ends of the earth. The work life balance she has given me is amazing, as one time I said I needed to come in and she demanded I stay home and be with my family. I've called off for my kids illness, which was a frightful experience with my other two wireless jobs, she simply says "Get them kids taken care of, I'll come to your store and keep the energy up" Incredible.

Cons

It is retail and you deal with the general public. This can be frustrating at times as some of the things are out of your control. This isn't anything new in ANY retail environment. The communication piece I've seen in other reviews is pretty accurate. We struggle to find current promo's quickly.

Advice to Management

Nothing to report here, as my leadership team is excellent. Im sure this isn't the case in all districts, however, Ohio is stacked with solid leaders. I'm sad I lost Mr. Rector in the recent change but way too excited for my new BIG BOSS.

"Market Manager"

Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Moorehead Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a good business model, they give back to the community, are professional in many areas. Good company to start a career as an entry level sales person. Traveling was beneficial and rewarding.

Cons

Upper management easily loses touch with middle and lower level management/employees. Too much change in personnel on all levels. Recognition for hard work is definitely overlooked and rewarded by who you know. Past year multiple compensation changes, management shuffling, layoffs without notice.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots which were started such as skip level meetings, spend time with middle/entry level managers and allow for genuine honest feedback.

Keep TCCs identity and stop trying to follow corporate Verizon!! Their ship is slowly sinking and you are letting them dictate your fate.

Feb 24, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello, and thank you for letting us know about your time working for TCC. We're glad to hear about the positive experiences you had, but we're saddened to hear about the negatives. We strive to ... More

"You should probably avoid this place."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marion, IN

I worked at Moorehead Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people who work at Moorehead Communications/TCC are fantastic, talented people. I enjoyed my coworkers and we all got along great.

Cons

But TCC is a miserable place to work. There are constant layoffs and unclear goals. It's the most competent people that are usually laid off too. That makes it difficult to make any meaningful progress on anything you are working on. Upper management is disconnected from those that actually run the company and is stuck in a frat boy mentality.

Advice to Management

Just because you say you have clear goals and say that your company is well loved by its employees doesn't make it true. Be honest about your strengths and weaknesses if it's not too late.

Jan 20, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator

Hello. We want to thank you for letting us know of your experience working with us and for expressing hopes for the future of our company. We say this a lot on here, but it's posts like this from ... More