Mooseheart Child City & School Reviews | Glassdoor

Scott Hart

1. "It's a calling"

Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family over business. Purpose is VERY clear. Ample opportunities to build MASTERY.

Cons

Pay and AUTONOMY. It is a non-for-profit so pay is tight, but fair considedring...DCFS rules don't allow for much flexibility.

2. "Rewarding but walking on eggshells"

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time

Pros

Rewarding work, Housing and most utilities included, You have some input in schedule. Working with kids and making a difference, with many opportunities to form some lasting and powerful relationships. There is a lot too learn and will develope some great skills. Large enough campus to feel like a real community

Cons

Management believe kids don't lie, Most support is defined by "Use the Program" instead of discussing and solving the problem. Feels like you are always judged and under investigation, not trusted. Living where you work makes it difficult to balance work/life. Program is donor funded, so rules changes when donors on site.

Advice to Management

Learn to adapt your program, have a more open management team and be more supportive of staff. Remember that kids lie.

3. "Job caused mental health breakdown"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are awesome, I had a blast working with them and going on adventures. You are given a recreation budget to take the kids out.

Cons

Being a live-in Family Teacher is definitely a lifestyle change and huge commitment. Unfortunately, there is no room for growth, and your sanity is at risk. I worked at Mooseheart for 2.5 years and loved my kids. I would have done anything for them, but Mooseheart does not allow you to care about the children. Mooseheart treats these children like "normal" children. They are not. They have been taken out of their family and home, and thus are traumatized. They need to be treated with clinical, trauma-based care. They need love, affection, and hugs, which are not permitted. The concept of "discipline before love" is ruining these children. They are very attention-seeking and it needs to be handled with more sensitivity. The high school girls all end up pregnant after Mooseheart because they are not allowed or taught appropriate social skills with the boys, and they are so hungry for someone to make them feel special. The kids end up homeless after they age out of Mooseheart, if they are unable to return to their families. Mooseheart does not do anything to help these families bring their children home, when in many cases this could be achieved. The stress of working at Mooseheart caused me to get a stress-induced disease, my hair to fall out, and I required months of counseling afterward to forget the trauma I suffered. I constantly felt attacked, like I wasn't good enough. I honestly don't know how I lasted so long, or how there are so many positive reviews about working there. It definitely takes a special person to stay there long-term, but unfortunately those special people are so brainwashed that they don't realize what they are doing to these children.

Advice to Management

Study up and become trauma-informed. Hang on every word Karen Purvis ever spoke about working with foster and adopted children, because they have a lot of the same issues as the Mooseheart kids. Stop encouraging the kids to hug Moose members when Family Teachers, who you know and trust, are not allowed. This sends a very mixed message to children. Show your Family Teachers a little more respect. They do so much and are not treated like adults, they are treated like the kids they are there to work with.

5. "Nice experience"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

Pros

The most personal satisfaction by helping children

Cons

No personal life it's a 24 hr job a day 5 days a week

6. "Easy enough job"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Big Rock, IL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Big Rock, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for retired folks or someone just looking to pick up a few more shifts for extra cash. Job mostly consists of sitting in Gatehouse allowing authorized people to enter and also responding to calls (such as unlocking houses/buildings for people to enter, or responding to alarms). Possible to get 401k.

Cons

Zero advancement opportunity. Not acknowledged much by the big shots of the association. Impossible to get full-time hours (can cover for co-workers for extra hours, but bosses don't like it)

"Be warned."

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free housing, food and utilities. Great preparation for future employment.

Cons

I worked at Mooseheart for more than 5 years so my review is quite well versed in reality and not simply a knee jerk reaction or because of an emotional breakdown. I have had many successful jobs in my career and done pretty well. I have never seen an organization treat their employees with a wide range of difference as the management at Mooseheart. If they like you, they treat you like royalty and support you to no end. If they do not like you, they treat you like garbage and do all they can to get you to leave without being upfront and ethical. The majority of management are men so it has created a culture much that of a country club or "good ole boys" club. Stay as far away from this place as possible. It will eat your life and soul.

Advice to Management

Quit.

8. "GREAT EXPERIENCE! GREAT FOR KIDS! HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do great work with kids. Kids are first priority.
    Mooseheart has very well trained Family Teachers because Mooseheart understands they are the care givers for kids.
    Mooseheart wants all of their kids to be safe. MH has many checks and balances to make sure kids are safe.
    Many great people work at MH. All care about kids. Many great Administrators and Family Teachers.

Cons

Many Family Teachers don't run the Model of Care so it makes good Family Teachers who use the Model look bad.
    Many Family Teachers are there for themselves and what Mooseheart can give them. They are not worried about the kids.
    Mooseheart does not get rid of Family Teachers quick enough when they don't do their job. Give poor Family Teachers too many chances and there are many of them not doing their job.
    The kids are sometimes really difficult.
    Many Family Teachers feel beat up because Mooseheart expects a lot from them. Family Teachers don't understand it has to be this way. COME ON!!! YOU ARE WORKING KIDS and Mooseheart has guidelines to follow.

Advice to Management

Help Family Teachers learn the Model instead of always giving feedback. Many of the Administrators are well respected because they have many years experience in working with kids. Use your experience to help Family Teachers. I had a good experience and the Administration was always pleasant and helpful. But, I did my job. Unlike many other Family Teachers.

9. "It's not for everyone"

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mooseheart is about schedules, consistency, and the kids. It is nice to work at a place that really does put the kids first. Everything that happens here is for the benifit of the kids. We don't always get it right but we certainly give it our all.

Living on campus with room and board is also nice. You get 9 days off a month and floating holidays. You get plenty of personal and vacation days. You make your own schedule with your coworker.

Cons

This is a hard job. Period. You can not slack. You can not get away with not doing your job. You will get feedback constantly and you will not agree with it 100% of the time. You will struggle and cry. You will want to quit multiple times a year. You will have to suck it up and fight to stay here. You will have to put blood, sweat, and tears into raising these children as they may rarley thank you and often swear at you. And you will be shocked at the amount of joy you feel when a child you work with finally learns how to tie their shoes; or a middle schooler listens to you without rolling their eyes; or a high school student gets accepted to collage.

This job is not for everyone. It is for intelligent, competent, adaptable people whom know how to take care of themselves and whom have enough drive, patience, and love to raise children with difficult lives.

"With some changes, could be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are the reason my husband and I enjoyed being there, and they are what made it difficult to leave. It's a beautiful campus.

Cons

The administration there seem disconnected from the Family Teachers and kids. They are concerned with Mooseheart's image to Moose lodge members and also data, not the quality of life for the children and staff. The schedule is pretty tough, only 48 hours off per week.

Advice to Management

Do what's truly best for kids- individualize care; if something sets kids off, adapt the model so they can be successful. Things don't need to be so rule-focused. I always felt that administration tried to make staff and kids like robots.

"Not worth the so called "benefits.""

Current Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are amazing. They are all so unique and it would be great to have a chance to help them.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of live-in family teachers. Very few hired staff stay longer than six months. I have been here a lot longer than I should have been but with no free time I can't work on finding other jobs. No room for professional growth. Administration treats the family teachers the same way they expect the family teachers to treat the kids. Staff are guilty until proven innocent in all situations. There is no support.

Advice to Management

You need to rethink the way you run this place and treat your staff if you want there to be any staff left. Mr. Urwiler keeps preaching "family teacher retention" but nothing has changed since he took over.