Mooseheart Child City & School Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Scott Hart

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Community unlike any other"

Former Employee - Family Teacher
    Former Employee - Family Teacher

Pros

Great community, supportive administration, the opportunity to develop relationships with wonderful kids, and many opportunities to learn and grow professionally. It is definitely an investment and requires some personal sacrifice, but it is well worth it!

Cons

High expectations and heavy workload (but manageable with dedication, teamwork, and good time management), sometimes a disconnect between school and residential staff concerning needs of children, have to be able and willing to work in sometimes high-stress situations while maintaining patience and a level head.

2. "Rewarding but walking on eggshells"

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time

Pros

Rewarding work, Housing and most utilities included, You have some input in schedule. Working with kids and making a difference, with many opportunities to form some lasting and powerful relationships. There is a lot too learn and will develope some great skills. Large enough campus to feel like a real community

Cons

Management believe kids don't lie, Most support is defined by "Use the Program" instead of discussing and solving the problem. Feels like you are always judged and under investigation, not trusted. Living where you work makes it difficult to balance work/life. Program is donor funded, so rules changes when donors on site.

Advice to Management

Learn to adapt your program, have a more open management team and be more supportive of staff. Remember that kids lie.

3. "Job caused mental health breakdown"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are awesome, I had a blast working with them and going on adventures. You are given a recreation budget to take the kids out.

Cons

Being a live-in Family Teacher is definitely a lifestyle change and huge commitment. Unfortunately, there is no room for growth, and your sanity is at risk. I worked at Mooseheart for 2.5 years and loved my kids. I would have done anything for them, but Mooseheart does not allow you to care about the children. Mooseheart treats these children like "normal" children. They are not. They have been taken out of their family and home, and thus are traumatized. They need to be treated with clinical, trauma-based care. They need love, affection, and hugs, which are not permitted. The concept of "discipline before love" is ruining these children. They are very attention-seeking and it needs to be handled with more sensitivity. The high school girls all end up pregnant after Mooseheart because they are not allowed or taught appropriate social skills with the boys, and they are so hungry for someone to make them feel special. The kids end up homeless after they age out of Mooseheart, if they are unable to return to their families. Mooseheart does not do anything to help these families bring their children home, when in many cases this could be achieved. The stress of working at Mooseheart caused me to get a stress-induced disease, my hair to fall out, and I required months of counseling afterward to forget the trauma I suffered. I constantly felt attacked, like I wasn't good enough. I honestly don't know how I lasted so long, or how there are so many positive reviews about working there. It definitely takes a special person to stay there long-term, but unfortunately those special people are so brainwashed that they don't realize what they are doing to these children.

Advice to Management

Study up and become trauma-informed. Hang on every word Karen Purvis ever spoke about working with foster and adopted children, because they have a lot of the same issues as the Mooseheart kids. Stop encouraging the kids to hug Moose members when Family Teachers, who you know and trust, are not allowed. This sends a very mixed message to children. Show your Family Teachers a little more respect. They do so much and are not treated like adults, they are treated like the kids they are there to work with.

4. "You'll never be treated worse as an employee."

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time

Pros

Housing and some food budget provided (only the meals that the kids are physically eating with you, anything else you pay for even if you're on duty).
    The kids are amazing and fun to work with.

Cons

Most weeks you will work at least seventy hours over the course of five days, thus is not counting time the kids are at school or asleep. These are times when you are on call or gong to trainings and meetings.

Administration is like a club, you could be the best worker in the whole place but if you arent one of the cool kids you WILL NOT be considered for any promotions.

Administration is extremely rude and dissrespectful of your needs. O had a child break my nose and was layed up for two weeks on heavy pain meds. They told me two days in that if ididnt come back to work I would face disciplinary action even though i had a doctors note.

Since you dont sign a contract with them when you are hired you have no employee rights. None. If you try to state that they have violated there own policies they will tell you just that you have no rights.

I stayed as long as i could for the kids. But this is not a good place to work. Run while you still can.

5. "It's a calling"

Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Educator in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family over business. Purpose is VERY clear. Ample opportunities to build MASTERY.

Cons

Pay and AUTONOMY. It is a non-for-profit so pay is tight, but fair considedring...DCFS rules don't allow for much flexibility.

6. "Nice experience"

Former Employee - Family Teacher in Mooseheart, IL

Pros

The most personal satisfaction by helping children

Cons

No personal life it's a 24 hr job a day 5 days a week

7. "Easy enough job"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Big Rock, IL
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Big Rock, IL

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for retired folks or someone just looking to pick up a few more shifts for extra cash. Job mostly consists of sitting in Gatehouse allowing authorized people to enter and also responding to calls (such as unlocking houses/buildings for people to enter, or responding to alarms). Possible to get 401k.

Cons

Zero advancement opportunity. Not acknowledged much by the big shots of the association. Impossible to get full-time hours (can cover for co-workers for extra hours, but bosses don't like it)

8. "Summer recreation staff"

I worked at Mooseheart Child City & School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Consistent hours for a summer job
    - Supervisors were very helpful
    - Good training
    - Point system made it easy to discipline/reward children

Cons

Nothing really, a good, consistent, summer job that teaches you a lot

9. "The hardest job you'd love to have!"

Pros

Working at Mooseheart allows families or single people to help at risk youth have a better future. The benefits at Mooseheart include free room and board, generous time off and decent pay (especially when you take out rent payments). The whole organization relies heavily on feedback. This can be both a pro and con but shows that everyone is trying to improve at their jobs.

Cons

Working at Mooseheart is a complete lifestyle change. When coming to Mooseheart it is really a challenge to balance your work life and your personal life. Often when becoming friends with other Mooseheart employees, you find yourself talking work all of the time!
    There are also many hard days. Sometimes it takes a really long time to see "results" from your work and, if you don't celebrate the small things, it gets defeating.

Advice to Management

Keep implementing feedback to keep making life at Mooseheart better!

10. "Family Teacher"

Current Employee - Family Teacher
    Current Employee - Family Teacher

I have been working at Mooseheart Child City & School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have served children for many years, and in many different capacities. But, it wasn't until Mooseheart that I felt completely fulfilled and rewarded on a daily basis for all of the hard work I do. This organization, this mission, is absolutely where I belong. All of the administrators I have encountered here have a true vision for excellence for these kids and, together we are turning lives around. I see it all the time. I have countless success stories with the children I have worked with. Living with these kids, in this supportive community, is a true gift and has enriched my life beyond what I could ever type here. Another aspect of this organization that I love is the Moose members, who are so benevolent and shower our kids with love, attention, and gifts whenever they visit. Their tireless personal sacrifices at their lodges make this place possible, and it is such a beautiful thing to get to see this kind of benevolent dynamic in action.

Cons

Working here means long days, and leaves me with a little less time with my non-Mooseheart friends and family, but you can make that work with the time off they give you. The up side to that is you gain an "extended family" here, with the kids, the many like-minded co-workers and supervisors, and with upper administration. This job is definitely hard, I am not going to lie. But, there is built in support with your immediate supervisor, and a TON of training. And, the way I see it, helping youth from disadvantaged backgrounds to turn their lives around is no small task, and anything of this magnitude is going to be tough -- but if tough work is what it takes, well then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. The difference between this place and others I've worked for is, (because you work hard anywhere you work with kids), here you actually get to see all of your hard work pay off on a daily basis. Some people complain on this site, but I would venture to say that's because they didn't want to put in the extra work that ensures Mooseheart's high standards are upheld. And, they DO expect a lot from you, and you better deliver -- it's just expected. But, if you child were here, wouldn't you want that? And, if you want the best for these kids lives, you really don't mind putting in that extra effort. I am proud to be associated with an organization with such high standards. These kids are very well taken care of here, and I am a very important part of that process.

Advice to Management

Hold onto your high standards. While some people may complain about it, in the end the kids deserve that level of care, and you only want people working here with them that are unselfishly willing to deliver it anyway. I have stayed here because of the high standards you enforce, and I have learned and grown so much in both my personal and professional life. Thank you for giving me this awesome opportunity to enrich my life in so many ways!