Moosejaw Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Moosemart"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Moosejaw part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Really fun place to work at, and co-workers are awesome. They make up for the terrible pay by giving us a good amount of free swag.

Cons

The pay sucks. The facility needs updating and general maintenance really bad...seems like the bathrooms are broken every week, and the custodial staff does not do a great job at all. The heating and cooling regulation also sucks.

Advice to Management

Stop treating corporate employees so much better than the warehouse or customer service employees. It often feels like we are just an afterthought to management, and we get left out of a lot of things.

2. "Very Fun, enjoyable experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in East Lansing, MI

Pros

I work in one of the shops and it is very different than most retail. Moosejaw really pushes fun. The managers are always ensuring their employees are having a good time. Fun people, exciting atmosphere.

Cons

Again, Pay. Its retail so dont expect to make a whole lot. It is subsidized by the excellent deals (and sometimes free) we get on gear.

3. "Cool place with cool people"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Moosejaw full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work.
    No dress code.
    Fast-paced environment especially at peak.
    Management is nice. They don't micromanage or breathe down your neck unless you are not doing any work.
    Company events and parties are fun.
    The people are really cool here.
    Lots of younger people work here, mostly made up of people in their 20's.
    Free food on some days.
    Beer Fridays.
    Big warehouse to walk around in.

It is work so don't expect it to be all fun. If you are a hard worker, management will notice and will recognize you and pretty much fight for you to work in their department. If you goof off and just barely do any work you will not last long here. So I advise you to get on managements good side and you will absolutely love working here.

Cons

Pay is always going to be an issue, it's not as much as people would like.
    When we are busy, WE ARE BUSY. So be prepared to be on your feet all day running around the warehouse.
    The warehouse is a sauna in the summer and a freezer in the winter so dress accordingly. I'm not kidding, it is brutal during the summer back here.
    If you get on managements bad side, I feel sorry for you. Avoid this at all costs.
    The bathrooms are horrible
    You pretty much get thrown into jobs when you first start with little training, so I hope you are a fast learner!
    Lots of different personalities back here, some you get along with, some you don't.
    Not much room to move up.

Advice to Management

You could do a little better job with training people, took me a while to learn what I was doing with little help from management.

"Ummmm, NO!"

Former Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly staff is great! It really is....free food once in awhile, some fun games played, but that is all the positive.

Cons

PAY IS AWFUL!!!!!! HOURS ARE AWFUL!!!!!! You can work lots during "peak time" then its down to 10-12 hours a week at $9 an hour!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! Who can live on that??? They use those fun games as a supplement for pay/benefits...the madness they claim to love, is all fake, its to make you feel like they care, when they dont, and the staff knows it! The CEO is so far separated from how the staff feels, business keeps going up, but pay does not.....

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with respect, that includes a livable wage, you have some great people in your employ, and have lost an amazing amount of great people because your pay scale is the WORST in the business, yet you want staff to "make customers love us" ....if you were anywhere near as concerned about how the staff feels, you would have less turnaround, and a happy staff in turn makes happy customers!! You do have some shining stars that get no recognition, and corporate office staff is treated completely different than CS and warehouse, just look at the weekly Friday meeting, one side is all smiley and laughing while the other side is grimacing and miserable...open your eyes, and change it, Moosejaw could be a great place to work!

5. "Marketing Analytics Specialis"

Former Employee - Marketing Analytics Specialist in Oak Park, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Analytics Specialist in Oak Park, MI

I worked at Moosejaw (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific place to work - fun, friendly atmosphere, great perks, smart, energetic co-workers.

Cons

Pay scale is "competitive" at best. Business is seasonal, so there are some real down times during the year, and if the good season doesn't play out well, it can get a little panic-y.

"Super Fun Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Position in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Position in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Moosejaw (Less than a year)

Pros

Always giving out free stuff and plan a lot of events for their employees

Cons

Really isnt anything bad about working here

Advice to Management

Hire less seasonal and make more people full time

"Great Place to work, great people"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Moosejaw part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and scheduling, great culture, fun working environment, strong training programs, opportunity for advancement and growth. The company has been consistently growing since 1992.

Cons

Some of the closing processes can be tedious, but its all to make the store look better for the next days customers. Entry level pay is relatively low.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Even at an entry level position the company culture is excellently communicated and shown throughout the working environment.

"Terrible Management with no direction"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Madison Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management seems quirky, friendly, and witty. What else ends in "y"?

Cons

The Pros are actually the Cons because it's all a facade.

Advice to Management

Keep a serious face internally (your office) and leave the pretend, silly talk on your website and catalogs. You're lying to yourselves and potential employees.

9. "Cool place to work with some caveats."

Former Employee - Warehouse Position in Madison Heights, MI

I worked at Moosejaw part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked a seasonal position in the warehouse.

You don't find many companies like this in the metro Detroit area. Actually one of the few places that won't treat you like crap. Managers are very relaxed and will work with you if there are any issues. The warehouse is vary diverse so pretty much anyone will fit in no matter what color, gender, sexual orientation, etc.. You can listen to music on headphones while you work. Sometimes we had nerf wars which were pretty fun. Sometimes there was free food. Overall, it was an easy, fun job. I can't comment on the corporate area since it's basically a separate part of the company that's in the same building. Last pro is that you will be working with some attractive people which is surprising in a warehouse.

Cons

The pay is just slightly above minimum wage. While it's an easy job you could make significantly more at UPS down the street if you don't mind a more labor intensive position and not as cool of a work place. Unfortunately the warehouse is somewhat separated from the corporate area so networking to get ahead isn't likely if you're looking for a corporate/business position. The music in the warehouse can get awful with a lot of people playing screamo which is often unbearable. The men's bathroom in the warehouse was real bad. It needs some serious remodeling. Also a lot of people didn't wash their hands and I got sick one week. The sales were a little lacking so there wasn't enough work near the end of the season. This was probably due to the lack of cold weather in late 2014. The supplies were often lacking. They were stingy with tape guns which I don't quite understand why since they're under $15 each.

10. "Private Equity ownership changed the Company for the worse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

They had a great, fun culture before the buyout. There was hard work, but it was appreciated, and we got to make nice bonuses when we exceeded our goals, which were realistic ones.

Cons

Now, they limit bonuses, and HR is a gatekeeper, shutting down employees who wish to question management or challenge processes in any way. This is frustrating as we felt more like worker bees whose input was not valued.