Moraine Valley Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sylvia M. Jenkins

1. "Entrance Attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, IL

I worked at Moraine Valley Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Great staff.

Cons

Some staff become unproductive when working with their friends.

2. "OK"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Nursing) in Palos Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty (Nursing) in Palos Heights, IL

I have been working at Moraine Valley Community College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff and students are nice. Students are eager to learn and are very respectful. Close to home. Evening classes are offered.

Cons

Faculty are overworked. Need to hire more of adjunct faculty to pick up some of the workload from full time faculty. Parking sucks!!

3. "Great!"

Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Blue Island, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor, College Or University in Blue Island, IL

I worked at Moraine Valley Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent communication, students, resources, and syllabus requirements are clear. Great students, very motivated.

Cons

None at this time-I enjoyed my experience and felt I was given great tools to do my job well.

Advice to Management

Continue doing the same thing, training teachers and giving them the tools they need to do well.

5. "Tutor"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Moraine Valley Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work as a part time. You can go to classes and between classes go to work, schedule are very flexible.

Cons

The management for tutoring department is very strick with the students that are looking for help making the students afraid of going to the room.

Advice to Management

Find other ways to promote the tutoring center. Sometimes the time per student is limited and they need to understand that not all the students understand in 20 min

6. "Tutor"

Current Employee - Para Professional Tutor in Alsip, IL
    Current Employee - Para Professional Tutor in Alsip, IL

I have been working at Moraine Valley Community College (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to work. The managers and supervisors are friendly and really care about you.

Cons

I can't think of anything wrong with this employer. It's a really good place to work.

7. "Culinary Department Student Aid"

Former Employee - Student Aide in Johnsburg, IL
    Former Employee - Student Aide in Johnsburg, IL

I worked at Moraine Valley Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours were flexible and could be scheduled around my classes and other work schedule.

Cons

A vehicle is required for this particular position because the instructors needed me to be able to make trips to the grocery store.

Advice to Management

There should be postings when the position becomes available. Knowledge of the position is largely word of mouth.

8. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Palos Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Palos Hills, IL

Pros

The environment is nice. The campus is in a great location, there is some energy around teaching and mentoring students. They pay is set by administration and is lower than other community colleges in the region. There is a separate union for adjunct faculty and they do their best to advocate for our benefits, working condition and salary.

Cons

Very difficult to get a position, need to be recommended by someone. Almost no opportunity to get a full time faculty position unless someone retires and you have an inside track. Almost no opportunity to respond to job postings because their is usually an inside track.

Advice to Management

Certainly higher education is a different culture and subject to different administrative rules. Try to look beyond the existing talent pool and bring in some fresh talent.

"Administrator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, IL

I have been working at Moraine Valley Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the environment are great. Many opportunities to help others and feel that you are contributing.

Cons

There is a lot to do and not enough time to do it all. Many responsibilities. Also can be quite difficult for advancement opportunities from within.

Advice to Management

Keep giving us your encouraging words and support. It is always appreciated!

10. "Business Services Specialist | Job Developer"

Current Employee - Business Services Specialist/Job Developer in Country Club Hills, IL

I have been working at Moraine Valley Community College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus. Most professionals make for wonderful lasting relationships.

Cons

No cons to report at the moment!

11. "Secretary"

Current Employee - Illinois in Palos Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Illinois in Palos Hills, IL

I have been working at Moraine Valley Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In certain jobs there's limited opportunities for advancement

Cons

Great Place to work. Diverse environment and family oriented. We call it "Happy Valley"