Morehead State University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Wayne D. Andrews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • When I started, 25 years ago, the campus was dedicated to the mission of improving lives in eastern Kentucky (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The location of the center is 3 miles off the interstate in a more rural location, an hour away from major cities (in 2 reviews)

• Continual budget cuts only serve to limit the services and programs that can be offered (in 2 reviews)

1. "Graduate Assistant"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant Coach in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant Coach in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learned a lot from coaching staff! One of the best up and coming coaching staffs in the nation. Thankful and blessed for the opportunity.

Cons

No Cons! Enjoyed every minute I was there!

Advice to Management

Hard work pays off! Keep working hard!

2. "Residence life"

Current Employee - Residence Hall Director in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Residence Hall Director in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful campus and friendly coworkers here. small town and rural area. people who care about one another.

Cons

tenuous employment; expected to work more hours than paid for

3. "Great People"

Current Employee - Nursing Department Office Aid in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Nursing Department Office Aid in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great people to work with.
    - Great communication when it comes to work assignments.
    - Very understanding when it comes to scheduling.

Cons

- Unrewarding work at times.
    - Long periods of sitting down bent over.
    - Messy filing system at times - working on that problem!

Advice to Management

Continue being kind to your employers. Stay the course in how you are managing now - working at the Nursing Department is great!

4. "Associate Professor"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A mission, based on its people, to provide the best education possible in a supportive environment.

Cons

Higher ed is not a top priority in the state at this point in time.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to efficiently educate students within the framework of available funds. This has been a strength. The administrative structure is getting top heavy which has created a morale problem at the faculty level

5. "Kentucky Folk Art Center"

Former Employee - Curator in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Curator in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff and environment. Always something new to discover.

Cons

The location of the center is 3 miles off the interstate in a more rural location, an hour away from major cities.

Advice to Management

Morehead State University

6. "STARved for talent"

Former Employee - Star in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Star in Morehead, KY

Pros

Great Experience, great pay, a CIO that seems to care about the state of our industry and providing quality work.

Cons

I would say that while long term investments have made it less of the great place it was in the current time frame, in the long run it will probably get better

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes open to good employees, don't let the solid interns that just want to learn work for free, I watched many of the most talented people walk in to their and then back out when they needed a basic job to pay the bills. While people with no idea what they are doing collected a paycheck just because they applied at the right time.

7. "Help Desk"

Former Employee - University Bookstore in Ironton, OH
    Former Employee - University Bookstore in Ironton, OH

I worked at Morehead State University (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Schedule, nice people to work with

Cons

None that I can mention

Advice to Management

None

8. "Poor management ruining this institution"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Morehead, KY
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Morehead, KY

I worked at Morehead State University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Morehead State has an excellent benefits package. Their health insurance, year to year, is excellent. Even in tough budget times the insurance package provided to professional employees (faculty/staff) is strong. Additionally, the time off given to employees is beyond generous. In addition to 30 days off a year, you get two weeks at Christmas off that DO NOT count against your vacation leave. I have never worked at another institution where that was the case. Employees who have never worked anywhere else have no idea how lucky they have it or how generous the time off they receive is.

Cons

Benefits aside, MSU has become a miserable place to work. Consistently incompetent decisions made at the executive level have crushed moral among faculty and staff. Sycophants who are better at self promotion than their jobs are consistently rewarded with higher level positions. Once promoted, the sycophants do all they can to stay in the good graces of the president or CFO and micromanage their underlings to the point where they cannot do their jobs effectively. Employees focused on doing their jobs and helping students are not rewarded. All this contributes to the morale issue. Executive level leadership knows that most of the employees at MSU are prisoners of their location, meaning they will not leave the area. So local people stay and are treated poorly by sycophant supervisors, enduring emotional abuse and low pay (all to keep the good benefits). Employees who are not prisoners of east Kentucky, if they stay more than two years, are tainted by the mismanagement of this place and find it hard to get jobs elsewhere. All this allows the executive leadership play games with people's salaries (i.e. hiring a person at one level, then reclassifying their position so they can never get a raise, or cutting their pay all together). Unless you are a brand new professional with little to no experience in your profession, do NOT take a job here. If you do, don't stay past two years or your career will be grievously injured.

Advice to Management

The president and CFO (as of 2016) should be fired. The consistently poor decisions at the top have destroyed employees' ability to serve students well. Sycophants with few skills keep in place antique systems, policies and services because they do not know how to improve them and will not let underlings (who often DO know how to improve them) do it. Or worse, they try to change things without understanding them and end up doing more harm that good. Only a change, from the assistant dean, or director level up to the president will be enough to end this.

9. "Decent. Worth the money."

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Morehead, KY
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Morehead, KY

I have been working at Morehead State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros to working at Morehead State University as a student are
    -Improved academic help
    -paltry pay, but great bonus pay (for being a student)

Cons

The cons in my experience:
    -Most of your work is not outlined clearly in your job description
    -Most work comes from unnecessary time fillers from management

Advice to Management

Give students some time to be students, there is no need to be so involved in our daily lives. We are in college by our own accord and have therefore shown personal incentive to better ourselves in ways we see fit, and should be expected to seek further help on our own accord as well.

10. "Phil Simms loves MSU and so do I! Go Eagles!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ormond Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ormond Beach, FL

I worked at Morehead State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work and study. Most everyone at executive levels truly want to make a difference for students, which is the real reason the University exists. In my opinion, it really seemed like the focus was on the future of the students and employees. I really felt as if I was regularly involved in trying to be a part of the problem solving efforts. I miss working there and my colleagues were some of the hardest working people on campus and I was proud to work alongside them. Miss my MSU family. Go Eagles!

Cons

Typical Governmental. Very hard to root out the people who simply want to collect a paycheck but not do anything to earn it. 20% of the people on the payroll are doing majority of the work which creates a huge work/life balance issue. The University was always worried about a lawsuit when it came to HR issues and it was sad that so much money was wasted on people that have no work ethic. Many naysayers who want to complain about the problems but do not want to be part of the solutions. Many people just wanted to politicize any efforts to make change in an attempt to combat all the budget cuts imposed upon the institution by state government. If they would have only just tried to implement the solutions offered by the president and the cabinet, many of the obstacles may have been overcome. But they won't ever know because they wouldn't even try...the student's are the ultimate losers in that stalemate. Also, I think the president is worn down. He's looking toward retirement and wants to leave a legacy which is preventing him from reducing employment numbers even though the benefits piece of the budget is the most crippling. I wouldn't want to be the ax slinger either, so I sympathize, but the University is heading into survival mode from a budget standpoint, so if you can't cut it, then it's time to leave.

Advice to Management

Don't give up. Continue to brainstorm and think outside the box and don't stop trying. Always have a Plan B and don't be so afraid of a lawsuit. Clean up the departmental dead weight that has become prevalent and a huge obstacle for success. Make the tough decisions. I realize it's a hard job market, but if the region and the times require change that translates to eliminating some programs/employees, then there is another institution out there that could use those people. Somehow, utilize the HR team and the Career Services Center to help relocate those employees or move them to another focus within MSU. Adapt and change and become better.