Morehouse School of Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Morehouse School of Medicine President & Dean Valerie Montgomery Rice
Valerie Montgomery Rice

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great supervisor, decent vacation time, work life balance is great" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great place to grow professionally" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No annual salary increment, and slow promotional opportunities" (in 4 reviews)

• "There aren't any cons to working at a great place like MSM" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Institution"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow professionally.

Cons

There are no downsides to working here, but they are transitioning into a shared services model, which might not be a fit for everyone's workstyle.

Advice to Management

Open door policies aren't written; they are practiced!

2. "Program Coordinator"

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine (More than a year)

Pros

I don’t even know anymore.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional ambiance from top leadership to department chairs to several unqualified people in management/leadership positions.

Very little accountability when processes stall or quite frankly go wrong.

Misuse of money/grants funds.

Hazing culture (granted several employees are heavily recruited from HBCUs and are members of black greek letter organizations. )

Limited access to professional development.

3. "Amazing Institution, Challenging (In All the Wrong Ways) Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is a strong personal/familial environment within departments (less so across the institution/inter-departmentally) that contributes to the camaraderie necessary for great teamwork and shared mental models. Most staff and faculty are truly dedicated to the institution's mission and this mission is communicated often by institutional leadership. There is definitely a feeling of being part of "something bigger" than yourself given that MSM is one of very few HBCU's that educates and trains a large number of black/brown physicians.

Cons

There is a major lack of standardized processes and operating procedures that makes daily workflow feel very chaotic, unproductive, and stressful. Training opportunities for staff and for managers in particular is spotty, which adds to the feeling of disorganized chaos. Feedback is not provided by direct supervisors often enough, again probably due to a lack of standard operating procedures to compare your performance to. Follow up with process improvement does not occur, so the concept of "continuous" improvement is not achieved.

Advice to Management

Institutional leadership needs to understand and appreciate the value each of its employees brings to their respective areas by enhancing compensation and providing better professional development. A lot of time is wasted daily trying to figure out how to get things done that at this point should operate like clockwork.

4. "Analyst"

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time

Pros

Educational environment. Nothing else is good. That is all.

Cons

High cost for employee parking. Micromanagement. Supervisors could care less about the work

5. "Program Manager"

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time

Pros

Great supervisor, decent vacation time, work life balance is great

Cons

No annual salary increment, and slow promotional opportunities

6. "look else where"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

nice stepping stone for career goals

Cons

no advancement
    entitled staff faculty and students

Advice to Management

work on pleasing more than just the students. employees are leaving left and right

7. "Disgustingly unprofessional"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kind of nice place to be while looking for a better option. Sometimes they help the community

Cons

Lowest salary in the area. Unprofessional management and directives.
    If you are not African American you will feel you don't belong in every event.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and they won't be leaving all the time

8. "Medical Records"

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time

Pros

I don't have any pros for this employer

Cons

Salary to low and some unprofessional

"Not a place for serious candidates"

I have been working at Morehouse School of Medicine part-time

Pros

No one ever gets fired. For some people that is a great thing.

Cons

Great place to work if you are looking for a place where no one respects one another's time and efforts and you enjoy sending emails that are ignored for weeks. They will work you to death and throw the absolute minimum annual salary adjustments to you, no matter how good the year was financially.

10. "Suspicious"

I worked at Morehouse School of Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A pro for me when I began was the work life balance and the sense of professionalism but that no longer exist. Now I can say the pro is the mission...hopefully this shall not change.

Cons

I can go on and on and on for days about how I believe this place is going downhill, failing its employees, unorganized, incompetent and flat out hopeless but I don't have that kind of time. But I will say this, anytime one does not feel like they can speak with the human resources department (the safe place) about what they are experiencing in fear of being outed or chastised it a major problem. There is no such thing as confidential when it comes to these people. THEY ARE NOT TRUSTWORTHY!! It appears as thou EVERYBODY is friends with somebody in HR so nothing is private. I don't doubt that this is ONE OF THE REASONS why this place is how it is...no one can go to HR in confidence without fearing they will be the next target. It is absurd! Then the turnover...that warrants another review.

Advice to Management

I honestly believe in the mission of this institution. But if some major changes in upper management does not start immediately, this place will never move forward. Yes there has been some progression but that is nothing compared to where you could (or should) be in 2018. It is just disappointing and disheartening to know that this great institution is functioning the way it is currently. Please get a strong grip on the financial situation, get unqualified people out of high level positions because they are faking it until they make it (), and value the low level people for the skills and hard work that they bring to the table. Also, invest in the development of the staff. The institution will not function with faculty/physicians alone.