Morgan Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Morgan Hunt Managing Director Dan Taylor
Dan Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 30 which improves the work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Also the new working hours are a dream within the recruitment work - so nice to have flexibility - early finishes and casual Fridays (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The commission structure changed for the worse - obviously to compensate the high rent costs for such an amazing office (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of respect from senior management (in 6 reviews)

1. "weak business with a big name"

I worked at Morgan Hunt (More than a year)

Pros

Invested in shiny offices
    reduced working hours 8.30-5.00
    Good sales pitch of a great working environment
    sells a good dream

Cons

Management and Senior management team, hand picked by Directors favourites and not from merit.
    Good sales pitch of working environment, not reflective of reality deathly quiet office
    poor comms structure, they say its transparent however works out 6% once you hit the 6k threshold not what I was told
    inappropriate directors and managers, who only listen if it fits their idea's (not an open line of comms)
    Some directors lead by fear still in this day and age
    Recent high turnover of 5-10 years service staff, most leaving with no job says a lot for wanting to leave this place
    offices loosing whole management teams
    unhelpful support services staff
    not the place I thought it would be

Advice to Management

look closely at the leadership team, are they really the best people for the job? This shouldn't be linked to time serviced alone
    treat your staff with some level of mutual respect and you will get it back
    have a company strategy and tell people what this is

May 26, 2017 – Marketing Director

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage open and transparent communication with our employees, past and present – whether that be positive or unfavourable, we take it all on board. We believe... More

2. "Avoid"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Morgan Hunt as an intern

Pros

There are no pros in working with this company as an intermediary.

Cons

The consultants are a joke. They constantly lie and have a downmarket reputation as far as clients are concerned. Embarrassing to work with.

Advice to Management

Hire intelligent professional people. As a business try integrity as an option.

Apr 26, 2017 – Marketing Director

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage open and transparent communication with our employees, past and present – whether that be positive or unfavourable, we take it all on board. When reviews are... More

"Honest Review"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morgan Hunt actually used to be a great company to work for! There was a buzz about the office, people were supportive and encouraging, the opportunity to succeed was achievable. However, things started to change...see below;

Cons

The company started to miss budget, the ridiculous KPI's were introduced, the incentives started to disappear, morale was poor and amazing consultants left the business. Big characters started to leave and instead of dealing with this in a professional manner, the company had the 'We don't need them' sort of attitude. This is obviously not the case if you look at the facts i.e year on year company billings and staff retention. Instead of looking into the real reasons as to why the company was losing (and still is) good staff, they continue to live in the delusional world of the Morgan Hunt way is the best and on this journey brain wash their staff. I miss the old Morgan Hunt, not the 'You're not allowed to voice your opinion' Morgan Hunt.

Advice to Management

Don't bury your head in the sand and maybe issue a survey to your current staff as this wave of resignations won't stop here - go back to basics as it was a great place to work once upon a time!

"Senior leadership team needs to be drastically changed"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I originally started working at Morgan Hunt I honestly loved the company, the KPI's were drilled into all consultants, we worked long hours but we enjoyed it. It was very much a work hard play hard culture.

Cons

The company has become a popularity contest, if you are in favour with the right people it seems you will get whatever you want (promotions, pay outside of pay bands etc) and this is not based on merit or hard work.

The vibe of the company changed a lot when we moved to London Wall, you can feel that nobody is particularly happy anymore, and the leadership of the business has become far too hands off.

I had used the referral scheme several times in the past, however would actively deter friends from looking into the business now. A shame, the damage is probably now beyond repair and it would need a huge change in the senior leadership team to make a positive change.

"Senior Rec Con"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Amazing office
    - Friendly, fun people (most of them)

Cons

Where do I begin...

Morgan Hunt used to be an amazing place to work back in Old Bailey. Good vibes, sales buzz, bells ringing and amazing people. I never dreamed of leaving the business back then.

Then we moved to 125 London Wall. The commission structure changed for the worse - obviously to compensate the high rent costs for such an amazing office. (Seriously, you bill £10k and get paid £400 in commission, did you expect to retain your staff??) The 20% year on year growth which gets drilled into everyone, the unreachable budgets getting set, the KPI hammer started and sales staff getting treated like machines all began. Week by week, we would lose influential and solid members of staff. October 2015 - we had 30 people leave. FACT.

Yes, staff turnover is generally expected to be high in Recruitment firms but to lose high-performing consultants on a weekly basis is quite frankly unacceptable.

These people were replaced by rookies as we are unable to attract strong talent in the market due to our commission structure and poor basic salaries.

Let's talk about staff development and promotions. The L&D team or the lack of is a joke. How you can call your training programme unique and one of the best in the market is seriously beyond belief. Promotions only happen once per quarter and every time that happens, serious question marks hang over WHY is this person being promoted? (A good example - someone enters the business at a senior level, soon after has near 80% staff turnover across that division and is promoted to interim MD) HOW?

I could go on and on but the fact is, I used to genuinely love Morgan Hunt. I would proactively try and get my friends to join.
    But now, I wouldn't even recommend them to anyone.

Advice to Management

Recruitment is a sales business. Why are Senior Managers and Directors sat there twiddling their thumbs on a daily basis? You don't generate business, you don't bill, you don't lead from the front and you're out of touch with the market. How can you possibly lead your teams to success? You should be leading from the front which starts with actually showing your staff that you're a capable Recruiter in the first place, bringing in business, growing the brand etc.

"Its all pretence"

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time

Pros

The consultants know how to have a good time outside of work

Cons

When I originally joined the company, Morgan Hunt was the best agency that I had worked for by far! However as time went on, my opinion unfortunately changed for the worse. Unfortunately there are double standards for certain consultants, if you were the top biller on your team management would allow you to get away with murder. There were quite a few instances of passive bullying, racism, sexism, gossiping and the list goes on.

My manager did not support me, and then he expected me to pull results out of thin air. He was also very quick to pass the blame directly on to me when anything went wrong.

Morgan Hunt have changed for the worst and because of this they are losing some of their best consultants! I was absolutely amused when they won the best agency to work for award because I kid you not, underneath it all it's a depressing and 'clicky' recruitment agency to work for. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your consultants, work with them and not against them. You'd benefit more from doing this rather than bullying them out of the company!

"A catalogue of errors."

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Really nice office
    - Fruit, I guess?

Cons

Where to start...

- Ridiculously top heavy in management - So much power struggling and managers begging to be noticed over one another by the SMT.

- The culture is massively favorite orientated. Consultants generally won't get promoted unless they're best mates with management (which probably explains the first con) regardless of billings, market knowledge or relationships.

- Poor, poor, poor employee engagement. The vast majority of the CS division has either gone/is going, and there is little incentive to stay. Salaries are below market average, commission is pitiful and majority of new staff are just out of school - turning what was a professional office environment into a playground with elevator chat you'd expect to hear on facebook or at the back of a bus.

- Senior management are beyond unprofessional, and will openly tear into members of staff to their colleagues within earshot. One particular director seems to make this her mission on the floor, and due to her new-found seniority, there's not a lot you can do.

- The constant reminder that MH won an award for the best company to work for - besides consultants leaving left right and center. If you're staff are flying out the door - it's probably not worth the paper it's written on.

- So many terrible managers, it's almost unfathomable. It's no wonder that teams generally aren't hitting company targets. But then, it's also no wonder they stick around when you promote staff purely because they've been there for decades.

- Incentives are vanishing - summer party was cancelled this year. The cost-cutting exercises for the sake of a big office are really impacting on how nice a company this is to work for.

- Work hours are 8.15 - 6.30. But by that they mean be at your desk at 8 or expect to be taken a side for a chat about your commitment to the company.

Advice to Management

Take a step back - look at the organisation through the eyes of your staff, and fix what isn't just broken, but smashed and ground down into a battered husk of what Morgan Hunt once was.

8. "Recruitment consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

A nice, modern office to work in. Staff are quite young and is generally a good environment with the exception of a few snobby managers

Cons

A lot of over paid staff who under perform and the people who are performing better then expected do not get the finicial recognition they deserve.

Advice to Management

Achieving a £4 million target for a poxy night out drinking cheap bottled beer is not an appealing incentive.

"Review for Morgan Hunt from a consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt (More than a year)

Pros

* good training
    * friendly team atmosphere at times
    * good name to get on CV before you leave

Cons

* 20 minute lunch break
    * very KPI focused
    *staff like to micromanage you even if you are billing
    *poor commission structure- i once billed 20k and took home 400 pound
    *The management is pretty poor, people back chat about each other on desk
    *you are treated like a child and you have constant pressure put on you
    *there is no team atmosphere or culture its quite simply boring, no good nights out and they are very tight fisted with their staff spend
    *NOTHING IS PRIVATE- DONT EVER CONFIDE IN ANYONE AS YOUR PRIVATE LIFE WILL BE EXPOSED TO THE WHOLE OFFICE!
    *there is no progression in terms of salary you will be stuck on the same salary you started for atleast 4-5 years
    * consultants are on around 20-24k even after 2-3 years in the company which is why people leave

Advice to Management

*listen to your consultants more
    *stop back chatting on desk about other consultants its not fair and can make people feel uncomfortable
    *dont expose peoples secrets
    *treat staff how you would like to be treated

10. "KPI driven unprofessional environment and immature consultants. Not proud to say i work here."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really scraping around for things here.. Free fruit on a Tuesday, nice new offices. That's really as positive as it gets. Maybe if you enjoy the buzz of ripping off the tax man and other public sector bodies this is for you?

Cons

Ridiculously high turnover of staff, been here two years and no one from my initial training is still here. Really KPI driven environment to to the point where 90% of staff make them up, if your in the honest 10% you get crucified for poor stats. Unprofessional environment not many sales people there, more a cv send environment than being consultative. Lots of favouritism towards a few employees and lack of direction from directors who on the whole you must ask what they do all day? Salary levels are below what other firms could offer.

Advice to Management

Move away from a Michael page esk KPI culture, engage with consultants from other less established desks to find out their difficulties to move the business forward. Maybe realise that working on the private sector is completely different to the established pub sector and treat it as such?

Jan 6, 2016 – Marketing Director

We’re saddened to hear that as a current Morgan Hunt employee you are not proud to work here. We would very much encourage you to speak to your line manager to raise any worries you might have in... More