Morgan Hunt Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Morgan Hunt Managing Director Dan Taylor
Dan Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 30 which improves the work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Also the new working hours are a dream within the recruitment work - so nice to have flexibility - early finishes and casual Fridays (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The commission structure changed for the worse - obviously to compensate the high rent costs for such an amazing office (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of respect from senior management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Unfriendly, minimal training and long hours. Avoid"

Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Researcher in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job which if you are a recent grad is something. However there are so many companies which would offer far better stability and work life balance.

Cons

Long hours at least 8-6 every day.
    Bad pay £22
    Minimal training.
    Always told that one can start building your own desk but this never actually happens.
    Senior management very unfriendly had a proper conversation with one senior director once after three months. Considering its an office of 6 this is pretty unfriendly.
    Very unstable in 6 months they lost 5 people. Minimal work coming in from the few clients they rely on heavily.

Advice to Management

Get to know your junior employees. Broaden your client base it's clearly not working being so reliant.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Amazing buzz in the office
    Great location - right next to the old bailey!
    Drinks in Jamie's on a Thursday and Friday!

Cons

Terrible base salary and commission structure (20-22k base, commission is 10% of your personal billings after the 4k cap)
    Cliquey middle management - if you tell your manager something in confidence you can guarantee the whole office knows by 12pm.
    Claim to have a working together/ team work ethnic - nothing of the sort. If you are a top biller you are untouchable.
    Poor management of employee expectations ( will promise you the world with no clear route to achieving senior consultant).
    Poor training
    Extremely KPI driven (2 hours on the phone daily)
    Micromanaged - don't expect your manager to believe you when you have a doctors appointment (you must be interviewing else where).
    20 days holidays! (what a joke)
    hours 8-6 ( says 8.30 on the contract but if you arrive later than 8.02 you are deemed as "late"')
    minimal benefits - cycle to work scheme, 20 days holidays..
    High staff turnover - basically an old person after 2 months.

Advice to Management

sort out this chimpanzees tea party! Treat your staff better to reduce your high turn over!

"Managers are writing the good reviews"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Hunt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales pitch.when you interview is good but take it with a pinch of salt. Great offices

Cons

Managers and trusted staff are being told to write good reviews as they are worried about the pr. The truth is my director has never spoken to me and looks down her nose at consultants (unless you are one of her favorites). It is one rule for one and another for someone else depending on if you are in with the chosen few. Your call time is constantly monitored. They do not care about anything or body but money. I see people constantly in tears in the toilets. I am looking for a new job asap. The staff turnover is terrible
    terrible. They have a few long serving staff (who are aggorant and rude, and are the ones writing the 5 star reviews) but apart from that a constant flow of people you never see again replaced by new faces.

Advice to Management

Try acknowledging people that are not in your in circle.

"Started well, went down hill rapidly and has continued this way."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some great people here, unfortunately most have now moved on.
    Fruit Tuesdays, always nice to get some free fruit.
    Understanding managers, most of the time.

Cons

Heavily KPI driven
    Micro-managed
    Low basic salaries
    Poor comission structure
    Minimal holiday days (20 + Christmas closure)
    A frankly insulting benefits package, launched as "perks" e.g. spend £100 on an Argos store card and get 7% off
    High staff turnover, new faces each and every week, revolving door

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that work for you. A lot of people are very disgruntled with the direction the business is going in, morale is low, budgets aren't being hit and more consultants are leaving then ever before. The way that senior management has reacted to this is alarming, rather than engage with their employees and see what they need to do to get good people to stay, they've gone completely the opposite direction and put stricter KPI's in to try and push growth. Unless the business is brought in to the 21st century, I can't see them retaining good staff and bridging the gap from management to consultants.

Morgan Hunt Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Marketing Director

As a current Morgan Hunt employee, we’re disappointed that you feel this site is the only outlet to voice your concerns. We would very much encourage you to speak to your line manager to raise any... More

"KPI driven unprofessional environment and immature consultants. Not proud to say i work here."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Hunt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really scraping around for things here.. Free fruit on a Tuesday, nice new offices. That's really as positive as it gets. Maybe if you enjoy the buzz of ripping off the tax man and other public sector bodies this is for you?

Cons

Ridiculously high turnover of staff, been here two years and no one from my initial training is still here. Really KPI driven environment to to the point where 90% of staff make them up, if your in the honest 10% you get crucified for poor stats. Unprofessional environment not many sales people there, more a cv send environment than being consultative. Lots of favouritism towards a few employees and lack of direction from directors who on the whole you must ask what they do all day? Salary levels are below what other firms could offer.

Advice to Management

Move away from a Michael page esk KPI culture, engage with consultants from other less established desks to find out their difficulties to move the business forward. Maybe realise that working on the private sector is completely different to the established pub sector and treat it as such?

Morgan Hunt Response

Jan 6, 2016 – Marketing Director

We’re saddened to hear that as a current Morgan Hunt employee you are not proud to work here.

We would very much encourage you to speak to your line manager to raise any worries you might have in... More

"Review for Morgan Hunt from a consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morgan Hunt (More than a year)

Pros

* good training
    * friendly team atmosphere at times
    * good name to get on CV before you leave

Cons

* 20 minute lunch break
    * very KPI focused
    *staff like to micromanage you even if you are billing
    *poor commission structure- i once billed 20k and took home 400 pound
    *The management is pretty poor, people back chat about each other on desk
    *you are treated like a child and you have constant pressure put on you
    *there is no team atmosphere or culture its quite simply boring, no good nights out and they are very tight fisted with their staff spend
    *NOTHING IS PRIVATE- DONT EVER CONFIDE IN ANYONE AS YOUR PRIVATE LIFE WILL BE EXPOSED TO THE WHOLE OFFICE!
    *there is no progression in terms of salary you will be stuck on the same salary you started for atleast 4-5 years
    * consultants are on around 20-24k even after 2-3 years in the company which is why people leave

Advice to Management

*listen to your consultants more
    *stop back chatting on desk about other consultants its not fair and can make people feel uncomfortable
    *dont expose peoples secrets
    *treat staff how you would like to be treated

"Recruitment consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

A nice, modern office to work in. Staff are quite young and is generally a good environment with the exception of a few snobby managers

Cons

A lot of over paid staff who under perform and the people who are performing better then expected do not get the finicial recognition they deserve.

Advice to Management

Achieving a £4 million target for a poxy night out drinking cheap bottled beer is not an appealing incentive.

"A catalogue of errors."

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Really nice office
    - Fruit, I guess?

Cons

Where to start...

- Ridiculously top heavy in management - So much power struggling and managers begging to be noticed over one another by the SMT.

- The culture is massively favorite orientated. Consultants generally won't get promoted unless they're best mates with management (which probably explains the first con) regardless of billings, market knowledge or relationships.

- Poor, poor, poor employee engagement. The vast majority of the CS division has either gone/is going, and there is little incentive to stay. Salaries are below market average, commission is pitiful and majority of new staff are just out of school - turning what was a professional office environment into a playground with elevator chat you'd expect to hear on facebook or at the back of a bus.

- Senior management are beyond unprofessional, and will openly tear into members of staff to their colleagues within earshot. One particular director seems to make this her mission on the floor, and due to her new-found seniority, there's not a lot you can do.

- The constant reminder that MH won an award for the best company to work for - besides consultants leaving left right and center. If you're staff are flying out the door - it's probably not worth the paper it's written on.

- So many terrible managers, it's almost unfathomable. It's no wonder that teams generally aren't hitting company targets. But then, it's also no wonder they stick around when you promote staff purely because they've been there for decades.

- Incentives are vanishing - summer party was cancelled this year. The cost-cutting exercises for the sake of a big office are really impacting on how nice a company this is to work for.

- Work hours are 8.15 - 6.30. But by that they mean be at your desk at 8 or expect to be taken a side for a chat about your commitment to the company.

Advice to Management

Take a step back - look at the organisation through the eyes of your staff, and fix what isn't just broken, but smashed and ground down into a battered husk of what Morgan Hunt once was.

"Its all pretence"

I worked at Morgan Hunt full-time

Pros

The consultants know how to have a good time outside of work

Cons

When I originally joined the company, Morgan Hunt was the best agency that I had worked for by far! However as time went on, my opinion unfortunately changed for the worse. Unfortunately there are double standards for certain consultants, if you were the top biller on your team management would allow you to get away with murder. There were quite a few instances of passive bullying, racism, sexism, gossiping and the list goes on.

My manager did not support me, and then he expected me to pull results out of thin air. He was also very quick to pass the blame directly on to me when anything went wrong.

Morgan Hunt have changed for the worst and because of this they are losing some of their best consultants! I was absolutely amused when they won the best agency to work for award because I kid you not, underneath it all it's a depressing and 'clicky' recruitment agency to work for. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your consultants, work with them and not against them. You'd benefit more from doing this rather than bullying them out of the company!

"Senior Rec Con"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Amazing office
    - Friendly, fun people (most of them)

Cons

Where do I begin...

Morgan Hunt used to be an amazing place to work back in Old Bailey. Good vibes, sales buzz, bells ringing and amazing people. I never dreamed of leaving the business back then.

Then we moved to 125 London Wall. The commission structure changed for the worse - obviously to compensate the high rent costs for such an amazing office. (Seriously, you bill £10k and get paid £400 in commission, did you expect to retain your staff??) The 20% year on year growth which gets drilled into everyone, the unreachable budgets getting set, the KPI hammer started and sales staff getting treated like machines all began. Week by week, we would lose influential and solid members of staff. October 2015 - we had 30 people leave. FACT.

Yes, staff turnover is generally expected to be high in Recruitment firms but to lose high-performing consultants on a weekly basis is quite frankly unacceptable.

These people were replaced by rookies as we are unable to attract strong talent in the market due to our commission structure and poor basic salaries.

Let's talk about staff development and promotions. The L&D team or the lack of is a joke. How you can call your training programme unique and one of the best in the market is seriously beyond belief. Promotions only happen once per quarter and every time that happens, serious question marks hang over WHY is this person being promoted? (A good example - someone enters the business at a senior level, soon after has near 80% staff turnover across that division and is promoted to interim MD) HOW?

I could go on and on but the fact is, I used to genuinely love Morgan Hunt. I would proactively try and get my friends to join.
    But now, I wouldn't even recommend them to anyone.

Advice to Management

Recruitment is a sales business. Why are Senior Managers and Directors sat there twiddling their thumbs on a daily basis? You don't generate business, you don't bill, you don't lead from the front and you're out of touch with the market. How can you possibly lead your teams to success? You should be leading from the front which starts with actually showing your staff that you're a capable Recruiter in the first place, bringing in business, growing the brand etc.