Morgan Lewis Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Morgan Lewis Chair of the Firm Jami Wintz McKeon
Jami Wintz McKeon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Team work environment, very nice colleagues, flexible schedule (in 11 reviews)

• Good people and opportunities to learn (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Some departments have more privileges, and better work/life balance than others, which seems a bit unfair considering that it's entirely arbitrary (in 8 reviews)

• As with any major law firm, there is room for improvement in some of the leadership areas within IT (in 12 reviews)

"Paralegal"

Pros

Good people and opportunities to learn. I was looking to make a fresh start while finding a supportive group of people to work with each day and feel good about going to work everyday. Christmas party is with co-counsel firm at a bowling party.

Cons

If you are looking for a grand start, this is not a place to get all the perks of a large firm.

Advice to Management

Try quarterly bowling or recreational fun

2. "Some good, some not so good"

I worked at Morgan Lewis full-time

Pros

Smart, nice lawyers. Progressive and forward-thinking firm. Huge firm but feels smaller thanks to good local office culture.

Cons

Advancement to partnership is a total black box even when you ask direct questions, there are seldom any concrete answers.

Advice to Management

More transparency with senior associates. If they are in the dark on what may or may not happen with their careers, they will leave.

3. "Marketing"

I worked at Morgan Lewis full-time

Pros

Great benefits and room for growth within marketing department.

Cons

Salary/Pay is below average for the market.

4. "No job is perfect."

Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Morgan Lewis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office is in a great location; Center City Philadelphia. I have great co-workers, challenging work, all the resources I need to do my job, and a really great balance of management influence vs autonomy.

Cons

Department heads have the freedom to run their department as they wish, but this leads to some wildly differing cultures. Some departments have more privileges, and better work/life balance than others, which seems a bit unfair considering that it's entirely arbitrary. In fact, some floors of the building feel like an entirely different company all together.

The benefits are excellent for 5 years ago, but they're pretty mediocre by today's standards.

The pay could be better - while not terrible, it will likely be a factor when I eventually move on.

5. "Of counsel"

Current Employee - Of Counsel in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Of Counsel in Washington, DC

I have been working at Morgan Lewis full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Remote work policy is excellent

Cons

Unsustainable hourly demands relative to compensation.

Advice to Management

Find a better business model

"GREAT COWORKERS, BIG FIRM BENEFITS - MOSTLY"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Morgan Lewis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job, mainly because my management team is exceptional, from the managing partner, the administrator and my direct secretarial supervisor. I feel so lucky to have them in my office

Cons

It is a big firm. Getting to the right person to get something done is problematic. Training is hands off and it is a shame. We have wonderful people working here, and I think we all truly want to do good work, but when something is new there is no onsite training and the online training just isn't the same. Our intranet is woefully out of date with announcements from 2016 on some of the pages. It just kind of looks like they don't quite care and is sloppy. The holiday bonus cracks me up. It is the smallest I've ever encountered. I mean, thanks, but... really?

Advice to Management

If you did a better job on the administrative end of things instead of outsourcing, posting paper training on the IT Department Learning page, and had onsite classes, per office, you would have this place running like a Swiss watch. The online sheet should be a backup/reference tool, not the whole enchilada. We fumble b/c we have the tools, but not the knowledge to utilize them properly and efficiently. We get by, but that isn't thriving now is it?

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Morgan Lewis full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice, hard working, loyal group of employees including the associates and some partners.

Cons

Cheap firm, always looking for a bargain. They give pastries that taste a day old, you have to use five paper towels in order to dry your hands because the paper towels dissolve. They still use liquid white out, the carpet is filthy, office chairs are broken and the walls could use some fresh paint. The past 5 years increases have been 2% or less. This year the firm did a market survey and said they were going to give better increases. They lied. Some increases were less than 2%, bonuses are a joke. The managing partner in LA is crazy and if she doesn’t like you she will make sure she gets rid of you. She’s sneaky and thinks that buying the staff lunch makes up for the crappy raises. Rumors are circulating that the Chair of the firm realizes she made a mistake by putting her in that position, and she will be removed by year end. To make things worse the managing partner runs the L&E group, high turnover, overworked associates, it is obvious that the new associates and laterals in that department know they made a mistake coming to Morgan. The firm thinks they are big law, but they’re not. They treat the Bingham employees like second class citizens and the managing partner in LA condones this. There are a lot of good loyal employees who deserve better, not sure why they stay. The firm sucks.

Advice to Management

Management does not have a backbone, you can’t blame them because if they spoke up the managing partner will turn against them. They just do what they’re told. They’re all clones. Don’t bother coming here, you’re wasting your time. Morale is low and many employees are disappointed with the cheap partners and their lies.

8. "Former company"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Lewis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

long hours to work for

9. "Middling"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Morgan Lewis full-time

Pros

Mostly populated with great, smart, hardworking attorneys.

Cons

Limited ability for any partner in an office outside of Philly to make decisions.

Advice to Management

One particular partner (with no book of business) has been the cause for a half dozen associate departures and has no legal acumen. Why does this person remain?

10. "Associate"

I worked at Morgan Lewis part-time

Pros

It provides great training and experience, particularly for new attorneys.

Cons

It involves long hours and high intensity work.

Advice to Management

Take time for mentorship.