Morgan McKinley Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Morgan McKinley CEO Pat Fitzgerald
Pat Fitzgerald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very good work-life balance by keeping admin/meetings to a reasonable level (in 11 reviews)

• There's a great social life and generally the management are very approachable and pragmatic (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Good boutique recruitment firm"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good company culture, no emphasis on KPIs, good work-life balance

Cons

slow software, slow promotion (no clear goal), high turnover in researcher team

Advice to Management

Set clear goals for researchers, consultants and senior consultants. Actively recruit fresh grad or interns as researchers or get rid of the researcher level

2. "Good Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good and friendly work atmosphere. They have a really nice coffee machine and take care of all expenses for end of month / quarter nights out.

Cons

Typical pressured environment if you are not billing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Oct 18, 2017 – Global Marketing Executive

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear your view on our atmosphere, in and out of the office. We wish you a long and successful career in Morgan McKinley.
    ps - I'm a fan of the coffee machine... More

3. "Senior Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great work location and working environment, relatively flexible on the daily working routine that allows you to take control your own pace
    - good for young people who seek mid-term career development and prompt performance recognition
    - management or semi-management executives are young yet have good potential to develop further
    - quite friendly colleagues who are passionate and professional

Cons

- an ambiguous vision for mid-long term career development
    - lacks leadership and business developers

Advice to Management

please be a bit more long-term-planned, instead of reviewing revenues on a weekly basis - Reward those who do exploration just as you reward those who do existing client development. New client/ business acquisition should be at least of the same importance as case delivery.

Sep 27, 2017 – Global Head of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you highly rate our culture and office environment. I would welcome the opportunity to learn about your views in more detail - please feel... More

"Excellent place with a very different style."

Current Employee - Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A genuinely different recruitment company, with a much more mature and professional way of operating. Autonomy and ownership is encouraged rather than micro-managing, and leadership options are available to those who want them, from an early stage in your career.

Great office, excellent incentives (at least half the office goes each year on trip to vietnam, thailand etc and stay in 5 star hotels; plus team lunches; office sports and fun activities in the evenings - lots of social interaction).

Professionally a good brand - genuine leader in financial services recruitment in HK (wins awards year after year) and a strong commerce & industry division growing for 10+ years now which means the company covers a large share of the market.

Impressive CSR: raising 1,000,000 Euro for charity in less than 2 years, and we get charitable days off to help towards this target. Company shows it has a heart.

Strong, friendly, but firm MD who cares for the people, but will not allow idle staff to sit still. As an experienced recruiter she also adds a lot of info and contacts to the team.

Work/Life balance is decent. Some people work late as a choice but it is not expected or encouraged. We also have target-based early closing, including 12noon friday, and we start later than most recruiters in HK.

Cons

Database can be slow and frustrating sometimes

Some privileged consultants expect all the work to be done for them and complain when it is not. This can effect morale.

More responsibility could be given to junior managers earlier.

Quite a few long-term staff had got comfortable and were not as hard-working or cross-selling well. They should step up or move on, as negative energy is not welcome.

Office is really full now and can be too noisy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, you have a recipe to grow this happy business. Dont listen to some of the negativity from those low performers who are not prepared to work hard... or be distracted by lazy people's feedback.

Aug 23, 2017 – HR Business Partner

We appreciate your feedback, and ensure that we take all comments (positive and negative) on board. We’re pleased to read your observations on our culture, management team and CSR challenge. It would... More

"MMK - Singapore Office"

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MMK is definitely different that the other recruitment firms; they do live up to their values and provide a healthy competitive environment where all the consultants can feel empowered. There will always be some thinking that it is too competitive, too sales target driven, too KPI driven. The reality is, we are in recruitment; if you do not like a bit of competition or to achieve sales targets, it might not be the right job for you.

The senior management is very close to each employees and everything is very transparent; the Director is always open to hear new ideas or concerns that we might have and takes them onboard. Most managers are also good listeners.

It is also a very rewarding environment; every success is celebrated. And when we do not have a good month, well, we are being motivated to do better.

I created very strong friendships in this environment; most of us work very well together and cross-selling happens naturally.

MMK is also very involved in charity and CSR programmes.

I believe most people feel proud to be part of the MMK family, I certainly do. The way we approach recruitment is different than everybody else. We are very candidate focused: we treat all candidates like kings and queens while others would glorify clients only.

It is a modern recruitment firm, listening to the markets and riding the Tech wave. We also focus more on recruiting for SME rather than the big dogs.

Recruitment is a very competitive industry in Singapore. There are 3700 of them here and MMK definitely stands out.

There are also loads of internal opportunities; if you do not feel good on a particular desk, you can definitely move to another.

Cons

- Training programmes to develop: we recently put in place MOT (module orientated trainings) which is great, and we have very well done online trainings (Knowledge Hub) but we lack face to face training. I know this is being addressed and will be implemented soon.

- Hardware: this is also something that the management is aware off. If we are going to be a more Tech focus recruitment firm, we need to have the tools for it.

- APAC politics: it can be very difficult to work well with a few other of our APAC offices; some internal politics are having a negative effect on the business and on the relationships with some stakeholders.

- The office space is not cost efficient.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and do keep your promises.

Aug 4, 2017 – Head of Learning and Development

Thanks for your review! It's really pleasing to hear about your experience of our culture, values and working environment. I'd be keen to learn more about your ideas and thoughts on training, IT... More

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morgan McKinley are a flexible company working with their employees to offer work opportunities that suit their employees.
    Approachable management
    Excellent online up skilling courses
    Great benefits
    Forward thinking

Cons

none to speak of at this time

Aug 23, 2017 – Global Marketing Executive

Thank you very much for your feedback. Its great to hear how positively you rate the culture and incentives that you’ve experienced whilst working at Morgan McKinley... Long may it continue!

7. "Senior Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Multi cultural environment. Serious work culture. Has a reputed name in the market

Cons

Much politics and imbalance of work. Too many transitioning in the teams
    Too many comparisons within the team. High attrition

Advice to Management

Need to identify the right profile for the role and pay them the best and get the work done from them.

Ideally when an employee joins a company need 6 - 8 months to prove and set within the firm.

"People oriented. Healthy competition is encouraged."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morgan McKinley is a people oriented company. This company believes in best practices and values certain degree of processes without being overly KPI driven (which is not rare in recruitment space). After all it's the consultants that drive business, and based on what I've seen this company doesn't treat employees merely "labors".

The company is also trusting. Consultants have good autonomy and and room to develop their role and progress with sufficient guidance. Haven't seen much micromanagement. This also goes back to fact that Morgan McKinley tend to hire self-driven and mature individuals.

Teamwork is very much encouraged here. And since senior management are good gatekeeper of company values I think we've mostly hired friendly team players so far. There's a good balance between collaboration and healthy competition.

Cons

Systems and hardwares could be improved - this might vary across different offices but that's the case in Shanghai where Internet itself is already slower. It somewhat impacts productivity.

Advice to Management

It's clear that global management is already aware of this - China is a pretty unique market in terms of recruitment ecosystem and job market dynamics (and obviously culture). Global strategies and practices might or might not work well here. Let's work together to refine and implement what is best suited for this market.

Also, promotion criteria could be slightly more defined and, as importantly, followed through.

Aug 2, 2017 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you positively rate our people and culture. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you regarding your views on how we could approach the market... More

"Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Consultant | Sales & Marketing in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Consultant | Sales & Marketing in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Morgan McKinley for 2 years, started as an Associate Consultant and promoted to a Consultant after a year time. I find it a great place to work at and I managed to meet a lot of young talents and built great relationship with colleagues. The business cares about its employees’ career progression and also provides strong support, high autonomy as well as a great social life to its people.

Cons

I think we could have stronger admin support in the business

Advice to Management

Carry on the good work and please keep the great vision and values we have in MMK!

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Marketing Executive

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear about your positive progression and we appreciate you sharing your experience!

"Great team environment"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morgan McKinley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Morgan McKinley is a total contrast to anywhere I've worked previously and genuinely changed my perception of the recruitment industry. There are no intense KPI's or clock watching and you do have a voice. The Directors listen to you and actively seek your opinion so it's great to have an input.
    The MMK brand is great leverage and is well-known which has made it a lot easier to work with new clients. There is a great office culture with lots of CSR activities, office events and incentives.

Cons

The systems can run slowly which is frustrating at times but it's great to see this being addressed with new IT being brought in.
    Working from home and flexibility will be easier when everyone is working from laptops.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to do things differently as it works.

Jul 7, 2017 – Global Marketing Executive

Thanks very much for your feedback. It's great to see your positive views on our culture, brand and activities! We wish you a long and successful career.