KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Morgan McKinley

Engaged Employer

Morgan McKinley

Add a Review

Morgan McKinley Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated Nov 10, 2021

Found 16 of over 573 reviews

4.3
Morgan McKinley Chief Executive Officer  Gerald Fitzgerald
Gerald Fitzgerald

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great culture and people are looked after(in 63 reviews)
  • "attract really good people and train them correctly(in 49 reviews)
  • "Good training and teaching(in 27 reviews)
  • "Great management across the entire business and a true focus on development which is thorough and incredibly helpful!(in 24 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and work hours(in 20 reviews)
Cons
  • "Salary and benefits are awful and this was beginning to create a lot of resentment in Support.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Thresholds increase with higher salary too which is madness(in 8 reviews)
  • "Not fit for someone who is looking for a mild career progression.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Can be long hours but to be expected in recruitment(in 8 reviews)
  • "For a company who hires the best people (which they do!), decent salary, commission without threshold and healthcare at a minimum should be covered.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Former Temporary Employee

Nice place to work

Nov 10, 2021 - Staff Accountant in Cork
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice offices. City centre location.

Cons

High staff turnover. Complicated systems

2. 3.0

Can’t recommend

May 15, 2019 - Senior Consultant in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great for graduates, positive environment on some teams. Good exposure to clients, very little business development which gives the opportunity to achieve success quickly. Upbeat social environment and great parties

Cons

Abnormally high turnover from senior management down to the bottom. Growth plans are high yet the core of their business gets lost in the process. Company politics are the biggest problem, promotions are handed out loosely and reactively, often when consultants are not capable and cannot handle the pressure put on them by directors. Consultants and senior management disappear on leave and don’t return with unclear explanations creating a serious lack of transparency and fear of instability. A lot of faith put into new management which has resulted in almost whole teams being wiped out within a year.

1 person found this review helpful

Global Head of HR

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I’m disappointed to learn that your experience has fallen short of the standards we expect. We take your feedback seriously and I’d welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact me directly and confidentially at hgallagher@morganmckinley.com.

3. 4.0
    Former Employee

Progressive and ambitious for a recruitment company

Jul 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very progressive in terms of technology and strategy

Cons

High turnover of staff and the base salary wasn't great

Global Marketing Executive

Thanks for your review. We're pleased to see that you positively rate our strategy and technology. As a business we proactively review compensation to ensure it remains market competitive and rewards great performance, though we would welcome the opportunity to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to contact our Head of HR, Helen, directly at hgallagher@morganmckinley.com

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Consultant

Jul 11, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, it's a nice environment and the offices are lovely and modern. Overall a really nice pleasant place to work

Cons

Salaries are not great and staff turnover is high

People Director

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear about your positive experience working at Morgan McKinley, but it was disappointing to read your views with regards to remuneration and turnover. As a business we proactively review compensation to ensure it remains market competitive and rewards great performance. All insights and feedback are valuable, and if you wish to discuss further please feel free to contact me directly and confidentially at awebb@morganmckinley.com

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Overall a good experience

Jun 11, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment with excellent colleagues and flexible hours. There is a diverse work load depending on your role and opportunity to change roles internally.

Cons

There can be a high turnover within the company and management is sometimes slow to act.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Consultant

May 4, 2016 - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

attract really good people and train them correctly

Cons

the turnover of staff is high

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Honest Review, I really enjoyed my time at MMK and sad it didn't work out. Would recommend them for sure.

Apr 1, 2020 - Recruitment Consultant in Sydney
    Business Outlook

Pros

Close knit teams, which is good as there really is a good culture feel. Everyone in there was helpful, made suggestions and helps out, candidate sharing not hoarding, engaging and friendly - nights out organised, team games etc. They do have high expectations (and rightly so), passionate - really hard working for the benefit of the client which is so under rated - not a bunch of cow-boys, lovely office and working environment, great training - really intuitive and engaging - management and consultants run them so you know its from people actually doing your job training you, flexibility and ability to work from home was under rated - especially in current times. Experienced leaders and consultants who know the market really well, have some close relationships with clients meaning good access to roles (in my case this was true). Revised commission structure is good. As always focuses on performance = rewards which is good, but allows you to earn from day one.

Cons

Tend to focus only on the positives ('positive news only please'), which can be difficult in hard times - a bit of realism to staff would go along way if people are really struggling with market conditions I think it would help to hear empathy in relation to that. Although I understand that positive news is important for team morale. When someone is struggling although management say the right things I didn't feel they worked properly to help fix them (this could be a clash of personality styles or something else), maybe it was that it didn't sink in until it was too late. Pretty cut throat, feel like you are only good as your last deal. Feel like peoples past achievements are forgotten about or overlooked if things change/take a downturn. Not sure where things can go long term for career progression due to lots of managers, unsure of their structure long term even with the revised pathway to success? Apparently some people aren't happy with the revised plans, could result in them earning less money. Think there is a relatively high turnover in a couple areas of the business, but mainly its stable.

Marketing Assistant

Thank you for your review and sharing your thoughts. We take on board your feedback and are grateful for this insight, in order to help us improve. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Morgan McKinley and wish you every success in your future.

8. 3.0

Better than 90% of recruitment agencies

Dec 19, 2013 - Consultant in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Compared to most recruitment agencies where meaningless KPIs (i.e. time spent on the phone per week) are obsessed over, Morgan McKinley is definitely more relaxed as a work environment and occasionally sees value in things other than numbers.. Also, they generally hire amenable and dynamic people, so the company culture is fun and vibrant. They are also very encouraging when it comes to training up staff and giving them a clear internal career development path (despite it being 95% based on billings).

Cons

The upper management tend to be quite short-sighted and have had issues with prioritisation.. On a micro-level, if you bill a lot in a short time you are basically given a pass for a while.. Macro: when times are good they get quixotic, hiring like mad and upgrading/opening new offices.. This bites the whole company back when revenue inevitably goes down.. Also, on certain teams it's more valuable to be a robot than to actually know what you're talking about.. They pay a lot of lip service to the model solid consultant being one who knows their subject matter and having long-standing relationships with their clients based on professional respect, but this all flies out the window if you bill and will not save you if you're not billing.. Again, take that with a grain of salt because at other recruitment agencies they'd be much more brutal.. Finally: the bonus structure.. It's shockingly unfair.. I won't go into details, but you have to bill quite a lot before you stand to make a bonus, and if you're under your targets for two consecutive quarters, you basically find yourself in a hole that you'll only dig your way out of with a couple recruitment miracles.. This gives employees the choice to either stay without hope of getting a bonus, or just start to look for new jobs while surviving off the basic salary.. The bonus structure is by and large the reason for the high turnover of staff.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place for a graduate

May 12, 2017 - Recruitment Consultant in Dublin, Dublin
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent brand, good training, good management and good social scene. Really good long-term relationships in industries, so job flow is really good. Great reputation, so you'll walk in anywhere after 1-2 years here. No pressure to do overtime, unlike most agencies - Do your work, go home! Parties are great, but I'd personally prefer to see that money in my payslip than extravagant weekends/parties. Offices are top class.

Cons

Thresholds!! Base salary is low, commission structure isn't good and almost no benefits. Really didn't feel very valued for these reasons. For a company who hires the best people (which they do!), decent salary, commission without threshold and healthcare at a minimum should be covered. Turnover is high for these reasons alone, as it's a good place to work. Yeah, there's quarterly/yearly bonuses to make up for the thresholds, but that honestly felt like a gimmick to take away commission. Progression is rarer here than most places, but probably due to lower turnover in management.

HR Manager

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that you positively rate our brand and culture, but disappointing to read your views on remuneration. As a business we proactively review compensation to ensure it remains market competitive and rewards great performance. I would welcome the opportunity to learn about your feedback in more detail - please feel free to contact me directly at hgallagher@morganmckinley.com

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A culture based on service and development

May 6, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Morgan McKinley is centred around its people, it looks to develop individuals individually, and doesn't believe one size fits all. It offers autonomy, whilst still providing clarity around what is expected day to day. It's not too KPI driven, but allows individuals to work towards meaningful objectives. The senior leadership team are visible and (for the most part) care about individuals in their teams and wider business. It is a rewarding culture that celebrates success often and well.

Cons

Experience can vary depending on the desk you work on, but I believe the business is working to improve this. Turnover is high.

1 person found this review helpful