Morley Builders Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles Muttillo

1. "Career at Morley"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started working with Morley over 17 years ago. Originally I was attracted to Morley because of the projects they build, but what has kept me here is the people. I can honestly say that I work with some of the brightest, hardest working, and genuine people I have ever met. Some of the things I appreciate most about the company are; employee owned, interesting and challenging projects, majority of negotiated work, small sized and family culture, and focus on work-life balance.

Cons

Only working in Southern California

2. "Great Company But Going Through Some Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, open-door environment with leadership, entrepreneurial spirit. I see this company continuing to be successful if they can keep up with technology and be open to new ideas.

Cons

Lack of training for leadership, lack of career growth opportunities. Leadership seems to be stuck in a rut. They continue to approach things the same way, just because of "what we've always done in the past." This could get the company into trouble and halter growth if they stay in their comfort zone and don't branch out. Embrace change!

Advice to Management

Consider training all leadership on better ways to communicate with employees. Consider offering more flexible schedules and a telecommuniting program when appropriate.

3. "A great place to work on its way to Excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great family culture and work environment: fun, friendly, family-oriented
    - Offers lots of social activities and gathering outside of work
    - We build unique and challenging projects that make us proud
    - Morley is comprised of talented individuals who are very engaged and passionate about the work we do
    - Leadership cares about people and is invested in growing and developing its employees
    - Morley embraces change and new ideas; committed to doing what it takes to make Morley one of the best places to work and is taking active steps towards that goal
    - Morley is becoming very forward-thinking and offers many avenues for us to get involved in special initiatives and programs
    - Overall competitive benefit package
    -100% Employee Owned

Cons

- Could offer more flexibility with work schedules and telecommuting (currently offers traditional work hours from the office/jobsites)
    - Communication could be improved for more transparency and openness (they are working on it)
    - No company sponsored maternity leave plan

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to care about keeping employees happy and engaged as happy employees make successful companies. Continue to look for new ways of being innovative and standing out from competitors, even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone. Don't be afraid to address difficult and sensitive issues as employees value being involved.

5. "Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Morley Builders (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good at ensuring you will swim rather than sink. Tasks delegated to interns are meaningful and interesting. Good work life balance. Fun work environment (field) interacting with people from many aspects of the business.

Cons

Work can be slow moving due to nature of the business leading to somewhat repetitive days. Having same discussions with contractors day in and day out due to their forgetfulness and / or unwillingness to believe you is tiresome.

Advice to Management

Engage more with the San Diego interns. Lack of clarity on expectations for participation in intern events from San Diego interns left something to be desired.

Dec 12, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks for dropping us your thoughts. Morley's key goal in providing internship opportunities is to ensure that the experience is educational, meaningful, interesting and of course fun. The HR team ... More

6. "Senior Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Morley Builders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a long-history. Focus on delivering great buildings. Quality and safety are priorities. Good systems in place. Good senior management. This is an excellent company to learn the business from the ground up. Lot's of development opportunities for junior employees. This is a historically profitable business with a solid foundations and great values.

Cons

If you want to be a construction professional I really believe this a great company to be at. At one time they got a bit top-heavy. I don't believe that to be the case today.

Advice to Management

Make sure you maintain a clear career path for new hires and mid-level employees. Keep growing. I always felt the company was very timid when it came to geographic expansion. I believe Morley could do very well in other markets.

Apr 3, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking time to share your experience and thoughts.

"Morley Long Term Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Morley is like a big family. Very warm and inviting. I started with Morley on the jobsite and became very interested in all parts of the company. After the project was over I was brought into the office and took on more responsibilities. Morley has given me a chance to grow and move forward in the company as I was able to learn and give back. Having been here for so long I can't imagine working any where else.

Cons

I don't have any negatives about the company

Mar 3, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you! Our legacy of tenured employees is one of the things that make Morley unique and special. We truly appreciate you!

8. "Happy for over a decade"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at Morley is very warm and inviting. We have always been encouraged to work smarter vs working harder. The energy here is a positive one. The company has gone through changes in the past few years and they are consistently looking at innovative ways to prevail and remain progressive and forward thinking. I feel valued more often than not and that my contributions are both respected and appreciated. They make great efforts when hiring to ensure that new people are a good fit with our culture. Morley really does a lot to keep their employees engaged and satisfied with fun events to maintain a family feel and sense of camaraderie. For those out in the field, safety is an above and beyond high priority.

Cons

The communication from leadership is not as good as it could be. This is something that needs to be focused on to make improvements. When you encourage people to share what they have to say, really listen and hear them.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make the communication better. Be more open to new ways of thinking instead of reverting back to the 'this is the way we've always done things' sort of mentality.

Mar 3, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you and we hear you! Honest and transparent feedback, signals clearly to us where we have opportunities for growth and allows us to incorporate suggestions into meaningful initiatives and ... More

9. "A solid place but going through change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Social atmosphere with a lots of company events.

Cons

Poor compensation
    Little upward mobility
    Rampant favoritism

10. "Great hands on experience"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

great leadership, gained a lot of experience

Cons

poor communication, tend to micro manage

Advice to Management

none at this time

11. "Responsability, dedication,honest."

Current Employee - V Years Experience Like Carpenter and Iron Worker in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Share my experience and bring the support in a Team work to have good result profesional at work, personal and families

Cons

Improve my skills following intructions, appliable to work for benefits the company, and reach the goal.The way to have the satisface costumers.

Advice to Management

Friendly with all team, Share experience, help others,