Morley Builders Reviews | Glassdoor

Charles Muttillo

1. "Career at Morley"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started working with Morley over 17 years ago. Originally I was attracted to Morley because of the projects they build, but what has kept me here is the people. I can honestly say that I work with some of the brightest, hardest working, and genuine people I have ever met. Some of the things I appreciate most about the company are; employee owned, interesting and challenging projects, majority of negotiated work, small sized and family culture, and focus on work-life balance.

Cons

Only working in Southern California

2. "Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Morley Builders (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good at ensuring you will swim rather than sink. Tasks delegated to interns are meaningful and interesting. Good work life balance. Fun work environment (field) interacting with people from many aspects of the business.

Cons

Work can be slow moving due to nature of the business leading to somewhat repetitive days. Having same discussions with contractors day in and day out due to their forgetfulness and / or unwillingness to believe you is tiresome.

Advice to Management

Engage more with the San Diego interns. Lack of clarity on expectations for participation in intern events from San Diego interns left something to be desired.

Dec 12, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks for dropping us your thoughts. Morley's key goal in providing internship opportunities is to ensure that the experience is educational, meaningful, interesting and of course fun. The HR team ... More

3. "Virtual Construction Intern"

Former Intern - Virtual Construction in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Intern - Virtual Construction in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Morley Builders as an intern

Pros

I worked at Morley for 3 months, the company culture is great. There are many get together events for all employees to meet each other. Projects are interesting and the quality of work is good. Supervisors and other team members are very easy to talk to. It was a great learning experience for me. Interns are treated very nicely, there are several organized construction site tours and mix up events for interns.

Cons

BIM interns are mostly in office and someone like me would have enjoyed some days in site office too.

Advice to Management

Nothing

5. "Senior Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Morley Builders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a long-history. Focus on delivering great buildings. Quality and safety are priorities. Good systems in place. Good senior management. This is an excellent company to learn the business from the ground up. Lot's of development opportunities for junior employees. This is a historically profitable business with a solid foundations and great values.

Cons

If you want to be a construction professional I really believe this a great company to be at. At one time they got a bit top-heavy. I don't believe that to be the case today.

Advice to Management

Make sure you maintain a clear career path for new hires and mid-level employees. Keep growing. I always felt the company was very timid when it came to geographic expansion. I believe Morley could do very well in other markets.

Apr 3, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking time to share your experience and thoughts.

"Morley Long Term Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Morley is like a big family. Very warm and inviting. I started with Morley on the jobsite and became very interested in all parts of the company. After the project was over I was brought into the office and took on more responsibilities. Morley has given me a chance to grow and move forward in the company as I was able to learn and give back. Having been here for so long I can't imagine working any where else.

Cons

I don't have any negatives about the company

Mar 3, 2016 – VP, Human Resources

Thank you! Our legacy of tenured employees is one of the things that make Morley unique and special. We truly appreciate you!

7. "Great Contractor & Excellent Reputation"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Overall a great company to work for and regarded as one of the best contractors in Los Angeles. The company offers good benefits and the salary / bonus structure seems to be higher than average. The opportunities for learning are quite extensive since the company works on a broad range of project types and self performs concrete work. Employees are generally given the opportunity to take on as much work as they can handle/want and are subsequently rewarded for it. They also provide a good atmosphere to work in as management generally seems to care for the employees and most employees seem to enjoy working with each other.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are no opportunities to leave So Cal as the company's operations are limited to Los Angeles & San Diego.

Advice to Management

Improve the annual review process. It's kind of a joke to have a VP give a review without directly observing employee work product... leave this to direct supervisors. A better education reimbursement plan would also be a plus

8. "Great company, Great people, Great future!"

I have been working at Morley Builders full-time

Pros

Exceptional people I believe to be among the most talented in the industry. Excellent culture centered on teamwork and providing support to employees at all levels. Projects are challenging, unique and exciting. Firm benefits from an excellent reputation which continues to be positively developed through the company’s dedication to delivering exceptional services and projects.

Cons

None really. I hope we will continue to look to grow into new markets and open additional office locations.

Advice to Management

Continue to make decisions centered around employees as the firm always has done. The future is bright, it’s a very exciting time to be at Morley Builders!