Morningside Translations Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2020

2.9
Morningside Translations Co-CEO Roland Lessard
Roland Lessard
Pros
  • "Birthday and happy hour gatherings, as well as office perks such as Seamless Wednesdays, is just icing on the cake(in 6 reviews)

• "Great work environment and support(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work long hours to meet deadlines while some of the sales reps play video games and watch youtube videos at their desk(in 3 reviews)

• "At the time, it was a bit of a toxic environment(in 3 reviews)

"Great people and great company!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

Working out of the NYC office, you meet people from diverse cultural backgrounds who are all a pleasure to work with. Interaction with employees all over the world is a great experience for expanding horizons and gaining cultural awareness. Excellent health benefits, 401k match, and free Seamless lunches.

Cons

Working with team members all over the world means juggling many different time zones, which can be confusing and make it challenging to coordinate meetings that everyone can attend.

"Just"

Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY

I have been working at Morningside Translations full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People at entry level are amazing - Learn how to behave in a corporate environment - Build a thick skin if you want to build a career with no real skillset

Cons

The CEOs are operators who bought the company to flip it. There is no vision or industry knowledge here, just a set of financial and business rules enforced by managers that usually don't have any experience outside the company. This creates a very toxic environment where survival is more about communication and finger pointing than actual skills. Avoid if you like what you do.

3. "Mixed bag"

4.0
    Current Employee - Translator in New York, NY

I have been working at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to start, high pay and responsibility. If you are adept at what you do, can work independently and collaboratively as needed, then this can be a great team to join.

Cons

Self-starting, technical and linguistic skills and thick skin required. There were some people this year who I'll say were kind of weird, and brought too much drama to the table. I would have more of a tolerance if they were good at their job, but considering their basic spelling and translation errors, and the amount of ego in the face of a little criticism, I wish I hadn't been exposed to these people in the first place. They didn't last long in their role, and I have to wonder how they slipped through because some other hires are just great.

Continue reading

"Worst Company Ever - Do not work here!"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is not one positive thing

Cons

Of all of my years working I have never come across such a poorly run company. They micro-manage and push employees like tyrants. Managers are complete idiots - have no idea how to manage or lead or even about what they are selling. They are dishonest and misleading to their clients. They have terrible quality and constant negative feedback from clients . They record calls without disclosing to client which is bordering on illegal. They are dishonest about their process. The executives do not care at all about the employees. They are not willing to listen to feedback. They do not know what they are doing. Absolutely do not work here if you want to have even a slightly positive work environment where you are valued.

Continue reading

"What's the translation for "chaos"?"

Former Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

Location near Penn Station is convenient. This could be a good spot to start a career for those with no better option or who thrive without real training or mentorship.

Cons

Low morale and high turnover. A tendency to focus on cutting costs and cutting corners. Rapid expansion has invited chaos, poor communication, and office politics. It is a young company in bad ways: unprofessional, clicky, and disorganized. The serious dysfunction of old management has done real damage to Morningside’s reputation in the industry. New management doesn’t seem to have any vision to compensate for that. This situation has given a few seriously toxic employees room to thrive, that has done real damage. In particular, inappropriate ethnic/gender/religious comments are laughed off and dishonesty and misleading clients/potential employees are approved of.

"Interesting place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than a year

Pros

It paid well, it was a well structured job with great employees and opportunities for growth.

Cons

At the time, it was a bit of a toxic environment. Lots of fights instigated by the owner of the company. I heard it has since improved since the owner has a less involved role. Sometimes it could be long hours, and it didn't always seem necessary.

"Don't put yourself through the stress."

Former Employee - Just Don't Do IT

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time

Pros

There are handful of people that really care about doing their job correctly.

Cons

There a lot a large amount of people that rather point a finger then help solve a problem.

Continue reading

"The best LSP I've worked for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Morningside Translations full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for 3 LSPs and Morningside is by far the best employer I've had. It's a mid-sized company with a global presence that's rapidly expanding but it hasn't lost that small company feel. Just about everybody knows each other and other offices and departments are always available, accountable and amenable to lending a hand when needed. Leadership is accessible and always willing to listen to an idea, question or concern. The pay is competitive and the benefits are solid.

Cons

I've been here almost a year now and haven't had any notable negative experiences yet.

Continue reading

"Not Bad, But Management Really Needs to Stop the Chicanery"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Answer in New York, NY

I worked at Morningside Translations full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is not going anywhere. Plenty of cash rolling in, they will be in business for a long time. Customers seem very satisfied. Lots of very nice, sweet people, including management and owners. Very bizarre that they seem so blissfully unaware that they overpromising and underdelivering to their employees big time.

Cons

Here's the situation. Company got big under a sometimes over-generous owner, who understood that people are motivated to work by getting paid MONEY. There were some issues, but also lots of perks and raises and it was easy to feel that your income level would continue to go up. New owners came in, improved product & processes, attempted to rally the employees around growing the company tenfold. But perks were cut, some salaries were cut, some workloads went up big time. What's in it for us, we asked? You'll get promoted up the company ladder, everybody gets an annual raise, we make more, you make more. Annual raise was promised at each monthly meeting. Lo and behold -- no annual raises! Er, actually a few, but tiny ones, and with an increased workload. Sorry, that's not a raise. Meanwhile, we kept getting told about record months for revenue and profit. There were some fractional perks given, with HR patting itself on the back like they had come through with something that wasn't 10% of the perks we were getting before. Meanwhile, this is all happen with Orwellian rhetoric that it's all in everyone's best interests.

10. "Decent job"

I worked at Morningside Translations part-time

Pros

Very Good, very little to improve

Cons

Minimal, not so much to improve

Found 66 reviews