Morningstar Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Pros
  • Good work life balance, good working environment, few good projects for techie (in 121 reviews)

• So much room for growth, very obvious care for clients, energetic and intellectually stimulating work environment (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • One of the cons would be the low pay considering the city it is located at and the cost of living (in 35 reviews)

• Some senior management guys can hardly communicate in fluent english (in 23 reviews)

"Client Solutions Consultant"

Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

my team is enthusiastic about helping the client, and is smart and wise. I enjoy working with my colleague and managers. As a remote worker, my bosses provide support where needed, yet do not hassle or micro-manage. One is expected and trusted to work hard. We value and respect our employees' competency. I find this a rare, and valuable trait of Morningstar's culture.

Cons

the knowledge level of the team may vary based on the backgrounds of those who join the team. However, this is not unique to Morningstar, and we have a culture which values collaboration, so colleagues can get up and running quickly, regardless of background.

"Editor"

Current Employee - Editor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Editor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Morningstar is a great place to work. People are diverse, talented, engaged, and there are many areas over which you can grow your career. I believe leaders care as much about employees as they do about shareholders, and attempt to keep those interests in balance. Management is supportive--flexible work arrangements, educational support and funding, and more.

Cons

Pay isn't great for the investment management industry, but it's not so far off that other benefits don't make up for this.

Advice to Management

Make a greater push to build brand and general financial awareness among millennials and younger people. Our independent and principled approach should be a natural hook.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with thoughtful, intelligent, hard working, nice people

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive vibe

"Senior Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Talented group of co-workers who enjoy thinking strategically about how to solve problems and help investors make better decisions
    -Great opportunity for those who work hard and go above and beyond

Cons

-Change has been a constant in how the company is organized/led over the past several years

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Morningstar hires smart, creative people across the company, making it a delight to come to work every day. It's also a very mission driven company with the entire company working towards the same mission, regardless of the area of the business you work in.

Cons

Like any company with as many lines of business as Morningstar, it can sometimes feel like priorities aren't perfectly clear. Related, while the mission is clear, it isn't always clear how the day-to-day lines up with the 10 year strategy.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to connect the strategy to the day-to-day work, and be better about saying no to projects.

"Great culture and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, bright energetic and friendly people, comfortable open work environment, constantly trying to improve, good benefits, decent pay

Cons

Needs to hone it's focus and drive more intensity from the team. Maybe a little too comfortable.

Advice to Management

Turn up the heat. Clarify the business focus and help eliminate distractions. Inspire the team with crisp direction and action.

"Good work/life balance, great people, poor pay"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance tends to be really good here, most people get to the office by 9ish and seem to leave by 4:30/5.
    Flexible vacation policy is a plus, and you can usually work from home
    Employees receive 6 weeks sabbatical after 4 years of employment
    Relaxed and casual office environment
    Most people are easy to get along with as Morningstar spends a lot of time when hiring to ensure new employees will be good cultural fit

Cons

My biggest gripe with Morningstar is their compensation, which tends to be lower than other companies
    The bonus pay structure is constantly changing and not always transparent, while the company provides quarterly updates on progress versus target it's difficult to understand how targets are developed
    Targets do not factor in industry peers
    Expect to get minimal raises each year
    There's a lot of turnover at this company, which surprised me when I first joined. It's interesting b/c the manager research group would ding firms for excessive turnover, but that seems fine when it occurs within Morningstar

Advice to Management

Improve comp structure and explain how targets are developed more clearly with employees
    I think better comp will lead to less turnover

"A solid place to work."

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, work life balance, lots of empowerment and responsibility. High degree of autonomy is given to employees who perform well. Continued professional education is encouraged and sponsored.

Cons

Extra effort will not be immediately recognized by increased compensation. As Morningstar's flexible work environment becomes more common in the industry, employees may no longer need to make the trade-off between a good workplace and middle-of-the-road compensation.

"MDP is not what it seems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Beautiful office
    Most people are pleasant and intelligent
    Location in the center of the Loop, close to transit
    One of the biggest names in the industry

Cons

The Morningstar Development Program is not what it seems. For starters, you're definitely going to be put in either Data or Client Services for your entry level role. This is totally fine in itself, but this isn't revealed until after you accept your offer. They're both essentially call center/help desk environments. Both have their challenges, but Client Services is a nightmare.

If you get placed in Client Services, get ready to get yelled at by the most obnoxious and rude people you've ever met in your life. The priorities change daily, which would be fine if there was an explanation behind it, but there rarely is. How you handled a call one day will be excellent, but the next day may result in a chat with your team lead and management. There's a feeling that management isn't always on your side. Everything starts and finishes from a viewpoint of what you did wrong rather than what you did right or what was out of your control.

Speaking of which, your mileage may vary with managers. If your team lead and manager are responsive and understanding, you may be able to truck through until you move into another department at Morningstar. By the way, expect that to take at least a year. But otherwise, don't expect much. You'll get the runaround and a winding explanation anytime you express any concerns (or even have any questions) about your role or duties. There's rarely a straight answer.

The MDP program says it promotes your career development, but I feel it is a very impersonal program, given the number of people in it. It's a bit chaotic and stretched thin, from what I experienced. You'll meet with someone in MDP leadership once every few months to discuss your career goals, and they are very pleasant and cheery people. But until you get the approval to move out of your first role, they aren't much help.

Advice to Management

Don't be disingenuous when marketing the MDP to people just starting out their careers. Tell people they'll basically be doing help desk type work for a year, and don't hide that behind fancy "consultant" titles that are basically anything but. It really leaves a sour taste in the mouth, and harms the new employees perception of the company and their role in it.

Maybe roll back the program in terms of people admitted so that people can get more individualized and frequent mentorship.

Make MDPs stakeholders in decision making, so that people don't feel jilted when a new team policy is put into effect.

"Leading technology with startup mindset"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good office location, easy to access subway stations

Cons

Previous technologist leadership was a failure. They left all together. It will be just a matter of time Morningstar will realize history repeats itself. The technology leadership in US and offshore has no idea of making the company back on track. Leading a big organization with startup mindset. Make no big mistake, but also make no innovations. Morningstar need people with successful tracking record of leading big teams. Unproven leaders come with a high risk premium.

Advice to Management

Get rid of un-qualified leadership. Hire the true technology leadership.

Morningstar Response

May 20, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thanks for providing your review. One thing I will agree with you on is that Morningstar is definitely not a startup. It was, however, a startup 33 years ago. It was built by a small team of ... More