Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Open culture, good work life balance" (in 176 reviews)

• "Friendly work environment , good place to work in the initial part of your career" (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low pay -- While there are decent benefits to help mitigate this fact, the truth is that they are really falling behind here" (in 35 reviews)

• "Way too many people take advantage of "work/life balance"" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Conversions Analyst in Oakland, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Conversions Analyst in Oakland, MD

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Morningstar really does believe in the work/life balance. I enjoy working here, and I believe that Morningstar does care about me as a person. The perks are fantastic. Sabbatical, great insurance, Schwab Retirement Plan Services, etc.

Cons

Sometimes the company is a little too frugal for my taste, but that might be because I work in a smaller office (not Chicago).

"Good people, good culture, under-compensation and lack of resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the people I work with - good people with good ethics. Work/Life balance is respected here. I love the unlimited vacation! Morningstar as a whole is well-respected in the industry.

Cons

My industry peers make significantly more than I do. There's lots of turnover here based largely on compensation. It seems so wasteful to have people leave and lose their knowledge over something like that. Knowing how underpaid we are and that there's little chance of high performance being recognized in a *truly financially meaningful* way breeds complacency. Raises are small, even with promotions.

We run lean (aka - we're cheap) and it certainly has negative impacts across the board, including in our ability to truly deliver superior product/service and client experience.

Advice to Management

Pay better so that employees are motivated to give their full efforts and don't move to other firms. Don't just shuffle the same people around in management positions - often people are in charge that aren't the best fits for the role.

"Great Place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in India, MS
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in India, MS

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No work pressure, Flexibility in working hours, Freedom to learn other things, Open & transparent culture

Cons

Since working for almost 5 years, I did not see any cons, you will have many opportunities to learn, You just need to push yourself.

"Morningstar - Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collegial, collaborative, entrepreneurial, scrappy, smart

Cons

Prioritization of internal resources prevents us from moving more nimbly

"No company is perfect, this one is pretty good"

Current Employee - Technology Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exciting and interesting work, reasonably honest management at all levels, not too political. Although I don't always think that we (as Technologists) see eye to eye with Senior Management, I will say that they are mostly very smart and capable people. CEO, CPO, CFO, CTO, etc are all very smart capable people and I believe that they are effective leaders.

Cons

I think that Product Managers and Senior Leaders don't really understand the complexity of the work in the Data/Data Services teams. They are often critical of velocity but I think it's because they aren't too interested in how the work is done. We are pushing the envelope in a complex data model and delivering powerful services.

I think that they could be better partners and participate more actively rather than just positioning us as "the problem".

Advice to Management

There is more that Executives and Senior Managers could do to partner with Technology rather than the often adversarial relationship many have today. Our jobs are usually not as easy as you believe them to be, and I don't always think that we receive recognition for the often complex work that we do.

"Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RSU, stipend for learning, sabbatical after 4 years

Cons

Tons of moving pieces and legacy systems to maintain

"Smart, down-to-earth, motivated people"

Former Employee - MDP in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - MDP in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great people. Relaxed, collaborative culture makes it easy to reach out to people across the organization - people are warm and competent.

2. Innovation is celebrated. The company strives to be on the cutting edge of technology, has invested in multiple high-quality training programs to teach employees data analytics, coding, etc. and makes it convenient and rewarding to complete these programs. Unlike most companies in finance, this is not a stuffy, hierarchical culture.

3. Work life balance. 40-50 hour weeks is typical. Unlimited vacation. Summer Fridays (on some teams).

4. In general, good for young people to explore what there is to learn in finance. You can do data analysis, sell-side equity research, investment management for a variety of client types, indexes / ETFs, fintech startup subsidiaries, internal strategy... MDPs can do any of this plus international rotations. There's just a lot going on in this company.

5. MDP program specific - the flexibility you get in switching between rotations (can switch into virtually any part of company at will and take however much time you want in that role) + exposure to senior leadership is incredible. Good training programs. And the program is highly respected within the company.

6. New CEO is great.

Cons

1. MDP program specific - the initial rotation in client-facing positions that most MDPs go through is pretty arbitrary and ridiculous. The company gets top college grads working in very rote, low-impact roles for months.

2. Compensation is slightly below street compared to similar caliber jobs in Chicago (investment research / management). However, this really depends on negotiating ability and seniority (senior positions very often pay above street).

Advice to Management

1. The client-facing rotation is important but make it shorter. Cap it at 3 months and move on.

2. Pay people at street or higher.

"Experience at Morningstar"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work life balance
    - Low performers are provided by training and coaching.

Cons

- Top heavy - Too many senior managers
    - Senior manager from other company join as a group and force ideas on direct reports
    - Pay parity
    - One employee is managed by three managers (direct, indirect, product). This creates problems in compensation as they quite dont work with the employee and has no idea.

Advice to Management

- Improve on pay parity
    - Reduce top level senior managers
    - Managers require more management trainings
    - Remove the idea of indirect reports.

"Odds and Ends"

Pros

When energetic people worked here
    Sabbatical
    Brand
    Office

Cons

Over the years, the best in breed left and the quality of people declined. it’s become an odds and ends group of quirky fellows. more communication gaps. Never went to games but played video games type. The lifers who remain are content doing the same thing every year with higher than average pay since they’ve been there so long. Good thing going while the new staff complain about low comp and no career pathing.

Advice to Management

You seem more like a board than senior team with your mix of non industry experience with Morningstar only experience. Not sure how unrelated mergers or declining computing vendors adds value here. I was fortunate to work here during the best years and sad to see it’s become another quarterly earnings chaser rather than the innovator and career developer it once was.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good culture, a lot of opportunities to learn

Cons

Need to be more effective