Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love the fact that a work/life balance is always pushed and we are encouraged to take time as needed (in 131 reviews)

• Casual work environment, generous benefits (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay rate and low efficiency (in 34 reviews)

• Way too many people take advantage of "work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

"Associate Product Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morningstar offers a great work/life balance and excellent perks (unlimited PTO, flexible work environment, educational stipend, etc.) It's a relaxed corporate environment (leans more toward a start-up), so you won't find hyper-competitive, cut-throat people here. Most people who work here are smart and capable, but unfortunately the company doesn't pay well enough to keep its talent. Regardless, you'll find smart, driven people in every team.

Cons

No salary mobility, poor compensation, and poor middle-level management. Once Morningstar locks you in at a certain salary, it will be VERY difficult to move up a bracket if you are not in a sales-related role. Though company mobility is possible, do not expect to be paid considerably more even if you are taking a more difficult job.

Middle-level management is very poor - essentially this is a group of people who have been here the longest and had to be promoted at some point. Their direction is unclear and they're the kind of people that leave you wondering how they ever got to their jobs

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly when they move into more difficult roles

Don't let MDPs or new employees host exit interviews, new employee orientations, or other high-profile/important events. This makes everyone look bad, regardless of how professional the person may be. Show that you respect people who are leaving enough to give them an exit interview that makes them feel valued, rather than cast aside with a junior-level employee.

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Good People.

Cons

Lots of "Chiefs" and "Heads".

Advice to Management

Continue to simplify the business. Promote strong people from within.

"Third rate, incestuous upper management steadily erodes competitive position"

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, nice work environment

Cons

Upper management is in over their heads, enriching themselves and protecting each other while neglecting everyone else.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the founder's cronies, they are the root cause of high turnover, terrible acquisitions, poor morale, and groupthink that undermines growth and profitability.

"Marketing mess"

I have been working at Morningstar (More than 3 years)

Pros

People generally mean well and want to do a good job. It's a nice company and I really want it to succeed.

Cons

There is no direction for the marketing team, no clear plans on how to deliver or show tangible results for the company. The team keeps approving the hiring of tenured professionals and no more of others like me to do actual work. Morale is so low.

"SVP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for young professionals to develop and learn. Good benefits. Flagship offerings such as Direct and Office are good. Investment Management offerings are well managed. Great Mission Statement.

Cons

Upside can be limited. Short term oriented at times which could hurt the company in the long run.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you need to take a step back to take several steps forward. Never forget the mission statement and keep the entrepreneurial spirit alive.

"Life as a technologist"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the 5+ years I've worked at Morningstar, I've had the opportunity to work with great people in different tech roles across the company. I've had a lot of fun and experienced many challenges. To be successful at Morningstar, you need to be focused on solving problems (strategy through execution...not just ideas) that deliver value (revenue or cost savings).

It's up to you...If you are comfortable putting yourself in a position to innovate you will be rewarded. As a 30+ year old company, Morningstar cannot rest on it's brand name only. In the last year we have made decisions to simplify and modernize our approach to building applications by providing development teams with a 'paved road' approach that allows each team to leverage tech that is best suited their needs and puts the power of decision back into the hands of developers.

Our tech...The migration from our on-prem data centers to amazon web services is certain to be a challenge, but brings a great deal of opportunity for people looking to work on the latest technology. People are willing to help each other and if you present a business case for change that drives value (revenue or cost savings) you are almost always rewarded. We have multiple products lines that rely on various technologies, there can be challenges getting synced across teams, but also give you the opportunity to work on the tech of you choice (and change the tech you work on regularly…if that’s what you want).

Leadership will listen....Provided you are engaged/willing to tackle an issue. Staring with the CTO, each head of technology has an open door policy. If you are interested in contributing immediately and are willing to reach out and get involved with solving problems, this is a great place to work. If you're looking for someone to guess and cater to your needs, you're going to have a tough time.

A few other notes...
    * heavy emphasis on internal promotion, people are hired from the outside, but there is a generous amount of growth internally
    * work/life balance is as good as it gets
    * extremely respectful work environment -- in a world where headlines in tech revolve around the need for change, Morningstar should be looked to as the gold standard for the progressive, respectful workplace
    * employees extremely willing to help one another
    * it goes without saying but, unlimited PTO is great as is the 6-week paid sabbatical every 4-years

Cons

Change part 1...There's no way around it, from the end of 2015 through early 2017, change has been constant and rough. Different direction from multiple leaders in the business have been difficult to consume and has caused stress and confusion amongst engineers. Are we working on the right thing? What's our priority today? As a technologist, you really need to be committed to working through issues and understanding the needs of the business.

Change part 2...The entire technology leadership team has turned over since the end of 2015. The 1st half of 2016 was especially rough when there wasn't clear leadership/vision across the tech org. With the appointment of the new CTO in late 2016, things have stabilized significantly and we have a clear direction with an increased alignment with product leadership.

Change part 3...We still continue to lose very talented technologists. The tech market is very strong and we have lost several key people to other opportunities. On the upside, for those who stay, there is an opportunity for promotion and the people who have left typically do so for VP or C-level roles.

Compensation...We have work to do on our compensation program. To be rewarded, you need to produce, then ask to be rewarded...in most cases ask multiple times. There is the sense that you need to go out and get an offer in order to prove your market value.

Advice to Management

*Understand there has been enough change...let there be time for implementation.

*Focus on investing in your key initiatives, while budgeting for innovation.

*Proactively update compensation metrics for technologists, understand true market value. A lot of companies have progressive cultures, work/life balance initiatives, unlimited PTO. This can no longer replace base compensation.

Morningstar Response

Jul 16, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for your balanced and thoughtful review. I sincerely appreciate the time and energy you put into providing this feedback. It's hugely useful to me and to readers interested in finding out... More

"Your mileage may vary - need to allow WFH"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, nice location in downtown Chicago, if you get a good manager you are set. The development organization is not really that young here, so if you are an older person it can be very comfortable. Rarely expected to work OT.

Cons

1) Old software architecture - it's like pulling teeth to try to get some unit tests written; 2) Inconsistent processes across and within groups - in my group, development is sort of Agile, business is still waterfall - bad mix; 3) Too much outsourcing oversees, so collaborative development is impossible; 4) Not allowed to work from home regularly.

Advice to Management

1) Allow working from home regularly, there is no reason to force me into 3 hours of commuting; 2) Either go Agile or don't - half way is a bad mix that is very stressful; 3) Hire more local developers - it is impossible to do collaborative development with people 13 hours away.

"Director"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working at Morningstar because the company is so employee driven, but also very much in tune with what our clients need and want. I love the fact that a work/life balance is always pushed and we are encouraged to take time as needed.

Cons

There isn't much for cons other than the pay rate for remote locations. While i understand the cost of living differences, it's hard to pay someone less that is doing the same job only because they live somewhere else.

"Data Research Analyst"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Great people, all kinds of training opportunities available, social events, community service events

Cons

At times can be slow

Advice to Management

Create personalized incentive/bonus structures

"Product Manager"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Flexible vacation policy.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. The odds of raise is slim.