Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay -- While there are decent benefits to help mitigate this fact, the truth is that they are really falling behind here(in 36 reviews)

• "Senior management has no vision about the business and knows nothing about database or data methodologies(in 29 reviews)

"Best Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Sr .QA Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. No micro management 2. Your ideas are accepted 3.Work life balance 4. Excellent benefits 5. Opportunities to learn and implement new stuffs 6.Constant feedbacks

Cons

Commute from suburbs is average 90 mins one way which is affecting time you spend with family. But trying to compensate that with flexible work environment.

Advice to Management

Project managers - Keep the meetings short and sweet.

Morningstar2019-06-18

"Great company with endless opportunities and unequal benefits"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Oakland, MD

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Opportunities for growth are endless if you are motivated and and not afraid to take risks and try new things. The overall culture is amazing and the benefits are unequaled in my experience.

Cons

Sometimes being nimble and bold, which is necessary for continued growth in a large company, can present constant change. If you are not good at dealing with change, this can be a Con. That's the only thing I can really think of, but it's honestly not a con for me.

Morningstar2019-06-18

"PRIDE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I’m proud of Morningstar in all ways. The culture of the company is continuous improvement and innovation. It is my forever work home. I learned every day. And was surrounded by smart, hardworking colleagues. Today I brought some of my new colleagues to the annual pride celebration. They were welcomed as though they had been part of the Morningstar family for many years. It’s truly a special place.

Cons

There are very few cons to working at Morningstar.

Morningstar2019-06-13

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work-life balance is great. Culture is awesome. Everyone is respected and given opportunities to grow. Very open culture, no closed door policy around here. CEO and the senior management are doing a great job in keeping goals very transparent. I have full confidence in the management team of doing a great job.

Cons

Company doesn't let go of employees easily. As a result of this, there are quite a few under performers who tend to affect the morale of others.

Advice to Management

Management should start inculcating a growth mindset at the time of inducting new employees. Also, showing a bit of intolerance to under performance would go a long way in making the company compete better in the market.

Morningstar2019-06-10

"Great company, great values"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, friendly people. Nice work environment. Flexibility. If you're willing to keep learning , there's opportunity for growth and advancement.

Cons

Some great managers, some not so great. As everywhere.

Advice to Management

Don't wait for underlings to complain about their manager. If the manager is bad, team members likely won't risk being found out as the talker. If you want to have more effective teams, make management reviews a part of your quarterly check-ins. Managers give team members things to grow and develop in, but you could also give the team members a safe way to tell HR what they think their manager can grow and change in....

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere Bagel Wednesdays! Work life balance Forward looking Willing to embrace new and emerging technologies Individual contributors can make a difference and are encouraged to make things better

Cons

Pay is not top tier

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Great so far!"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been at Morningstar for less than a year and I have nothing to complain about. There are amazing opportunities to to make an impact as the company continues to grow and evolve. I'm very excited to be a part of the ride!

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

"Surviving by offshoring"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance Investment related benefits Good bonus depending on your unit

Cons

Some business units have 0 vision and plans. Not an ideal place if you want to learn new technologies. Everybody’s withholding information to save their jobs. Would not recommend if you are a mid to senior level engineer who likes to be on top of your game.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your plans every quarter. If the only way you are going to make profit out of a business unit is to lay off your most senior people and offshore, you need a better strategy to survive in the market. Also, stop hiring to do the cleanup job before you handover stuff offshore.

Morningstar2019-06-13

"Great people, culture and benefits make Morningstar a good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Equity Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Work/Life balance -Support for employee initiatives and resource groups -Encouragement of employee development -Health benefits & 401(k) match -Great work atmosphere and coffee options at the office

Cons

-Morningstar is generally quite thrifty with compensation -Communication and motivation from senior leaders could be better -Internal resources need to be improved. General data requests from internal teams take too long to get resolved.

Morningstar2019-05-24

"Dysfunctional Products & Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- casual work environment - friendly coworkers - industry exposure - ethical workplace - solid growth opportunities

Cons

- low pay - little to no communication between product and client needs/sales feedback - company leaders are not practitioners and have low levels of client understanding - too many low-quality products and loss of focus (used to be data but now focusing on so many other aspects of advisor/investor space that product quality suffers) - very little support for sales professionals who are attempting to both support current...

Advice to Management

Minimize the new product innovation and focus on a few main products and make them competitive against our peers in the space (Factset, Orion, Reuters, etc.) Increase pay to be industry average at least Do not punish sales representatives or Client Success managers for the faults of product and poor planning by senior leadership

Morningstar2019-06-05