Morningstar Reviews

4.1
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Finally, readers of these reviews will see a lot about "low pay", but what needs to be understood is Morningstar is not a Technology company(in 47 reviews)

• "The company's cash is spent on acquisitions and overstaffed senior management(in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Relaxed, Thoughtful, Fun Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people by far are one of Morningstar’s great strengths. Everyone is professional, friendly, down to earth, but also intellectually curious, smart, and passionate about their work. It’s a fantastic combination of qualities that make coming to work every day a real joy. The company, as a whole, is also very self-reflective and works hard to learn and grow from any issues that arise and to engage in open conversations with it’s employees.

Cons

No strong cons, the company has grown significantly in a short amount of time which has it’s own set of growing pains. However, as mentioned above there’s a lot of self reflection happening as an organization as well as transparency that goes a long way in sanding down any rough patches.

2. "Mission driven company with opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Product Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Mission and value driven company at all levels -An emphasis on inclusion and outside thinking/perspective -Rewarded and recognized for going above and beyond -Opportunity to change your career path if you've proven yourself and have an interest in a certain area of the business that is hiring

Cons

-Back-filling positions for colleagues who have left is lacking -Salary is not above-average

Continue reading

"Some of the best benefits I've seen"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really good benefits. Unlimited vacation. 100% benefit coverage. Good corporate culture. Really great group to work with.

Cons

Resources are always scarce. Teams that really need the resources never seem to get what they need. If you do more with less, you're not likely to get resources if you're really on a jam.

Continue reading
  4. "Very good for applying technology to make changes for financial data space"

Current Employee - Technical Lead

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Friend and diverse culture, open and good technology team; technology team was empowered to make decision for best products

Cons

Overtime for communication with out-source teams internationally, local barrier from out-source team can be frustration.

5. "Morningstar is a very good company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good for stability and work/life balance.

Cons

Some tech managers or directors basically only know how to talk and pretending know technology . All jobs are actually done by team engineers. It's amazing that they are still in the higher positions.

6. COVID-19

"More Walmart Than Wall Street"

1.0
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

total absence of confrontational behavior, lack of aggressive personalities

Cons

Astute applicants who have gotten this far probably think they know the cons already. You don't. Morningstar is not a place for anyone to reach their potential. For managers, you are expected to sell the concept of low pay, no raises, and minimal resources for the greater good -- as if this was a startup. Convince the team that they don't need what they need nor should receive the wages they deserve. The success of this company rests largely in its ability to underpay and underresource staff. Place them in inadequate, cramped office space. Condition employees not to ask for anything, however important. Basically, the strategy constrains costs to manage turnover to X percent a year. I have yet to find anyone who was gainfully employed at another firm in the same position actually come to Morningstar. It is usually someone who is a job switcher or whose previous position didn't work. My advice to candidates, consider employment on the coasts - even if you live separately from your family for multiple years -- even if the household economics are worse. Working for Morningstar can have a severe, negative impact on your career trajectory that will be difficult to correct later.

Morningstar Response

August 5, 2020Talent and Culture Manager

We’re sorry to hear you didn’t have a satisfying experience at Morningstar. However, there are some concerning and inaccurate statements in your review. It sounds like there’s a gap between your experience and the feedback we receive on a continuous basis from our people around the world. First, our company was built around supporting our people and providing the best opportunities to advance and build a long career and we are especially proud of the many 10, 15 and even 20 year tenured employees, We have very low turnover as a result which speaks to how satisfied our people are working here. And, we think our office space is pretty spectacular! Many of the reviewers here have pointed that out as a benefit they enjoy quite a bit. Creating a modern, open space was something we pioneered, and many leading companies have shifted to this over the years. That said, the reality of COVID-19 and how we work together puts everyone in the position to begin planning how to reconfigure and ensure safety protocols are in place in our offices for the foreseeable future. Our business continuity team has been working around the clock to support our people and reinforce that each employee’s safety comes first. Recent employee survey feedback shows that 97% of the people who have worked in our global offices found the office safe, clean and that Morningstar was well-prepared. Prior to the crisis, our global workplace and design teams were in the process of developing plans for enhancing our space in our largest offices to better support our growing teams and provide well-being areas, private telephone rooms and more. We know that Morningstar is not the right culture and environment for everyone, and we’re sorry it didn’t meet your expectations. We wish you the best of luck in your next career challenge.

7. COVID-19

"Overall well-rounded company"

Current Employee - Accounting

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

-Flexible hours -Great response to COVID -sabbaticals -open work environment

Cons

work/life balance is difficult as new resources are hard to come by

"A truly purpose driven brand"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for more than a year

Pros

- It's a purpose driven company that finds creative and engaging ways to get buy in internally first before taking out to express in the external world - Leadership cares about employee phycological safety on a very deep and meaningful level - A diverse, healthy business with endless growth opportunities across the entire organization - There is a great autonomous culture allowing people to try new things that they believe supports objectives of the business. - It's a flat organization and you get to engage with business leaders everyday. There are no egos and people respect and challenge each other in purpose driven ways.

Cons

A a little bit fiscally conservative when it comes to how much people make.

Continue reading
  9. "Great Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Associate Equity Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits: 401(k) match, health-care, access to Morningstar's product suite, education, CFA stipends, dental, vision, etc. -Learning organization: always encouraging analysts and other employees to get better at their craft, providing a slew of resources to encourage that -Expectations are reasonable, but allow you to take initiative and make changes where you see fit. There are days in any job where you have work that you'd prefer not to have to do, but you have a lot of autonomy right off the bat in setting up your project schedule to maximize results that you see as important for the business

Cons

-Compensation: not a huge deal, but anticipate compensation slightly below market averages

10. "pros and cons"

Current Employee - MDP in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Rotation program, office in the heart of the city, easy interview process, friendly HR

Cons

salary is lesser than what other companies in Chicago are paying

Found 1072 reviews