Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work life balance, good working environment, few good projects for techie (in 117 reviews)

• So much room for growth, very obvious care for clients, energetic and intellectually stimulating work environment (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay (made up for with excellent perks) (in 33 reviews)

• Some senior management guys can hardly communicate in fluent english (in 23 reviews)

"Good company and products, poor management and compensation"

Current Employee - MDP in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MDP in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-well respected company
    -friendly and relaxed atmosphere
    -people often make friends with their colleagues
    -Lots of acquisitions and signs of growth
    -attracts talent from top schools

Cons

-misrepresents MDP program (actively dodges questions regarding the first role, which is almost always being in a call center. HR is emphatic that they are transparent with this but from the experience of every single MDP last summer this is not true and they were not told in the hiring process)
    -little care for "development" aspect. Most client service MDPs are not challenged after a few months and just sit idly by.
    -Placements are need based and the program does a very poor job of matching employees to their desired areas. Very little transparency with the rotational process
    -Low compensation. The MDP salary base has been the same for 8 years and although HR explains that we benchmark based off the financial technology sector, employees doubt this as most of our peers have much higher salaries and bonuses
    -bonus structure is pretty low and fixed thus incentive to go above and beyond is virtually non existent

Advice to Management

Pay more. Offer a competitive bonus scheme. Reshuffle HR to either staff more or replace with people who care about the program.

"Ok, but not great"

Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in Oakland, MD
    Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in Oakland, MD

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours, holidays, co workers, 3 weeks paid vacation

Cons

No room for advancement, to much politics in the office, low pay, extreme workloads

Advice to Management

Treat people like people, stop treating everyone like you can just replace us. Pay us for the job we do. Stop comparing our sales to other jobs in the area, we do much more than the average fast food worker. Stop showing so much favortism to your friends that work there.m

"Beware Marketing Jobs Here"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Brand name, Benefits, Location, Good culture, learn about investing

Cons

No direction
    Weird marketing department structure
    Low bonus pool this year
    High turnover
    Caters to spoiled MDPs
    No one is held accountable

Advice to Management

There is a good reason this place is hiring. Almost all the marketers quit. I would say turnover is 70%. No strategy, or execution. Nobody cares, you're there to serve the brand. With a tiny budget. (If you are successful you won't be rewarded for that either.)
    Bad leadership in the marketing department. They don't have good relationships with people and their ideas are wishful thinking.

My recent exit interview with HR was pathetic. I saw candidates walk after low-ball offers for jobs here. Don't waste your time here if you are over 27 years old.

Morningstar Response

Mar 1, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you were frustrated during your exit and with the changes we have made (and continue to make) to transform Morningstar’s marketing function into a modern ... More

"Reposting of a 2015 review - nothing has changed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*Flexible work environment
    *Nice downtown location
    *Ability to get involved in community programs

Cons

*A bit of a culture of cronyism
    *Nearly impossible to get a promotion unless you are already in a leadership role (I believe Morningstar is trying to address)
    *No accountability (still a BIG problem)
    *Lots of meetings even though there has been a push to limit meetings
    *No appreciation for it's most experienced employees

Advice to Management

Make leadership accountable for poor decisions and delays.
    Encourage the goal to limit meetings and number of attendees in meetings.
    Reduce the number of individuals serving on these committees.
    Promote and reward successes and working above and beyond.
    Remove people from roles they are not succeeding in, really it's OK to let people go, if a manager holds on to a poor performer you need to ask some questions why.
    Provide resources to your biggest projects or they are going to be doomed to fail.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hours are great
    -Vacation policy is top notch
    -Positive culture

Cons

-Morningstar is trying to make a big push to improve performance, however one area that is seemingly unaddressed is management at all levels. It is, at best, mediocre. Managers across all levels of the business either lack the skills or interest in their employees to really be effective. While there are certain exceptions, the norm is incompetency.
    -Frankness: rarely is the company message frank, rather fluffy
    -HR is a joke
    -The pay is low
    -Tech is bad, probably because mgmt does not want to pay for good technology
    -Advancement opportunities are scarce
    -Research is too conservative

Advice to Management

Train your managers

"I enjoyed working there"

Pros

Morning star was a great place for learning.

Cons

The pay really suck and is low.

"Trending downward"

Pros

I would say that I've worked with great people, and the culture is good. The Sabbatical benefit is also a great benefit.

Cons

Low pay
    Management cares more about maintaining large margins rather than hiring enough staff or reasonable pay
    Sinking Ship
    M

Advice to Management

Hire more people
    Pay people fairly

"Former MDP"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, decent benefits and time off policy, other employees are generally fun to hang out with and easy to work with.

Cons

Very poor compensation, upper management is extremely bureaucratic and political, quality of mid-management personnel is weak, and most of the all the company does not offer a real career path (internally or externally) for the young employees it hires. The company also does not have much of a strategic direction, and the low growth the company has experienced over the past 5 years is evidence of this.

Advice to Management

Don't have much advice - I think the company is stuck. Probably the most important thing would be to increase investment in technology headcount/talent.

"Technology Needs Work"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Good benefits, nice people, beautiful office, free coffee/soda, bagels on Wednesdays, lots of learning & development opportunities.

Cons

People don't take advantage of or feel guilty using the vacation perks. For a company this size, and one that builds software, the IT infrastructure is shockingly bad. The WiFi is almost always slow or spotty, which interrupts workflows. There is no hands-on IT training or onboarding for new employees. It's a very "do-it-yourself" attitude, which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Invest in your tech infrastructure and do a rigorous IT onboarding for new hires.

"Not the worst but could be better"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

They offer decent benefits for this area, and they have some perks. There is a lot of training opportunities and advancement available.

Cons

Most of the perks are focused on the Chicago office, same goes for the salary (they say cost of living but I'm not buying it). Plus there aren't as many advancement opportunities, and the hours aren't good for raising a family.

Advice to Management

Make the salary equal between locations, and expect the same from all employees regardless of location. Also a decent raise would be nice for the amount of effort given to keep teams motivated.