Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 21, 2017

Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Morningstar is awesome (in 145 reviews)

• Casual work environment, generous benefits (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many people take advantage of "work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• Some senior management guys can hardly communicate in fluent english (in 26 reviews)

"Star Rating Decline for the Marketing Team"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Morningstar has great benefits, great people, and leadership that is very approachable. Want to give back to the community? There are a ton of ways to get involved during the workday and management encourages that you do so. There are a lot of wonderful things about working here: the location, 401 (k), and mentorship from executives. Morningstar is one of those places that treats its employees like family and wants to keep people for the long-term.

Cons

Compensation is low, which is not an industry secret. Yes, there are trade-offs to unlimited vacation and flexible work-life balance. However, most employees don't mind the low comp, what they mind, is the culture of retaining employees to the point of ridiculousness.

Go anywhere in Morningstar and there is someone that has been around for a long time, frequently makes mistakes, pushes work off onto others, and is promoted for their tenure over people with the skill set needed for the role. Many moves happen here, as HR is wise enough not to promote these people on their current teams, but move them elsewhere to a team that is unaware of the issues at hand.

There is also no rhyme or reason for the promotion of many employees, at least within the Marketing department. We've lost in the double-digits of people since January of last year and none of these people have been replaced. Instead we are getting tons of new Marketing execs, but no one to take on the workload of those departing. There is no middle-management in Marketing, and while some teams have been operating on a skeleton crew for over a year at this point with no backfill, budget, or recognition for their work, the Inbound Marketing Team, who has lost no one, and has absorbed employees from other teams, and promoted 5 people in a span of less than a month. Few of these people have been in the department for a fraction of the tenure of other people with their titles, and one promotion was given to an individual that frequently makes mistakes that negatively impact our ROI and consumer experience. Additionally, these roles were not listed on our company workday site for others to apply to.

The reasoning behind these promotions? Many of these people came over from HelloWallet, and CMO, Rob Pinkerton, plays favorites. Things like this are behind the departures of many long-term Morningstar employees, who are sick of being told how to do their job by someone with no experience in Marketing, that frequently calls out the importance of millenials to market to (we are a financial firm whose target audience is NOT a millenial), and that won't address the feedback he is getting on Glassdoor with his team.

This is a great place to work, just not in Marketing, unless you are on the Inbound Team.

Advice to Management

We aren't dumb, we read the reviews, and we know who has written them. They are not all from one person, they are from the nearly 20 people that have left since January. Sure, some of them could have been nicer, calling Rob a "snake-oil salesman" was extreme and untrue, but you need to address this with your employees. The department is falling apart and management needs to step-in. Ask the remaining people why they are still there and why they would leave/are looking, because people are unhappy, and anyone that isn't on Inbound, that has been in the department for over a year will tell you that they are at wits end.

"Good company, poor bonuses"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Morningstar has a great mission in trying to help investors. The atmosphere is friendly and collaborative.

Cons

The big challenge relates to pay. I have been at Morningstar for 5 years and the company never seems to pay its bonus at target. They always have the same story that results are not up to expectations so the bonus will not be paid out fully. They were close one year, but not quite there. The last time I saw my bonus target was on my offer letter. If you are considering working here, keep this in mind.

Advice to Management

Be honest about the expectations on the compensation side.

3. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Morningstar as an intern

Pros

Professional rating services for fund. Got insights from fund industry. Hours is good.

Cons

Pay is not attractive. Limited career exposure.

"VP Institutional Sales"

Former Employee - Vice President Institutional Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President Institutional Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, good culture overall. Good environment for those early in their careers. Process oriented which can be a benefit in non sales roles

Cons

Undefined Product Strategy Can be challenging to execute but it depends on department. Some are better than others. Turnover appeared to be high. Salaries could be more competitive

"Third rate, incestuous upper management steadily erodes competitive position"

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Smart people, great benefits, nice work environment

Cons

Upper management is in over their heads, enriching themselves and protecting each other while neglecting everyone else.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the founder's cronies, they are the root cause of high turnover, terrible acquisitions, poor morale, and groupthink that undermines growth and profitability.

"Quantitative research"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance and corporation culture is good

Cons

Skillsets are a bit outdated

Advice to Management

not now

"SVP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for young professionals to develop and learn. Good benefits. Flagship offerings such as Direct and Office are good. Investment Management offerings are well managed. Great Mission Statement.

Cons

Upside can be limited. Short term oriented at times which could hurt the company in the long run.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you need to take a step back to take several steps forward. Never forget the mission statement and keep the entrepreneurial spirit alive.

"Product Manager"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Flexible vacation policy.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. The odds of raise is slim.

"Equity Analyst at Morningstar"

I worked at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Generous benefits including healthcare and insuance.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

"Good Work-Life Balance; Lackadaisical Culture"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Morningstar's greatest advantage is also it's greatest weakness--the company takes good care of its employees in "soft" ways like work-life balance, flexible schedules and vacation time, and 6-week paid sabbaticals every four years. It is very difficult to get fired, and the company went out of its way to avoid layoffs even in the Great Recession. Basically, it's the "government job" of finance and investing. A good place to work if you want a steady gig, are not too ambitious, are just trying to get your foot in the door, and/or have other priorities in life (like family, traveling).

Cons

Compensation tends to be well below the market--if you're talented and hard-working, you can almost definitely make more elsewhere. This results in relatively high turnover among the best employees. Those who stick around generally fall in one of two camps. The majority are mediocre employees who are just passing time, sometimes going years without producing anything of value. Then there's a smaller group of very talented, long-term employees who have stayed because they value work-life balance over money or career advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay your best people more and be willing to fire people who are just dead weight. There's a lot of fat that could be cut in operational and support functions. Consider outsourcing all IT and software development. It's not our core competency, and other firms could do it better and faster than we can.