Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love the fact that a work/life balance is always pushed and we are encouraged to take time as needed (in 136 reviews)

• Casual work environment, generous benefits (in 73 reviews)

Cons

"Project Manager - Agile"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. You are always learning and collaborating with smart coworkers. Good work life balance, great culture and benefits

Cons

Middle management needs improvement. Salary is not up to the market rate.

2. "Data intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Morningstar as an intern

Pros

Though it depends on your superiors, my boss went out of his way to teach me.

Cons

Can sometimes have tedious uninteresting work.

"Associate Product Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morningstar offers a great work/life balance and excellent perks (unlimited PTO, flexible work environment, educational stipend, etc.) It's a relaxed corporate environment (leans more toward a start-up), so you won't find hyper-competitive, cut-throat people here. Most people who work here are smart and capable, but unfortunately the company doesn't pay well enough to keep its talent. Regardless, you'll find smart, driven people in every team.

Cons

No salary mobility, poor compensation, and poor middle-level management. Once Morningstar locks you in at a certain salary, it will be VERY difficult to move up a bracket if you are not in a sales-related role. Though company mobility is possible, do not expect to be paid considerably more even if you are taking a more difficult job.

Middle-level management is very poor - essentially this is a group of people who have been here the longest and had to be promoted at some point. Their direction is unclear and they're the kind of people that leave you wondering how they ever got to their jobs

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly when they move into more difficult roles

Don't let MDPs or new employees host exit interviews, new employee orientations, or other high-profile/important events. This makes everyone look bad, regardless of how professional the person may be. Show that you respect people who are leaving enough to give them an exit interview that makes them feel valued, rather than cast aside with a junior-level employee.

Morningstar Response

Aug 21, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing the thoughtful and balanced feedback. I’m glad you recognize the many positive aspects of Morningstar, including our people and our workplace culture. I also think your criticisms... More

4. "intern life"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Morningstar as an intern

Pros

flexibility to the work time

Cons

low pay rate and low efficiency

"Life as a technologist"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the 5+ years I've worked at Morningstar, I've had the opportunity to work with great people in different tech roles across the company. I've had a lot of fun and experienced many challenges. To be successful at Morningstar, you need to be focused on solving problems (strategy through execution...not just ideas) that deliver value (revenue or cost savings).

It's up to you...If you are comfortable putting yourself in a position to innovate you will be rewarded. As a 30+ year old company, Morningstar cannot rest on it's brand name only. In the last year we have made decisions to simplify and modernize our approach to building applications by providing development teams with a 'paved road' approach that allows each team to leverage tech that is best suited their needs and puts the power of decision back into the hands of developers.

Our tech...The migration from our on-prem data centers to amazon web services is certain to be a challenge, but brings a great deal of opportunity for people looking to work on the latest technology. People are willing to help each other and if you present a business case for change that drives value (revenue or cost savings) you are almost always rewarded. We have multiple products lines that rely on various technologies, there can be challenges getting synced across teams, but also give you the opportunity to work on the tech of you choice (and change the tech you work on regularly…if that’s what you want).

Leadership will listen....Provided you are engaged/willing to tackle an issue. Staring with the CTO, each head of technology has an open door policy. If you are interested in contributing immediately and are willing to reach out and get involved with solving problems, this is a great place to work. If you're looking for someone to guess and cater to your needs, you're going to have a tough time.

A few other notes...
    * heavy emphasis on internal promotion, people are hired from the outside, but there is a generous amount of growth internally
    * work/life balance is as good as it gets
    * extremely respectful work environment -- in a world where headlines in tech revolve around the need for change, Morningstar should be looked to as the gold standard for the progressive, respectful workplace
    * employees extremely willing to help one another
    * it goes without saying but, unlimited PTO is great as is the 6-week paid sabbatical every 4-years

Cons

Change part 1...There's no way around it, from the end of 2015 through early 2017, change has been constant and rough. Different direction from multiple leaders in the business have been difficult to consume and has caused stress and confusion amongst engineers. Are we working on the right thing? What's our priority today? As a technologist, you really need to be committed to working through issues and understanding the needs of the business.

Change part 2...The entire technology leadership team has turned over since the end of 2015. The 1st half of 2016 was especially rough when there wasn't clear leadership/vision across the tech org. With the appointment of the new CTO in late 2016, things have stabilized significantly and we have a clear direction with an increased alignment with product leadership.

Change part 3...We still continue to lose very talented technologists. The tech market is very strong and we have lost several key people to other opportunities. On the upside, for those who stay, there is an opportunity for promotion and the people who have left typically do so for VP or C-level roles.

Compensation...We have work to do on our compensation program. To be rewarded, you need to produce, then ask to be rewarded...in most cases ask multiple times. There is the sense that you need to go out and get an offer in order to prove your market value.

Advice to Management

*Understand there has been enough change...let there be time for implementation.

*Focus on investing in your key initiatives, while budgeting for innovation.

*Proactively update compensation metrics for technologists, understand true market value. A lot of companies have progressive cultures, work/life balance initiatives, unlimited PTO. This can no longer replace base compensation.

Morningstar Response

Jul 16, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for your balanced and thoughtful review. I sincerely appreciate the time and energy you put into providing this feedback. It's hugely useful to me and to readers interested in finding out... More

"Great culture and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission, bright energetic and friendly people, comfortable open work environment, constantly trying to improve, good benefits, decent pay

Cons

Needs to hone it's focus and drive more intensity from the team. Maybe a little too comfortable.

Advice to Management

Turn up the heat. Clarify the business focus and help eliminate distractions. Inspire the team with crisp direction and action.

"Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Manual Tester in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manual Tester in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best product company in financial research sector.goog work life balance

Cons

Poor management , no onsite opportunity

Advice to Management

Nothing as such

"Good Company"

Pros

Good benefits with lot of vacations, but lot of people misuse it if you have a thick face. Have sabbatical every four years.

Cons

Inefficient with a lot of people just talking and managing people without understanding business logical. Lack of transparency and pay is lower than market.

Advice to Management

Need to keep employees happy and cut down bull****

"A solid place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, work life balance, lots of empowerment and responsibility. High degree of autonomy is given to employees who perform well. Continued professional education is encouraged and sponsored.

Cons

Extra effort will not be immediately recognized by increased compensation. As Morningstar's flexible work environment becomes more common in the industry, employees may no longer need to make the trade-off between a good workplace and middle-of-the-road compensation.

"Solid values, consistent business"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open atmosphere, sincere and committed management, excellent brand and reputation, good corporate ethics and values.

Cons

Could have more management discipline; too many redundancies in product development initiatives; duplication of efforts.

Advice to Management

Get more people involved in planning and direction. No one but a select few know the overall plan.