Morningstar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Pros
  • Good work life balance, good working environment, few good projects for techie (in 118 reviews)

• So much room for growth, very obvious care for clients, energetic and intellectually stimulating work environment (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay (made up for with excellent perks) (in 34 reviews)

• Some senior management guys can hardly communicate in fluent english (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company and culture, committed to improving"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morningstar is a great place to work.

It sets itself apart in the financial services industry by genuinely supporting and developing a long-term, investor first approach. This is shockingly rare and deserves praise. This is a place where ideas win. For a firm with ~5k staff, it's fairly flat and it's easy to pitch ideas that will significantly improve the business.

It has a great friendly, candid culture that many will find a rewarding and refreshing environment to work within. This is a company that cares about its team.

Kunal, the recently appointed CEO, is an impressive leader and has very sensible plans for the company's future.

There's recently been a refresh of several key executive positions (marketing, tech, product) and a renewed focus on driving a performance culture. My sense is that Morningstar under Kunal will retain all the stuff that has made it great but he'll take a more aggressive approach to addressing some of our shortcomings. These are all welcome changes and help ensure the Morningstar of tomorrow will be better equipped to continue winning in the marketplace.

Cons

No company is perfect and Morningstar has areas to work on. As with any global firm there's a constant battle between global and local priorities, and we have work to do reduce tech debt and better enable teams to get on with their important work of solving real investor problems.

Advice to Management

Continue working on cutting bureaucracy, focusing our strategy (we have too many products), empowering teams, improving rewards, driving an investor mindset throughout the organisation, improving technology (team and personal), refreshing the talent pool (double down on employee development), and allowing teams to focus on the top 2-3 activities that'll make a real difference.

Apr 13, 2017 – CEO, Morningstar Australasia

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtful insights. I couldn’t agree more with your perspective, including your constructive criticisms and advice. I can say with confidence we’re working hard to ... More

2. "lazy environment, careless management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It used to be intensive and productive.

Cons

1. while many companies try to make the organization flat, M* has created so many C level positions, which people do not understand the meaning of these title. This only distance people not make people close.
    2. M* has been having problem with finding effective technical leaders from C level to lower level. Friends with no leadership were hired. Previous CTO had no courage to implement his plan. Current leadership has no plan on important issues.
    3. Some teams have more management people than doers. Everyone sees but no one does anything about it. Instead of cutting, M* is still trying to hire. The way of doing IT work makes the company over staffed.
    4. some managers have no technical skills to do their job. They are good at meet their bosses half way. No technical managers can not manage technical teams. If you are technical but not good with show off your skills, hard to survive here. they live easy and good life here
    5. Pay rate for engineers are low. People who transferred from offshore and have been working for the company for more than 5 years, their salary is lower than people who are hired in US with almost no technical experiences.

Advice to Management

Make less showoff meetings, that's only good to cheat your boss not your team members. Reorg in a positive way, solve the overstaffed employee and management issue.

"Morningstar review"

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Sabbatical, unlimited vacation days, 401K Match, Education stipends & Flexibility.

Cons

Raises, compensation, product development, organization & promotions

"Good Company"

Pros

Good benefits with lot of vacations, but lot of people misuse it if you have a thick face. Have sabbatical every four years.

Cons

Inefficient with a lot of people just talking and managing people without understanding business logical. Lack of transparency and pay is lower than market.

Advice to Management

Need to keep employees happy and cut down bull****

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, relaxed culture, good management.

Cons

Pay increases not the best.

"Benefits betters in the Chicagco office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Open communication, easy to gain access to senior management.

Cons

Benefits much better in the Chicago office (sabbaticals for example, which don't exist in the UK office). Not enough invetstment in some key products (such as the websites).

Advice to Management

Flatten out tenure benefits so other global employees are rewarded for terms of service as well as the US employees.

"Big company with few good employees"

Former Employee - Executive in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Executive in Mumbai (India)

Pros

Few good policies like flexi hours.

Cons

There are few managers who have been selected by their respective heads because they share mother tongue or because they know that language, after coming on board they speak in their language at office so that others don't understand . How can one expect productivity from such managers who have been selected because of mother tongue leave apart the negativity this kind of biased attitude spreads.

Advice to Management

No advice

"A solid place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, work life balance, lots of empowerment and responsibility. High degree of autonomy is given to employees who perform well. Continued professional education is encouraged and sponsored.

Cons

Extra effort will not be immediately recognized by increased compensation. As Morningstar's flexible work environment becomes more common in the industry, employees may no longer need to make the trade-off between a good workplace and middle-of-the-road compensation.

"Company breaks Labor Laws"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office. That's it. More cons than pros.

Cons

Low pay.
    Morningstar's pay is among the lowest and the raises are 1-2% a year. Management blames employees and claims it is because of performance, but then employees talk and discuss and it comes out that everyone got the same raise. So everyone had performance issues? Doesn't HR read these reviews?

Dishonest HR
    Someone below talked about how Asian workers did not get promotions and HR replied that the rates are same. This is nonsense. I had several Asian employees in my team and they all were frustrated for the same reason. I was friendly with them so they confided to me that they could not switch groups easily but non-Asians just seemed to move from role to role each year. I began to observe this and I had reason to believe that this was true to a large extent. The template seemed to be that if a non-Asian had a role and left, Asians would not be considered for that role. If an Asian person left, then other Asians had a chance at that role.

Breaking Labor Laws
    Here's a biggie. Some years ago, I applied to an position that was advertised. As I was an employee, I could see the HR person and emailed her directly. She replied saying that the position was not a real one and that it was posted for immigration purposes! She said this in an email! I was shocked that a company like Morningstar would break labor laws so blatantly. I did not blow the whistle, but I have that email with me. I hope President Trump cracks down on these illegal and unethical practices. I am sure HR will come out and deny it and quote some facts and figures. This happened to me so it is true.

Advice to Management

Pay people market rate. Clean out the politicians in the company.

Apr 5, 2017 – CHRO

Ouch, these are some very serious allegations. While we believe there are inaccuracies and some missing context in the content of your post, I would very much like to understand your observations and ... More

"Weak and Incompetent IT Leaders"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good coffee machines in place

Cons

Senior IT leaderships used to be responsible and hardworking. They produced competitive products. But lT leadership has become weak and weaker recent years in Chicago and offshore offices. They try hard to be good politicians but showed no ability and intention to make Morningstar an ethical, healthy, innovative working environment. Hiring friends with no technical skills, meaningless technical town hall meeting to show off things not important, laid back managers with no technical skills, making overseas business trips as their personal vacations and hangovers, Weak leadership builds weak teams. The good old days are gone...

Advice to Management

hire people with strong leadership skills, reduces the number of laid back managers, we are building software many small startup can do but with horrible quality, cutting bad managers above market pay to compensate many of severely below market paid engineers..

Apr 1, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Ow. Since you took the time to write this scathing review, I have to assume that you're not happy at Morningstar, that you feel no one in technology leadership will listen to you, and that you feel ... More