Morningstar Reviews in Sydney | Glassdoor

4.5
Morningstar CEO Kunal Kapoor
Kunal Kapoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I love the fact that a work/life balance is always pushed and we are encouraged to take time as needed (in 131 reviews)

• Casual work environment, generous benefits (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay rate and low efficiency (in 34 reviews)

• Way too many people take advantage of "work/life balance" (in 12 reviews)

"Morningstar Feedback"

Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Equity Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clever people, down to earth, humble, ability to innovate, freedom to pursue your own research ideas.

Cons

Managing different client groups with different expectations.

Advice to Management

Generally happy with the direction the business is headed.

"Morningstar"

Current Employee - Shared Services in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Shared Services in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

I don't have a background in finance, so was initially unsure about considering a role in financial services. Morningstar is different. It's highly ethical and is full of smart people who collaborate together. It's the kind of culture that strives to hire people with different backgrounds, perspectives, interests, and areas of expertise. I've been given the opportunity to move around the company, try new things, even move across the globe. Morningstar goes out of its way to retain committed, hard-working, and engaged staff who believe in its mission to help investors of all shapes and sizes.

Cons

Every company has its worts, but Morningstar's pale in comparison. Our structure is complex, and our scope is vast; these realities do create some challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep leading by example. Your actions and words influence our motivation more than you know.

"Good people doing good work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time

Pros

Morningstar has a strong culture of putting investor's first. They do not operate in conflicting business lines (like vertically integrated players).

The combination of all of the different business units is fascinating. The ability for investment professionals to work side by side with software developers for instance is awesome. Software developers get great feedback and the investment professionals ultimately receive more useful software.

Cons

A company with diverse business units also has some cons. Sometimes it is hard to get focus on your unit for example. Sometimes things move slower than you would like.

Advice to Management

I also note the inclusive and friendly management style of senior executives. Always happy to talk to you and share their insights. Keep this up, its great!

"Great company and culture, committed to improving"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Morningstar is a great place to work.

It sets itself apart in the financial services industry by genuinely supporting and developing a long-term, investor first approach. This is shockingly rare and deserves praise. This is a place where ideas win. For a firm with ~5k staff, it's fairly flat and it's easy to pitch ideas that will significantly improve the business.

It has a great friendly, candid culture that many will find a rewarding and refreshing environment to work within. This is a company that cares about its team.

Kunal, the recently appointed CEO, is an impressive leader and has very sensible plans for the company's future.

There's recently been a refresh of several key executive positions (marketing, tech, product) and a renewed focus on driving a performance culture. My sense is that Morningstar under Kunal will retain all the stuff that has made it great but he'll take a more aggressive approach to addressing some of our shortcomings. These are all welcome changes and help ensure the Morningstar of tomorrow will be better equipped to continue winning in the marketplace.

Cons

No company is perfect and Morningstar has areas to work on. As with any global firm there's a constant battle between global and local priorities, and we have work to do reduce tech debt and better enable teams to get on with their important work of solving real investor problems.

Advice to Management

Continue working on cutting bureaucracy, focusing our strategy (we have too many products), empowering teams, improving rewards, driving an investor mindset throughout the organisation, improving technology (team and personal), refreshing the talent pool (double down on employee development), and allowing teams to focus on the top 2-3 activities that'll make a real difference.

Apr 13, 2017 – CEO, Morningstar Australasia

Thanks for your kind words and thoughtful insights. I couldn’t agree more with your perspective, including your constructive criticisms and advice. I can say with confidence we’re working hard to... More

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There were a few nice people in technology area but unfortunately it seems like they all gone.

Cons

Software & technology is not up to date. No ways to learn something new. People are divided in two categories: white & blue collars.

Advice to Management

Replace the technology management ASAP.

Feb 11, 2017 – Chief Technology Officer

Thank you for your comments. We're always looking for feedback to help us make Morningstar better and our technology organization stronger. I'd like to address your points of concern... More

"Summer Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Intern in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Morningstar (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Open management style

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

None

"Morningstar Australia"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Morningstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Investors first focus. Research is not paid for by investment firms so independence is valued. They have free fruit and tea and coffee. Great place to start a career get some experience, but then get out

Cons

Touts Technology, Design, and Research as its three core strengths. Only one is true: research. Design has been stagnant for many years and has only just started UX design which is a fail for a company who sells online and mobile products. Technology is way behind competitors and has moved offshore, leaving many highly skilled developers in limited roles without any skills development, team structure or support . HR is a joke, and is mainly in place to survey employees for possible litigation against the company and stall, diminish and deflect where necessary. Bullying and sexism is rife.
    Pay is low compared to market, and promotion non existent unless you move to the head office on Chicago. There has been a mass exit of loyal employees which speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and provide clear career development and training. Placing all perks at manager's discretion leads to political backstabbing, inequity and low office morale. Offer transparency in management goals and bonus schemes. your 'great place to work' plan is just limp PR unless you actually do the work to make it so.

Jul 18, 2016 – CEO, Morningstar Australasia

Thank you for sharing your opinions. I’m sorry if your experience at Morningstar left you feeling unsatisfied. I’m glad, nonetheless, that you recognise the quality and independence of our research... More

"Great company, Great leaders, Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Withheld in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Withheld in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Company very mission driven and investor-centric. Not afraid to stand up for what's right.

CEO is the founder (30+ years!) and an inspirational leader.

Fairly flat org structure and open office plans means senior leaders are accessible.

Global mindset is increasing and rollout of agile working methods are helping cross-functional collaboration and pace of change.

Very few cross-functional/divisional barriers to getting things done.

Australia team is a good way through a really positive cultural shift.

Cons

Significant opportunities exist to develop new strategies and market opportunities on the back of technology consolidation. Much of which is underway, and accelerating, but frustration at some legacy systems/processes that still exist can creep in.

Benefits vary, in some cases quite significantly, across regional offices.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology; outsource more functions (eg public cloud technology). Hire a visionary tech leader as we've done with some other C-level functions. Fix remaining pockets of sub-culture.

"Morningstar Australia"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

Strong Ethics
    Investor first focused organisation
    Vibrant, dynamic, clever employees
    Impressive CEO who has great vision.

Cons

Heavy on senior management.
    Decisions don't happen overnight ( Primarily made out of the U.S.)
    Political at the top which has negative impact on the energy of the office
    Lacks career progression opportunities
    HR is unapproachable and highly unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Changes need to happen in HR.
    Behaviour and politics at mid management level is unattractive and is effecting the moral of teams.

"Sydney Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative. Entrepreneurship. Career opportunities. Travel opportunities. Great location and offices.

Cons

Not the casual culture they all speak of in Chicago. Stiff. Trying too hard to be like other finance companies, little is it known that other finance companies value personality, here not so much.
    Some 'heads of departments' drive this culture and are living breathing robots.

Advice to Management

It is okay to be a human. Use motivation as a driver, not scare-factor.