Morphotek Reviews in Exton, PA | Glassdoor

Exton, PA

3.6
Nicholas C. Nicolaides

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun place to work, future uncertain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I have been working at Morphotek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, flex in times, excellent pay and benefits, company bbqs and ice cream

Cons

Not enough work to keep busy. Uncertainty in future product success. Poort performers are not terminated, but enabled.

2. "Sr. Accounts Payable Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Morphotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Accounting Manager was excellent

Cons

Nothing further to state good company

Advice to Management

None

3. "Senior Supply Chain Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Supply Chain Analyst in Exton, PA

I worked at Morphotek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Communication, Teamwork, Support, Integrity

Cons

Lay off in March was unexpected. Directed by parent company, Eisai.

Advice to Management

Stay on target walking the talk

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Pros

After being out on the workforce and employed by various companies, Morphotek is by far the best company to work for. It offers competitive pay, generous benefits, flexible work schedule to balance your work and personal life. There are many amenities and social functions for employees to interact with one another who work in different departments. The culture is team and family oriented. Many intelligent people with various educational, scientific, and business backgrounds.

Cons

Too much gossip and assumptions that are untrue and have no fact behind them. Some employees feed negativity to others and they don't understand the whole picture, and why things are the way they are. Morphotek is a wholly owned subsidiary of a Japanese Pharmaceutical company who calls the shots. Budgets have been slashed, and unfortunately people were let go, and hiring freezes were initiated. Contractors were prohibited from becoming permanent employees due to budget constraints. Some departments were permitted to convert contractors to F/T and also hire externally depending on the company goals and objectives that depended on those positions to achieve the goals. Not all employees and contractors understand why certain individuals were hired and others were not. Funds are micromanaged by the parent company. Employees should understand that costs have a different impact when disbursed for capital expenditures vs operating costs. Employees ask why are funds spent on renovations and not the science? The answer is simple, capital costs do not affect earnings per share but operating costs do. Many people do not understand why businesses do what they do because they are not privy to all the details.

Advice to Management

Cut back on the social functions and amenities. Communicate more to the employees and have more of a presence even though times are tough.

5. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I have been working at Morphotek full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life balance, talented scientists.

Cons

lack of transparency. Even though small company, silos exist. Reward and Recognition is dependent on which department you work in. Lack of long term vision. Too

6. "Now what?"

Former Employee - Clinical Research in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research in Exton, PA

I worked at Morphotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I read the reviews about how great it is to work at Morphotek and I agree. Got to work from home at least one day a week. They buy lunch sometimes and have lots of fun things to do during the day like pool and foozeball. But we start to wonder if that's because there really isn't anything much to do any more. It's great if you want an easy day with good pay. It's owned by a bigger company from Japan now so that might provide more stability for what was once a small company. Easy to get to. Benefits are same as a big pharmaceutical company. Vacation given is pretty good. The people are good and some smart people work there. The CEO tries to keep people happy by having fun events during the day.

Cons

...but how long can the company last? It's public knowledge that the clinical trials have failed. Employees want to hear what is next so they will decide to stay. The pay practices and promotion processes seem based on who is liked by senior people and don't seem based on how well you do. It's a big concern to me that there have been so many laid off and not replaced in the past few months. Budgets have been slashed. We needed to hear a positive message. Why is the CEO always working from home?

Advice to Management

put away the "suggestion boxes" you have put up and set up some one on one meetings to ask people what they think. tell us what's going on so good people might stay. give us the real deal on what is happening. be visible and transparent.

7. "Takes care of its own... if you are a FTE"

Former Contractor - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA
    Former Contractor - Biochemistry Development Technician in Exton, PA

I worked at Morphotek as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

In general the people are great, small company politics as usual are a positive and negative. Day to day perks like company-wide activities and happy hours. Frustrations with being a contractor (see "cons") at least were not part of daily lab work; same responsibilities as my FTE peers, same recognition within the group (until it came to compensation or training / travel).

Cons

Was hired in 2010 as a contractor (through Aerotek), made the same hourly rate over the 2.5 yrs I spent at the company. A hiring freeze was initiated within a few months of my start date, so the "we always convert to FTE within 6-12 months" turned into a "sorry, we would if we could, but we won't". I watched my fellow contractors leave out of frustration one by one, until it was my turn to say goodbye too. Upper management made it clear through their actions / policies that contractors (with the same years of experience within the company) were not considered equal to FTEs.

Advice to Management

Recognize that your hard-working contractors are fully aware they are being treated like second class employees. A welcome change would be built in salary increases after say... 2 years of faithful service as a contractor. Or just hire them already.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Exton, PA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Exton, PA

I have been working at Morphotek as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, awesome boss, and friendly co-workers. The salary is good for the type of work and hours, M-F 8a-5p. The lab I work in is state of the art with the latest equipment. My department is small and my team is the best.

Cons

I have to take 76 to get to and from work and traffic is terrible. There is a hiring freeze and I am hopeful it will be lifted so I can be brought on as a full-time employee.

Advice to Management

Hire people full time as apposed to contract so we don't lose them to other companies.