Morries Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Karl Schmidt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great schedule, awesome people , love the culture, company is growing and healthy (in 5 reviews)

• Buy Happy isn't just our motto, it's a lifestyle that we embody as a company and it shows in the work environment I've been so lucky to work in (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • As always, the car dealership industry demands long hours, including your weekends (in 5 reviews)

• Young growing company experiencing some growing pains but your input is always welcome (in 3 reviews)

1. "Continuous daily enjoyment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyable atmosphere, different tasks daily, meeting new people. Possibility for advancement within.

Cons

Nothing to put here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, Karl is great to work for and I know he and Fremont have the company as well as employees best interests in mind.

Oct 30, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the enthusiastic endorsement. The kind words are appreciated. we will keep grinding away to make Morrie's better every day. Regards, KS/ CEO of MAG

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Positive work environment with opportunity to develop a long lasting career in a stable environment. As a 25 plus year employee I have enjoyed a robust career filled with something new to look forward to everyday.

Cons

I have no negative comments

"Company as a whole is good. The store I was at was ok at best. Management in general is ok."

I worked at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company likes to promote from within first. The positive atmosphere and employees seem over all happy.

Cons

It is hard to learn another position if you are the only one doing your current job, so often you are stuck where you are at unless you either already have experience in other positions within the dealership group, or leave for another company to gain that experience, and then come back. This is more true for the luxury store than the others though, from my experiences with a few locations.

Communication is not the greatest around Cadillac and Luxury, the main two i was at. Management seems to think some of the employees can read minds, then when mistakes happen, the employee gets chewed out.

Advice to Management

If a person shows an interest in learning another position, even if they have no experience, why wouldn't you allow some time for that person to learn a little at a time, over time? Doesn't mean you HAVE to promote them. There isn't a tuition reimbursement program with the company so another option could be on-the-job learning. This way you can draw from a larger talent pool for all positions when you want to expand again or even to fill in for each other.

Making them use their own personal computers just to do their job isn't professional, especially when it wasn't in their terms of employment. Other dealership groups don't do this. If you intentionally make it hard for someone to do their own job they were hired to do, it won't be long before they don't want to do it anymore out of frustration and the fact that management seems to not care.

Oct 10, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry that you felt as though you were not afforded the opportunity to learn a new position and grow both personally and professionally. I will admit that we have... More

4. "Fun!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are people here that actually care about you. No matter what your role is, you get respect from everyone, you get your own business card, you are included in the training with all other employees so you get to know what the other departments do as well as improving your own skills. There is just a supportive and happy vibe here all the time!

Cons

I can't really think of the cons right now. I really do think Morrie's is a great company.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, mentoring, and encouraging like you already do!

Aug 23, 2017 – CEO

I appreciate the kind words. We truly do strive to make people's lives better through work. I am thrilled that you are happy. KS/CEO

5. "Wonderful to work at, for the most part."

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Excellent company atmosphere. The company is growing and the new owners are more than fine with investing where it is needed to be the best in the businesses. The people who work at the two locations I office out of are generally all fun, good people and easy-going. There are no catty cliques and it is clear that most people here enjoy what they do. Management and employees are pretty consistent, even for a dealership group which anyone who has worked in the industry knows it is somewhat nomadic in nature with turnover higher than the average employment industry. People here seem to want to stick around and have a sense of loyalty.

Cons

Sometimes changes that the store general managers make do not get implemented long enough to see if the changes work for the better or worse. Consistency is a little tough. Often the changes being made seem very "ADD". While change is the key for optimal growth, consistency for the customer's sake and for employee stress levels would help, and make sure any changes are given plenty of time to prove good changes or bad. Sometimes change for the sake of change is not a good environment to be in. Especially when it comes to positions within each store. Combining roles is a great way to effectively manage tasks without much lag time and have a more simple chain of command. Except that offering those tasks to a current employee then backing out, not even telling them, and they find out the hard way when a new employee is introduced to the store with the title or job description of the exact task that they were told they would be doing, seems to be common here.

Advice to Management

If you're going to promise a current employee a change or added task in their duties, including a raise in compensation, it would be wise to actually follow through and stick with what you said rather than change your mind and expect the employee to be ok with it. This has happened to me twice now. While it is understandable that plans change and directions change for certain jobs or tasks, making a legitimate offer or promise -including telling them they would get an increase in salary-- then backing out by hiring someone else for that task, all without telling the person you offered it to in the first place creates a lot of resentment. If you changed your mind, do right by the person you already made the offer to and at least tell them rather than they find out by being introduced to the new guy who will be doing the exact job they were promised.

Aug 14, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. As we are growing rapidly, we certainly need to do a better job communicating change. The personnel decisions are the most critical. It is always our goal to offer an open... More

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Technician in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Technician in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great opportunity for advancement within the company. Great environment to work in.

Cons

None that I can think of. The shop gets hot in the summer but thats pretty normal in this field.

Advice to Management

Communication is key to success.

Aug 14, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Although I cannot control the weather, we are doing a better job configuring the workspaces with commercial grade fans to keep the air moving. I feel for the... More

7. "Management"

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at a competitive dealership before working at Morrie's nothing compares. Morrie's is the best place to work Morrie's has heart.

Cons

Phone system needs to be replaced to many customers get hung up on. Missing out on opportunities, customers hate being hung up on then calling back having to start all over.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Jun 21, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback. I would love more detail on the comment regarding the phones. I certainly do not want have an inferior experience on the phone for employees or... More

8. "sales man"

I worked at Morries Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Fast paced
    Make your own salary
    Management

Cons

Commission was flat rated
    No advancement
    Not flexible with time off

Jun 21, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback, and the kind words. I am sorry that you did not recognize opportunity within Morrie's. We are growing rapidly, adding 5 new stores and seven brands to our portfolio. Further... More

"An awful company to work for!"

I worked at Morries Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Not many, some good people on the sales team

Cons

Management is terrible, they offer no help and are only out for themselves. The finance department is filled with dishonest crooks who put warranties and other products in customer's contracts hoping they don't notice.
    Upper management and the CEO have no idea what's going on at the store level, they either don't care or don't want to know.
    Salespeople are truly just a commodity, they churn them out of their "Buy Happy" program continually and few stay around for long.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to look at the poor quality store sales managers and weed them out.

Jul 17, 2017 – CEO

First , I am sorry that your experience left you with what appears to be a horrible sentiment about our company. Second, I would like to know where your comments about finance and upper management... More

10. "Great Company"

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Health insurance, pay is good, associate moral is good.

Cons

I have no real cons, I can't think of any.