Morries Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karl Schmidt

Pros
  • Morrie's has huge opportunity for growth within the company (in 5 reviews)

• Great schedule, awesome people , love the culture, company is growing and healthy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As always, the car dealership industry demands long hours, including your weekends (in 5 reviews)

• Young growing company experiencing some growing pains but your input is always welcome (in 3 reviews)

1. "manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

none at the present time

Advice to Management

continue to work hard

2. "In my third position in two years!"

Current Employee - Service BDC in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Service BDC in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So here is the thing: I have a very long career in Hospitality Management. A common thing in that world is the hotel being sold, and the new owners just cleaning house and hiring new people (the ultimate ego trip!). This happened at least half a dozen times to me, and every time I thought "I want to try and get a car sales job!", but before I could make that happen, I'd be forced financially to take another hospitality job. A time came when I could wait it out, and I interviewed with several of the other dealer groups in the metro, and wound up with 394 Hyundai as a salesperson. I had two of the kindest managers you could ask for, the training was absolutely top notch (and more recently, they've made a new training facility and given more resources to the trainer, who is easily my favorite person in the company).
    So I became a salesperson and failed. HARD. I'm certain that if I'd been hired at one of the competing dealer groups, they'd have shown me the door. I KNOW in the hotel world, I'd be out the door. Well, what happened to me is they offered me a position in the appointment center, on the phones. This was because they'd given me a personality test, which actually showed a higher likelihood of success in that role than in sales, but because they'd needed someone in sales, and because I so wanted it to work, they let me do it. I will ALWAYS be grateful for the opportunity to learn that I'm not a good salesperson, and also for being allowed to flourish where I have been very successful.
    In my current role, I'm very pleased with the combined appointment center, my current managers are both people who are very interested in us as people, not just as cogs in their machine. They are both receptive to our input (we recently started a 4 ten hour week, which has been absolutely heavenly!). I cannot say enough great things about these particular managers!

More generally: I have never worked with a more honest and morally upright group of people. The culture here is AMAZING! I have never felt such support and dignity from an employer, and I certainly wouldn't feel a need to help recruit for anyone else I've ever worked for! In spite of the three things I've described in the "cons", this is hands down the best place I've worked and I don't plan on leaving anytime in the foreseeable future!

Cons

My position pays like a sales position, when it's not one. The idea is you get an hourly wage plus a dollar amount for each appointment that shows up (in Service BDC) or each one that shows and sells (in Sales BDC). The thing is, we take many many non-appointment calls and I really think we're worth more on the hourly or a LOT more on the commission because we aren't salespeople, we can't just call people and demand they service their vehicles (we DO that to the extent we're able). There aren't networking groups to scare up service appointments, and unlike sales, it's possible to oversell a service department (at the end of the day there's only so many appointments to set, often it's hard to cater to a customer with a difficult or tight schedule), and it's hard to get people excited about servicing their vehicle, the way it's easy to get people excited for buying a new one.
    The other con for me is sick time and a lack of payroll deduction for service work. My car has about its value in work it could stand, but I can't come up with the cash for it, but I would be spending a lot more here at work if I could have it deducted over time. Also for sick time, no matter how long you're here (I'm coming into my 3rd year this month), you get 24 hours a year. That's it. And honestly for a commisioned position, "paid time off" is kind of a misnomer, because you're just getting the lower hourly paid, not your commissions. It's kind of like taking a sick day or a vacation when you're a tipped employee like a server. I don't see any reason why there should be less than 40 hours of sick time.

Advice to Management

I would say "Keep up the good work, the great new opportunities and wonderful culture we have, but I really think it would help a lot if the hourly folks were paid like hourly folks and not on commissions, and to be able to finance repairs on payroll deduction (within reason, I wouldn't expect to put nothing down on thousands of dollars), but I really think that would go a long way to making a job that's really great and has a lot to offer far more viable day to day.

3. "Great Company-New CEO and Owner Group, all for the positive!"

Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Parts Specialist in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a employee from the old ownership to the new, I have seen lots of changes for the good. First and for most our management staff has, changed and now we have management that actually cares about its employees. Regular pay increases, empowering the employees to make decisions without going through management to take care of the customer. Pleasant work environment, with a team atmosphere.

Cons

Hours can be long, or not your typical hours, however that is the automotive industry in general.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, employees are happy. I would encourage having some of the future employees peers sit in on interviews. Happy to see the company head in this direction with Karl and the group.

5. "An automotive group I can believe in"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Minetonka Mls, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Minetonka Mls, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable staff throughout, ample training opportunities that allow one to better hone their interests and career, and a culture that is keen on promoting from within.

Cons

As there has been a renewed shift for a customer-centric environment, there are outliers that need to be converted to the Morrie's way. Those outliers pull down the morale.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Fantastic company to work for.

6. "Working for Morrie's has provided me with a solid career path, and many great memories!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have shown great value in me, so I have incentive to work hard for them. Multiple promotions, a constant support group in my coworkers and management team, and a happy work day every time I show up for a shift. I'm able to learn, grow as an employee and person, and enjoy all of the time I'm doing it. I truly have no downsides, I'm very excited for what my future with Morrie's has in store.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to working here. In my three years as an employee of Morrie's, I have had the best experiences of my working life.

7. "Opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Morrie's has huge opportunity for growth within the company. Have seen detailers become management staff because they have a great work ethic. As long as you do not fall victim to taking shortcuts and skipping processes you can do very well. Compensation is great as long as you put in the effort and take care of customers. If you are lazy you won't make the money you could if you put in some hard work. With the Buy Happy program, the company holds to its values and gives a great value to the customer, making the sales process even easier. I would recommend working at Morrie's to anyone, and have to many people already.

Cons

Can be long hours, stressful as a sales role always is, and working Saturdays. Other employees negativity in the dealership.

Advice to Management

Possibly allow 1 Saturday a month off per employee if they choose to do so?

8. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Writer in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Writer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They go above and beyond to make sure their employee's are happy! Happy employee's means more productive employees. That said this is the first place I've worked where they have actually taken care of me. Management is open to new ideas, and responds well to them. Fun environment, everyone is always in a great mood, and happy to help. I couldn't ask for a better work place.

Cons

parking a block or so away.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. "Morries Brooklyn Park Subaru review"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great support from management and flexible

Cons

Sometimes we get so busy on Saturdays we need more management staff

Advice to Management

Make sure to be fair with everyone and to enforce the rules of being late to those who abuse it.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome staff, it's actually fun to work, laid back yet professional atmosphere. Helpful employee's.

Cons

Only con would be hours at times, which if you want a 9-5 would not recommend any sales job.

Advice to Management

No advice for management, managers actually help the employee's and get along well with us.

11. "Buy Happy & WORK Happy!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Morries Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work Culture, Fantastic Training, you get what you put in - Freedom of movement to work at your own pace // Ability to continually learn and grow in your position(s) // Great support staff from other co-workers, managers, and from other departments // Team atmosphere.

Cons

When you choose to put in long hours, remember you're doing it to be successful - don't complain // easy to get sucked into the 'sales cliques' // when it gets busy at the stores, its VERY Busy - be ready to multi task and work with multiple customers -

Advice to Management

You guys are terrific, keep up the great work!