Mortimer Bell International Reviews | Glassdoor

Mortimer Bell International Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Mortimer Bell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Should not be operating"

Pros

I can not find the words to say anything positive with this place. In fact if there was any positivity it would last around 5 minutes before being sucked out of you!

Cons

Despicable please to work. Avoid at all costs! Management is a pure joke, laughable even. To the companies that still associate with this company. I hope you see this and un-associate yourself with this company.

The constant disrespect of former employees is astonishing. I am surprised the management has not be taken to an employment tribunal.

Lesson learned. I shall always 100% ready companies reviews from current and old employees before accepting a role.

Advice to Management

Grow up!

2. "The real truth of working at Mortimer Bell"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Durham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Durham, England (UK)

I worked at Mortimer Bell International full-time

Pros

I have left MBI due to relocating to Birmingham with my partner and while job hunting I read reviews of my new employer and then saw the reviews of MBI and i was shocked as it didnt reflect the business at all.

This is the first time I have left a review on glass door, the reason I have decided to leave a review is because some of the reviews are not accurate.

I cannot speak on what the company was like previously to me joining, but I can speak about my experience for last 18 months. So firstly I enjoyed working and If i didn't I would not have stayed in company for as long as did, secondly I was not treat badly during my employment with them.

I worked directly with the Owner and was able to learn a great deal from him and this is something I would have never got at another agency in Newcastle. I was put through 2 internal recruitment training courses and was constantly learning on the job, in regards to new employees the company does a 3 day training course which covers - recruitment - the company - databases / sales training. You will not be thrown in the deep end to drown.

The company has some great pro's and this can be seen in team night outs, training, banter and overall the company culture. My main pro is that there is no hierarchy or the feeling anyone is better than the other, while there is of course the element of competition the owner has made sure that the culture is still fun and enjoyable and everyone in the office wants to see you do well.

The office location is perfect with being just of Grey Street and the commission structure is one of the best in the Newcastle area. Also the owner allowed me to use his car parking space in town for free so I thank him for that as it saved me £40 per week. I can also confirm I was always paid my commission.

Cons

I really enjoyed my time here. While there are negatives to working in recruitment, I couldn't hold MBI responsible for them as it would be the same in any recruitment agency including my new employer.

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to work here and I will miss you all. I look forward to seeing the company grow.

3. "Honestly do not know where some of the previous reviews are coming from! MBI avoids making the same mistakes as others"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Mortimer Bell International  (Less than a year)

Pros

- The guys in the office.
    - They are always there and they give great advice and are exceptionally helpful.
    - The owner is in the office and you work directly with him. Very few other companies (especially larger recruitment companies) have this level of exposure to management.
    - It is good because you learn more this way and you progress quicker and you are rewarded faster

- Great atmosphere. Banter is inter-weaved into the work.
    - Much better than some other recruitment agencies I have witnessed first-hand where micromanagement, belittlement, ridiculous hours, lies, and false promises seem to be the MO.

- Fun varied work. Talking to people on the phone keeps your brain engaged and each person you talk to is different which keeps you on your toes.
    - What you put in is what you get out.
    - Lots of autonomy, you can prioritise what you think is important in order to get the best commission possible.
    - Commission scheme is clear (again I do not know where some of the previous reviews are coming from)
    - KPIs are only a guide, not a barrier. You are allowed to do as many phone calls as you like, download as many CVs as you like etc. It is up to you to decide what the best approach is.

- Career progression here is unrivalled. The company is currently looking to grow and is taking on employees as I write this.
    - I know from personal experience that if the owner trusts you, he will give you the role you deserve.

- I personally recommend applying to MBI if you are a young person who is outgoing and confident with good sales skills.
    - It is a career opportunity for the right person and the application process is designed to determine whether or not you are the right person.
    - I joined with no experience, but this is not a barrier as long as you have the right characteristics and personality.
    - MBI is perfect for a young person looking to work in a corporate environment and grow with the company over a long time period.

- Office is very clean and clutter-free.
    - Have a nice view of BrewDog.
    - In a great central location, 5 min walk from either Monument or Central station, right in the heart of Newcastle.

Cons

- Recruitment is not for everyone which is perhaps why there are some negative reviews.
    - I imagine some of the previous reviews come from people who had no previous experience in recruitment and perhaps blamed their negative experience on MBI, which is unfair to say the least.

- Training is informal, but the best way to learn is by doing.
    - I was nervous making my first few phone calls, but after some pointers and clear instructions from the guys, I got better and better.
    - MBI will help you and give you instruction where you need it, but they do expect you to be able to think for yourself and they will not "hold your hand".
    - So ultimately it is up to you, such is the nature of recruitment (again this is why I think there were some unjustified negative reviews).

- Really MBI has no cons. The only negatives are the negatives that go hand-in-hand with recruitment.
    - This is the best recruitment agency I know and I have witnessed many others who are a nightmare to work for!

Advice to Management

Excellent thus far! The owner has worked for some of those unscrupulous recruitment agencies which I alluded to earlier and he has succeeded in creating a company and environment which is as far away removed from those places as possible.

Be sure to offer extra support to newcomers with no previous recruitment experience as it can be very daunting for them!

Other than that, keep up the good work!

"Do not be fooled!!!"

Pros

I guess the only pro would be the free water from the cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if you are charged for this now

Cons

Please note the previous 'excellent' reviews have been written either by the owner or employees told by the owner to write a review of this horrendous company.
    I can not understand how this company is still trading.
    The owner hires employees who have not been involved with recruitment previously as this gives him a great sense of power to be able to attempt to mould them into his little minions, believe you me any experienced recruiter would be absolutely appauled at the conditions/managment/hours/KPIs....actually lets be honest the whole dam thing!
    I urge anyone that is considering a role at this company to please think again.
    Mortimer Bell International is an absolute insult to recruitment agencies. If you want to be spoken to like you're a child, if you want to be stressed enough lose sleep, if you want to work stupid hours that you will not get paid for, if you want your relationships to suffer outside of work, then this is the place to be!
    The owner states he is an excellent recruiter that was top biller at his previous company. Since leaving Mortimer bell I have since found out that he was shockingly bad at his job and really never billed much. His name is apparently still on the wall at said agency...please note his name has never been on the wall!
    I get so mad writing this and feel like I am lowering myself to his level being so negative towards someone else. BUT as a human being I feel it is my duty to warn anyone about this horrendous company!
    Save your health
    Save your sanity
    Take a different path and there is no career path there!
    Since leaving I have now been introduced to what an actually company is like to work for!

Advice to Management

There is none. No matter what is said or done this manager will never change his spots, he will not listen, he is above everyone, he is king, he is the great business owner of all! Bravo!!

I just hope the above and the many comments below will give someone the warning they need and stay clear of this company for your own sake!

"Worst job in the world!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Mortimer Bell International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be completely honest, this company doesn't have many pros. One of them is the city centre location and the other is the person I worked alongside, he was a decent guy!

Cons

I'm actually worried when I start writing the cons of this company, I won't be able to stop as they are absolutely horrendous! By far the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of working for.
    As you can see, this company states it has 51-200 employees and is "international". Yeah right! When I worked there, there was myself, another employee, the manager and the owner.
    The day at Mortimer Bell is so chaotic with no sense of direction. Management are constantly talking about how big the company will be in 5 years and do not concentrate on what's happening at this present time.
    KPIs are changed on a daily basis, generally always increased which make it almost impossible to meet them! Motivation consists of getting told "keep it up guys!" or the owner telling you how amazing he is, how much money he makes etc.
    The company is NOT professional at all and they have a huge staff turn over. Management will discuss previous employees with such disregard and no doubt they're doing the exact same about myself.
    The owner is so disrespectful and condescending. The only thing he is good at is belittling you and making you feel like you aren't good enough. As a company they are so cut throat and ruthless it's actually unbelievable.
    The commission structure would be quite good if you ever got it! The company very rarely wins jobs and when they do, it's always weeks after other agencies have attempted to fill the roles and failed. 90% of jobs on their website are fake!!!
    You are paid the bare minimum are expected to stay well after your contracted hours for free. Hard work and dedication is NOT appreciated. You are constantly expected to work that little bit harder! It's a joke!
    I absolutely detested the place and I've never ever been so happy to leave somewhere in my life.

Advice to Management

Continue acting the way you do and you will never be the company you aspire to be! Treat your staff with respect.

6. "Excellent Place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Mortimer Bell International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic office environment with very friendly and helpful staff. From the day I started the support and guidance has been second to non. The initial 3 day training course set me up for what was to come. Throughout my time here there senior members of staff have been nothing but helpful and supportive guiding me in the right direction.

If mistakes are made then colleagues are always there to help a guiding hand. The office goes against the "norm" for what peoples perceptions of "office environment" is like, everyone is treat as an equal where success and failure are shared with everyone.

It's not very often you can wake up on a morning and be excited to go to work in a fun, fast paced environment.

Cons

The hours of work are very long which minimises social time but....the rewards at the end of the day are worth the hours worked.

Advice to Management

Strive for greatness every single day, success is right around the corner...there's no such thing as "wasted" effort!

7. "Was concerend due to previous reviews but after joining Mortimer Bell i think it a great place to work"

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Newcastle, England (UK)

I have been working at Mortimer Bell International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As mentioned above in the title i was concerned about applyign for a job at this company due to some negative reviews. But netherless i decieded to make me own opionion and go for a interview.
    I also interviewed at other recruitment agencys in Newcastle Nigel Frank and Hays and i decided that i would accept the offer at Mortimer Bell.
    I can see the company has made changes and there has been New manager appointed who is very approachable and i was given 1 week class room training before touching the phones and for someone like me who is new to recruitment this was very helpful.
    I am really enjoying working here and recently done my first placement and again I had no issues receiving my commission. I wouldn't take the negative reviews into account too much and go for a interview and make your own operation like I did.

Cons

Not specific to MBI but the hours in recruitment can get draining sometimes.

"Unprofessional"

Pros

The people I worked along side with

Cons

I could write a novel to explain just how bad Mortimer Bell is to work for and I honestly believe people would find this very hard to believe.
    Firstly the level of professionalism is non existent. The owner has no respect for his staff.
    when you start you are promised training - 'training' consists of sitting in the office getting told how amazing the owner is at his job. pointing and making you feel worthless. after which you are expected to go head first into the recruitment world knowing what your doing.
    expectations were far to high and the KPIs changed on a weekly and sometime a daily basis!

I have never in all my life been spoken to and humiliated so much as what you are at Mortimer Bell International.
    'International' - No this company is not international.

Although the commission plan is exceptionally good, this is very rarely paid to the staff, again with rules and KPIs changing regular its virtually impossible to keep anything consistent - during my time there I placed a number of people in roles but never seen any of the commission!

Advice to Management

quit your day job!

"A joke. Avoid at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle, England (UK)

I worked at Mortimer Bell International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

City Centre location. Excellent view of highly popular BrewDog pub.

Cons

Utterly ridiculous place to work. If you survive the 13 hour days, the regular ranting sessions from a management seemingly incapable of deciding what they want to do, and the constant repetitions of 'push it people' supposedly motivating you to work ever harder, then you could have a career at mortimer bell. KPI's change on a sometimes weekly basis. Targets are unrealistic, and not based on reality. A bonus structure is in place, but management will also try and deny you that bonus at every opportunity with ridiculous excuses. Also be warned that the clueless management, who do not contribute in any meaningful way to the activity of the firm seem to operate on a policy of flogging their staff for approx 6 months then making life so unbearable you will either quit or be fired for not achieving ridiculous standards just before you are due to be paid hard earned commission.

Advice to Management

Contribute to the business. Wake up to modern recruiting techniques, and do some work.

"Chaotic"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Mortimer Bell International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity (when the targets aren't changed on a weekly basis) to make bonus.
    City Centre location

Cons

Where to begin;

As you will see from here it sells itself as 50 plus employees..... there are currently 4 including the owner.

There is literally ZERO consistency at Mortimer Bell, with constant changing of goalposts. KPIs and targets set get changed on a weekly basis. The basic salary is around £3-5000 less than market rate whilst the commission is ok.

I used to dread coming into work every day as there is no plan and no direction to where this company is going. Also absolutely zero training is provided for the role you are expected to just get on with it.

I have worked at various companies and have never even come close to an experience to rival this one for bad quality.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on retaining staff rather than talking constantly about expansion plans.