Morton Salt Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Morton Salt CEO Christian Herrmann
Christian Herrmann

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, Benefits, Hours, Environment, New Trajectory

Cons

No Cons that I have experienced. Great place to work!

Morton Salt2017-10-24

"More work for less pay / no appreciation"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Close to Ogilvie Transportation Center

Cons

More & more work is dumped on the Employee. The manager transfers accounts to another employee instead of placing them for collection negatively impacting the numbers for the employee the account is transferred to. No attempt is made to allow for a smaller staff (the department continued to be downsized) to complete additional work and overtime was not to be allowed so employees worked additional hours without compensation just to stay afloat. Work at home days were transitory & changed at the whim of the managers with no employee input.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites among employees.

Morton Salt2019-03-02

"Paid Well, But Overworked"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in South Hutchinson, KS

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, excellent experience in industrial chemical production - had to become an expert in repairs because the facility would not outlay for needed capital improvements.

Cons

The job required 55-60 hours a week and fast paced shifts. The technical/scientific divisions were very under-staffed and as such, it was almost impossible to get ahead of the problems. Little chance for advancement (someone basically had to die or retire for promotions to become available... and when they were available, they did not promote from within)

Advice to Management

Spend on capital improvements.

Morton Salt2018-03-13

"Needs so much improvement"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Not much in the lines of "pros" at this company! It used to be a great company to work for. Now that it is no longer a US owned company, things have gone downhill and fast!!!

Cons

Management needs to stop the favoritism! Take a look at the talent you have and help develop it. Sorry to say but this company needs to revamp its upper and middle management.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism! Be fair to ALL the employees, not just your favorite ones!!

Morton Salt2017-04-21

"No performance reviews"

Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt

Pros

My position paid very well. It is in a great location for commuters, able to walk from Union, Rock, Ogilvy, and Orange Line.

Cons

I felt like there was nowhere to grow because there was no performance reviews. I never knew how I was performing. At one point I got a raise and was not told why so I assumed I was doing well. I then heard through the grape vine that my manager told our new VP that I wasn't cutting it. I found this VERY odd since I had never been informed this and I had received a raise. Had my manager had an issue with me I thought it would only be fair for her to tell me instead of telling others and have it get back to me. I was too scared to apply for other position because I felt like my manager would tell them I wouldn't cut it in that position since she had no problem telling our VP. I ended up leaving companies, I truly thought I'd be at Morton for at least 5 years.

Advice to Management

Even if HR doesn't have a set performance review try to have meeting with your employees to set expectations. You have a great brand if you had a better work environment I believe retention could be a lot better.

Morton Salt2016-03-11
  6. "Great company"

Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt for less than a year

Pros

Good team. Great benefits.Good training.

Cons

not many full time opportunites

Morton Salt2015-11-27

"Old school"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good locations in the city, they pay very well. Salaried employees are only contracted 37 hours. No one really cares if you have to leave early.

Cons

Old school mentality. They do not let you know how you are doing. Do not try to grow individuals in their career. Only hear feedback if you are doing poorly.

Morton Salt2015-08-12

"analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I do not have much to say regarding Pros for this company. Years ago, it was an excellent company to work for. Salary and benefits are considerably average. With the outsourcing of jobs and moving jobs outside the USA, there is too much uneasiness amongst the staff.

Cons

Company is drastically downsizing, outsourcing and moving jobs outside the USA. Career advancement is literally stagnant. Management has changed and they are no longer willing to work with the employees. Company has changed over the years and I am sorry to say that so far these changes haven't been proven to be a good thing.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Listen to their concerns and desires.

Morton Salt2015-01-18
  9. "Decent company good pay changing environment"

Analyst in Chicago

I worked at Morton Salt

Pros

Great quality products with a multinational experience available, if winter snows significantly as in last 2 years cannot help but make money enabling above average bonuses. Moving to a new building in 2016 year end for corporate office with an open floor plan concept, work density will increase by 200 percent but you will be able to interact with majority of employees and managers. It will be new, bright, inviting and loud. A large percentage of employees that were there when the company was purchased in 2009 have been turned over resulting in many new opportunities. Pay is very good overall.

Cons

Ok lets face it, this company either injects water into the ground to take salt out of the ground heat it and make into consumer products or else blows the hell out of a wall of salt underground and scoops it up for use when it snows. The goal is to minimize mistakes in this process. It requires a large amount of capital and so competition is not too great. Sometimes they pump salt water into a field and let the sun dry it. By definition this is not the most exciting of industries and in order to compete you need great cost control and great selling price decisions and minimal errors. It is a transportation, distribution, labor and weather. They need people to organize and oversee consultant ideas at corporate to be woven into a seamless shapeshifting plan for implementation and presentations. If you are good at this you should do fine for most jobs. When everything goes in a positive direction you can give the impression you can effect these things and you can do very well. But when the weather turns negative or energy and distribution charges surge (they are at multiyear lows right now) the seamless plan begins leaking and you need a new stream of seamless plans, that can be tiring. Management is prone to change plans quickly, if it does not snow and profits fall US employees will suffer as in 2014 when no raises given for American employees. Expect a few plant closures if a couple of years with no snow. Since company was purchased by German company K+S and CEO Christian Herrmann is their former liaison for investor relations from Germany, he tends to have a short term focus and German employees have outsized voice on perceived performance of employees within corporate. Also CEO tends to be like a distracted dog chasing a bone with ideas consultants recommend.

Advice to Management

Pray for continued snow it makes for lower production costs and higher sales dollars making whatever plans the consultants are implementing and giving you to implement look good and will maximize your performance bonuses and makes things such as warehouse walls collapsing salt onto a car dealership from overloaded salt on a wall not so career threatening.

Morton Salt2015-05-22