Morton Salt Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2020

2.1
Morton Salt CEO Christian Herrmann
Christian Herrmann
  1. "Toxic Work Environment"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Cape Canaveral, FL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time

Pros

Pay and Paid Time Off are above average

Cons

Started 2020 with a positive and optimistic hope for a positive direction moving forward. Unfortunately, discriminatory work practices, harassment, and self induced divisiveness between employees and departments abounds and appears to be escalating. Situation almost appears to be by design but not sure how a positive outcome can be achieved under those conditions.

Advice to Management

Address this issue with a positive and professional attitude.

Morton Salt2020-01-16
  2. "Great Brand"

I worked at Morton Salt full-time

Pros

Great Brand with high potential

Cons

No strategy but hope. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Focus on Engineering not on Marketing. Long term thinking instead of short term success. Allow truth and honesty. Understand safety, don’t preach it.

Morton Salt2020-01-15
  3. "Going in the right direction!"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture - people and environment Great Pay and Benefits Company is going through some change but it is evident that they are trying to do the right thing. Parent company in Germany is becoming more involved but allowing Morton Salt to hold onto its iconic brand.

Cons

Work needed on standard processes but evidenced that is in the works

Advice to Management

Change management is tough- although no company can ever do it perfect, ensure communications are frequent and transparent.

Morton Salt2020-01-11

"Shameless"

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than a year

Pros

thinking, thinking, none...some say close to the train station

Cons

Rooted deep in the history of this company is a mentality of: “I will show you who the boss is…and there is nothing you can say or do that will stop my behaviour…”. To add to the complexity of the matters is an HR department that tries to serve and protect the sick culture that lurks deep in the “freshly painted walls”. If you like collecting a paycheck then this is the right place for you. Just remember that one day when you are no longer the “teachers favorite pet” they will not hesitate to take you out the pet friendly shelter any way they can.

Advice to Management

None, other than you are deteriorating.

Morton Salt2019-11-29

"Confused"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Cape Canaveral, FL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent pay. Mid level to easy work load

Cons

No leadership. There is no true leader here. Leadership remains to be seen. Who is in charge?? Hello anyone there??? We don’t need a buddy with fist daps. We need somekne open to all suggestion. I have seen racism comments that’s not true st all they just feel minoroties have their place which currently is the bottom. No advancement at all. That is fine but don’t act like you care. Stay true to who you are. Nothing is fixed properly yet we have an entire maintenance team that sit and relax more than half the day. Yet leadership turns a blind eye. Being united is how we can make it. Hiding and being deceitful comes back to bite ya in the a.... so many new people yet everyone walks around confused and will say. Don’t ask me I was never directed on what to do. We hear If your not a person for clicks this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

What is the number to the local union office. We need true leader.

Morton Salt2019-09-26

"SMH"

Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Company is located downtown, easy commute.

Cons

Very poor management, employees are very insecure.

Advice to Management

Need professional training.

Morton Salt2019-09-23

"Work somewhere else"

Current Employee - Production in Rittman, OH

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is ok if you were hired before 2015

Cons

Safety credo is a joke CEO doesn’t care about people Company don’t care about its employees Health insurance is the worst in the area No work life balance No appreciation

Advice to Management

Retire

Morton Salt2019-09-18

"Positive"

Current Employee - Associate in Rittman, OH

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Upper mgmt is where you need to be. Attended a recent Safety Conf and let’s say the big boys know how to party. New Orleans and French Quarters lets say nothing wasn’t done.

Cons

Safety Credo is wait until after dark and they party hearty. They do know social media is rampant. No professionalism safety is not important having a good time is though. Loved it

Advice to Management

Great job can’t wait to hang out next year.

Morton Salt2019-09-04

"Worst Communicator Ever!!!!"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Fairport Harbor, OH

I worked at Morton Salt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Worst communicator between upper and middle management. I was told " No communication is good communication." No training at middle management level. High stress and they try compensate by throwing money at supervisors. Extremely high salary position turn over. Stay away!!!

Cons

All cons nothing good about this place.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with your supervisors. Stop canceling training for production.

Morton Salt2019-08-25

"New Upper Management: No Innovative Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morton Salt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great name to put on your resume. If you’re not a manager: you will have plenty of job duties and an expanded skillset to add as bullet points to help you get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

Favoritism runs rampant here. Shift from a hierarchical org. to a matrix structure and yet there’s an unspoken chain of command firmly in place. Completely inaccessible and clueless CEO. VP’s that spend endless time rehearsing speeches about innovation, promoting change, building the brand, and customer centricity, and providing transparency. Lots of new buzz words and very few deliverables or ROI to back it up. Lots of talking about wanting feedback....and yet any employees that dare to step out of line and speak to anyone but the manager they report to will be harshly reprimanded. Most of the upper management here spends a majority of their time and efforts making sure to get face time with parent company and “sell” how important and vital they are to the company’s success.

Advice to Management

Stop the endless self promoting elevator pitches. Listen to the people doing the work, give them the authority and resources needed to be successful. The tighter you hold onto something in your hand the more that slips through it.

Morton Salt2019-07-15